PS1/2 best method of playing backups on a slim PS2?

playstays_shun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
login and pass should be admin for both.
use this image as reference, replace the server ip address with your own. you can use dhcp but I personally prefer to use static ip.
that should be enough to make it work.

img_0033-jpg.153791

Excellent thanks. Figured it out a minute ago

Glad
To confirm settings

Reactions: Alexander1970

playstays_shun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
login and pass should be admin for both.
use this image as reference, replace the server ip address with your own. you can use dhcp but I personally prefer to use static ip.
that should be enough to make it work.

img_0033-jpg.153791

Do fmv’s ever skip for you
?

Over usb they are downright unplayable but one game I tried it pauses every few seconds. I’m hoping it’s exception to the rule

I know smb is slower than internal hard drive on the fat model or ps2netbox but I’m hoping it’s not an issue In General

Also do you have problems with it picking up connection On boot until you “reconnect” in settings of OPL?

Thanks for all your help you’re great

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
Do fmv’s ever skip for you
?

Over usb they are downright unplayable but one game I tried it pauses every few seconds. I’m hoping it’s exception to the rule

I know smb is slower than internal hard drive on the fat model or ps2netbox but I’m hoping it’s not an issue In General

Also do you have problems with it picking up connection On boot until you “reconnect” in settings of OPL?

Thanks for all your help you’re great
my test game is battle stadium don and the opening plays fine over eth, I've also tested the attract and intro of drakengard and also plays fine, haven't played the game though.

the ps2 usually boots faster than the minirouter, so you are better off setting eth to manual so you can wait until the minirouter boots up before pressing X to load the list.

Reactions: playstays_shun

playstays_shun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my test game is battle stadium don and the opening plays fine over eth, I've also tested the attract and intro of drakengard and also plays fine, haven't played the game though.

the ps2 usually boots faster than the minirouter, so you are better off setting eth to manual so you can wait until the minirouter boots up before pressing X to load the list.

Thanks!

I’m assuming some games just skip fmv’s or take brief load periods like The Bouncer it says it does in compatibility list.

playstays_shun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

bad luck... mine just went bad. not the hard drive or ps2 but the mini router

ordering another I expect my luck was just not good since you've been using this as a solution for a while sounds like.

Also the USB port was crooked on one side enough I had to lightly forcefully jam it in the mini router

Last edited by playstays_shun,

Sakitoshi

Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
bad luck... mine just went bad. not the hard drive or ps2 but the mini router

ordering another I expect my luck was just not good since you've been using this as a solution for a while sounds like.

Also the USB port was crooked on one side enough I had to lightly forcefully jam it in the mini router
what a shame.
I indeed have been using it for a long time without an issue and also did the same for a friend.
well in fact one of the 2 mini routers I have now kind of "died" on its own, stopped even turning on the leds, but after a couple hours I went to examine it, plugged it in and started working again, it has never failed again.

playstays_shun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what a shame.
I indeed have been using it for a long time without an issue and also did the same for a friend.
well in fact one of the 2 mini routers I have now kind of "died" on its own, stopped even turning on the leds, but after a couple hours I went to examine it, plugged it in and started working again, it has never failed again.

its all good ill give it another try..

its weird the light comes on, just doesn't connect to ps2.

tried hard reset pin too, same problem. laptop doesn't recognize the IP address printed on the side to pull up the settings

I almost feel like it happened as soon as I changed setting to manual for ETH instead of auto and saved (on that boot up of the system, same time, it stopped working ) , but I seriously seriously doubt that had any impact /anything software related would, lol I think I just got a bum unit

playstays_shun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what a shame.

Is there an easy way to run an updated OPL build from the one that came with my FMCB memory card?

Don’t mind if updating on memory card or to play it safe, maybe run it from hard drive if possible? Not sure

I think it may help w compatibilitynim on 0.9.3

Sakitoshi

Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
Is there an easy way to run an updated OPL build from the one that came with my FMCB memory card?

Don’t mind if updating on memory card or to play it safe, maybe run it from hard drive if possible? Not sure

I think it may help w compatibilitynim on 0.9.3
- go here: http://www.ps2-home.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3&sid=47cc3bc961b07f8e93b261f230b5f9d9
and download the latest daily build (FYI, RTL means it supports right to left languages).
- inside the zip a there is a OPNPS2LD.ELF file, copy that file to a (fat32 formatted) pendrive and plug it into your ps2.
- turn on your ps2 and open ulaunchelf.
- if you want to just test it the new opl you can open it directly from the pendrive (mass:/).
- if you want to replace your current opl version then locate that very same file inside of your memory card and replace it (it should be inside of the apps, boot or opl folder).
- profit.

playstays_shun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
- go here: http://www.ps2-home.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3&sid=47cc3bc961b07f8e93b261f230b5f9d9
and download the latest daily build (FYI, RTL means it supports right to left languages).
- inside the zip a there is a OPNPS2LD.ELF file, copy that file to a (fat32 formatted) pendrive and plug it into your ps2.
- turn on your ps2 and open ulaunchelf.
- if you want to just test it the new opl you can open it directly from the pendrive (mass:/).
- if you want to replace your current opl version then locate that very same file inside of your memory card and replace it (it should be inside of the apps, boot or opl folder).
- profit.

Thanks and is there a need to rename cfg folder ? I heard it was renamed for newer builds. Does that impact something I need to do with OPL manager?

Wanna be cautious

Also can this be done from my same hard drive used for games temporarily hooked up to USB port, or do I have to put it on a thumb drive. Do u think a usb to sd card would work? I can always get another thumb drive if need be but gotta look for mine or just buy another

-

Generally w OPL latest are they much better than being on an older?

