Ps2 loses Format after a restart, EVERY time. FMCB Help

Hello All,

Hoping to get some help here as this has been driving me absolutely insane for about 2 weeks now. First off, I have 2 PS2's, 3 different FMCB mem cards, two Sata Connectors (Game Star and RGEEK) and 2 different HDDs Sata, Western Digital 1tb and a WD 3tb.

About a month ago, I decided I wanted to enhance my Ps2 gaming by introducing an internal HDD to play games without worry of file size or speed issues that occur from USB. I followed a Blaine Locklair Tut on Youtube for Ultimate PS2 Guide for internal Gaming and had no issues getting the initial set of games on there running via FMCB and OPL. I used it for about 2 weeks without any hiccups and then one evening I decided I wanted to add some more games. This is when the problem occured and has yet to remedy. I believe I moved the folder destination back a level in OPL Manager on PC side and in doing so messed up the File Structure system and wasnt able to get the HDD to recognize. After a couple failed attempts at righting whatever I messed up, I decided it best to just wipe the drive and start over from scratch. The problem is, even after using a new setup of the required programs, I could not for the life of me get the PS2 to either connect or keep the HDD Formatted.

I thought maybe the Sata Connector was bad so I ordered a new one. (This was after ordering a new FMCB Mem card and still had the same issue.) New Sata connector came in, Again, started fresh and STILL had the issue of the HDD being Connected or Formatted in the PS2. I tried formatting the HDD from PC side Using WinHIIP instead of thru Misc / HDD Manager in FMCB Mem card and even then, same result. So at this point I figured the HDD was dead.

I broke down and used a 500gb drive I was using to store PC games and formatted the drive to MBR after initializing the disc and then connected and formatted via the ps2. took the HDD out hooked it back up to the PC with the Sata Power USB data tool and added games and new ART etc. When It completed I moved the HDD back to the Ps2 and plugged it in and fired it up and bam, says Connected but not Formatted. This has been the case EVERY time since and I even tried using a DIFFERENT Ps2 and a new HDD. After carefully examining the files from the Guide to what I got on my side I noticed that when I format the HDD on the PS2 all folders are created but the __boot folder. SO I would manually create one just like I do for +OPL and when I either open FHDB to install via ps2 it says drive not formatted.

This is when I realized what is happening... EVERY time I power down either PS2 AFTER formatting the drive, it completely vanishes on a restart, like it was never formatted in the first place. Its like the Format isnt holding after a power cycle or power off.

Haven't seen anyone else really have this scenerio so I thought hell, Ill cave and ask.

PS - I even tried the newest OPL update (GriMDoomer) that lets you use exFat and Larger HDDS (my WD 3tb) but that was even doing the same! I literally was fine a month ago and playing away, so I feel like its some type of file issue or pc issue that is causing this to suddenly happen to any and every System and HDD I try on.

Sorry for the long post,
Toke

Last edited by DinohScene,

JaapDaniels

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hello All,

Hoping to get some help here as this has been driving me absolutely insane for about 2 weeks now. First off, I have 2 PS2's, 3 different FMCB mem cards, two Sata Connectors (Game Star and RGEEK) and 2 different HDDs Sata, Western Digital 1tb and a WD 3tb.

About a month ago, I decided I wanted to enhance my Ps2 gaming by introducing an internal HDD to play games without worry of file size or speed issues that occur from USB. I followed a Blaine Locklair Tut on Youtube for Ultimate PS2 Guide for internal Gaming and had no issues getting the initial set of games on there running via FMCB and OPL. I used it for about 2 weeks without any hiccups and then one evening I decided I wanted to add some more games. This is when the problem occured and has yet to remedy. I believe I moved the folder destination back a level in OPL Manager on PC side and in doing so messed up the File Structure system and wasnt able to get the HDD to recognize. After a couple failed attempts at righting whatever I messed up, I decided it best to just wipe the drive and start over from scratch. The problem is, even after using a new setup of the required programs, I could not for the life of me get the PS2 to either connect or keep the HDD Formatted.

I thought maybe the Sata Connector was bad so I ordered a new one. (This was after ordering a new FMCB Mem card and still had the same issue.) New Sata connector came in, Again, started fresh and STILL had the issue of the HDD being Connected or Formatted in the PS2. I tried formatting the HDD from PC side Using WinHIIP instead of thru Misc / HDD Manager in FMCB Mem card and even then, same result. So at this point I figured the HDD was dead.

I broke down and used a 500gb drive I was using to store PC games and formatted the drive to MBR after initializing the disc and then connected and formatted via the ps2. took the HDD out hooked it back up to the PC with the Sata Power USB data tool and added games and new ART etc. When It completed I moved the HDD back to the Ps2 and plugged it in and fired it up and bam, says Connected but not Formatted. This has been the case EVERY time since and I even tried using a DIFFERENT Ps2 and a new HDD. After carefully examining the files from the Guide to what I got on my side I noticed that when I format the HDD on the PS2 all folders are created but the __boot folder. SO I would manually create one just like I do for +OPL and when I either open FHDB to install via ps2 it says drive not formatted.

This is when I realized what is happening... EVERY time I power down either PS2 AFTER formatting the drive, it completely vanishes on a restart, like it was never formatted in the first place. Its like the Format isnt holding after a power cycle or power off.

Haven't seen anyone else really have this scenerio so I thought hell, Ill cave and ask.

PS - I even tried the newest OPL update (GriMDoomer) that lets you use exFat and Larger HDDS (my WD 3tb) but that was even doing the same! I literally was fine a month ago and playing away, so I feel like its some type of file issue or pc issue that is causing this to suddenly happen to any and every System and HDD I try on.

Sorry for the long post,
Toke
simple questions:
  1. Is it a real HDD or an SSD?
  2. Is the HDD aboutr as full as it gets?
  3. Is your HDD given enough power?
  4. Do you soft power down your PS2 or hard disconnect the power?

1. SSD might need a little power to keep data stored, for it can be using a sort of ram.
  2. Could be it only works like hybernate state for pc, full drive makes this impossible.
  3. Low power might mean data isnot stored powerfull enough.
  4. A lot of systems needs to reset all registers before booting, by a too fast shutdown this register state of the HDD might become corrupted.

tokenknee

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
simple questions:
  1. Is it a real HDD or an SSD?
  2. Is the HDD aboutr as full as it gets?
  3. Is your HDD given enough power?
  4. Do you soft power down your PS2 or hard disconnect the power?

1. SSD might need a little power to keep data stored, for it can be using a sort of ram.
  2. Could be it only works like hybernate state for pc, full drive makes this impossible.
  3. Low power might mean data isnot stored powerfull enough.
  4. A lot of systems needs to reset all registers before booting, by a too fast shutdown this register state of the HDD might become corrupted.
Hello,
1.) it is a WD 1tb SATA HD (WD10EZEX, no IDE ribbons etc)
2.) Not evwen close on being full. The first time I set it up it had maybe 100gb on it, and worked without issues. It wasn't until I went to add more games a 3rd time via WinHIIP that it then started to not show the HDD files ps2 side. When I put it back into the PC, it shows all the games and file structure via WInHIIP and doesn't show any structure or file errors. So I am thinking its something to do PC setting side or PS2 side, although I have 2 PS2's. (#39001 and a 50001) The 50001 SCPH model was the initial one I was using without issue until the above mentioned happen. Thus I busted out the SCPH 39001 but still recieve the Format Loop on both.

3) Yes, I am using a SATA to usb with external power to connect via PC to use WinHIIP and OPL Manager, etc. I power it up and down correctly via Safe to remove device, then power brick unplug and wait 30-45 seconds before moving the Drive in case its spinning down.

4.) I have tried both Soft powerdown and Complete Power Down and the result is always the same. In fact, Its like as soon as UlaunchElf is closed or I go to open FHDB to install it, it says its unformatted there as well, almost like the ULaunchElf is the issue but Ive tried 3 different versions of it. Im to the point of just living with USB - sided games and Emulator on PC for the rest. I Just dont understand why it worked flawlessly for 2 weeks and then all the sudden, even with every component and software changed out, same result with the Formats not holding after a program change or power cycle. Thought it was weird as well that the __Boot folder isnt made anymore after a reformat on the ps2 side as well.

its a doozy of a head scratcher for sure. The main response I have seen from browsing hours of this same issue was that certain versions of OPL and FMCB do not allow the use of 3rd party Sata connectors and the original ps2 Network adapter converted to Sata is needed or n older version of OPL and ULaunch?

fringle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Do any of your adapters have an actual network port? If so have you tried formatting on the PS2 and transferring you files via network? It takes a while but that how I loaded all of mine on, but I also have a genuine adapter that I upgraded to sata.

tokenknee

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do any of your adapters have an actual network port? If so have you tried formatting on the PS2 and transferring you files via network? It takes a while but that how I loaded all of mine on, but I also have a genuine adapter that I upgraded to sata.
Sadly, No. I have the 3rd party ones, RGEEK and Game Star. The part that throws me off is I used the Game Star one without fail for the first few weeks.

I even tried the newest release of OPL that just requires you to format in eXfat and create DVD and CD folders on the Drive and plug and play but it didnt show either. ALthough, I'm not all real sure how I am supposed to setup the drive and what to have on the Mem card and USB stick to use that version of eXfat on a 3TB.
Post automatically merged:

The only other thing I can think of is, I had a couple FMCB cards that all came in at once and were different versions. 1.953 and 2 1.966' and I think at one point I mixed them up so maybe I have a conflicting OPL versions or something colliding and causing the issues? Like, Im pretty sure when I had it up and running I was using the 1.953 variable but at some point had 1.966 inserted and it was working still but I also tried to replace the >ELFs for the newest GrimDoomer that allows the 3tb + eXfat install so that might be why the newest version isnt working. Hell I dont know. I am pulling out the little hair I have left haha!

Last edited by tokenknee,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: it looks like a little kids' game, and bunny (welcome btw) is looking for an uncensor patch