Sakitoshi

Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
Thanks and is there a need to rename cfg folder ? I heard it was renamed for newer builds. Does that impact something I need to do with OPL manager?

Wanna be cautious

Also can this be done from my same hard drive used for games temporarily hooked up to USB port, or do I have to put it on a thumb drive. Do u think a usb to sd card would work? I can always get another thumb drive if need be but gotta look for mine or just buy another

-

Generally w OPL latest are they much better than being on an older?
yes, they did had a cfg-dev folder for some time, but they reverted back to just cfg, if you do have that cfg-dev folder you can rename it to cfg and forget about it.

you can use the same drive I guess, as long as you can access it with ulaunchelf it will work. I just use my multi purpose pendrive for such tasks but anything will do as long as it is recognized by ulaunchelf.

playstays_shun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes, they did had a cfg-dev folder for some time, but they reverted back to just cfg, if you do have that cfg-dev folder you can rename it to cfg and forget about it.

you can use the same drive I guess, as long as you can access it with ulaunchelf it will work. I just use my multi purpose pendrive for such tasks but anything will do as long as it is recognized by ulaunchelf.

thanks!

and is there a way to backup the existing opl build I have on memory card?

as long as I just replace that file, i shouldn't mess anything up on fmcb side?

usb attached hard drive worked and launched,

Sakitoshi

Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
thanks!

and is there a way to backup the existing opl build I have on memory card?

as long as I just replace that file, i shouldn't mess anything up on fmcb side?

usb attached hard drive worked and launched,
sure, just copy the opnps2ld.elf inside your memory card somewhere safe.
opl is just an app, even if you mess it up, is not going to break fmcb in any way.

playstays_shun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sure, just copy the opnps2ld.elf inside your memory card somewhere safe.
opl is just an app, even if you mess it up, is not going to break fmcb in any way.

Worked great thanks

Just had to rename to OPL.elf on MC since that was the original naming convention no biggy tho

How often do u update your build ? Still pretty good progress being made ?

Sakitoshi

Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
Worked great thanks

Just had to rename to OPL.elf on MC since that was the original naming convention no biggy tho

How often do u update your build ? Still pretty good progress being made ?
not very often. almost all the most common problems are already solved so unless you are waiting for a feature or fix that is being developed, is best to update when you feel like it.
you know what they say, don't fix what isn't broken.

playstays_shun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not very often. almost all the most common problems are already solved so unless you are waiting for a feature or fix that is being developed, is best to update when you feel like it.
you know what they say, don't fix what isn't broken.

Thanks

In my case it’s cleared up all strangeness or broken behavior the random few times I’ve come across it. Appreciate your help

yumir

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
very best is internal hdd, I have a fat ps2 and the compatibility is almost flawless. no idea about how reliable are those hdd kits for slim consoles.
best primary method for slim ps2's is opl with eth (lan/network loading).
usb is a good alternative, but be warned that all ps2's have usb 1.1, thus having a slow transfer speed and videos lag.
discs aren't bad but there are many troubling factors (mainly disc brands, fragility of the media and laser life) to be a reliable method but is the most compatible, so you can run any game that have trouble running through eth or usb. I haven't ever used esr though as all the ps2's I have seen are always chipped.

you don't need a pc to setup eth, just a small mini router like this one
I have that exact mini router, you can get one (or 2, those are really cheap) from ebay or aliexpress, it does the job perfectly. I can help you with that if you want to go for that method.

Hey man, I just recently got the exact mini router thing you got. I'm not particularly sure where to start with all of this. Like literally square one man. I have opl and everything, just don't know what to do to setup this mini router with my HDD.

Also, can this work on a hard drive that has been split into 2 partitions? they're still both fat32. I'm using the same harddrive to play my Wii/Gamecube games on my homebrew wii.

Reactions: MicroNut99

SolidSonicTH

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The problem I have with burnt games is the gradual deterioration of the disc media. The burn layer seems to wear off after awhile and the PS2 ends up chugging trying to stream data off the disc. Then I have to reburn the disc.

I'd like to get away from using burnt disc media for that reason. It's a hassle (plus CD-based games require a very fiddly rebuilding process to be ESR-compatible and I've had this process fail, resulting in more wasted discs).

I've never had this problem with the Dreamcast. CD-Rs never seem to break down like DVD+/-Rs even for a big game like Shenmue.

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's a hassle (plus CD-based games require a very fiddly rebuilding process to be ESR-compatible and I've had this process fail, resulting in more wasted discs).

Using the recently released Mechapwn there should be no need for ESR patching... presuming you have a console that's compatible.

MicroNut99

!SEGA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey man, I just recently got the exact mini router thing you got. I'm not particularly sure where to start with all of this. Like literally square one man. I have opl and everything, just don't know what to do to setup this mini router with my HDD.

Also, can this work on a hard drive that has been split into 2 partitions? they're still both fat32. I'm using the same harddrive to play my Wii/Gamecube games on my homebrew wii.
Old post but yes it can work with the GL.inet series of mini routers. Dual FAT32 and NTFS partitions work. The GL's are easy to work with out of the box. Nothing special.

Reactions: zfreeman

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    There is zero instacart delivery to here. No door dash. No Uber. Notta. Its a small farming community
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    eagerly awaiting 4x 8TB HDDs to get delivered today
    So I drive the 30 miles there, spend $100-$150 on groceries, and drive back home. Still saved $$$ after gas over shopping locally.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You'd think you could make deals with local farmers
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :unsure::unsure::unsure: I could make a killing there doing instcart there :D @RedColoredStars
    It makes the trip even more worth it if I'm out of my medication and need to stop by the medical dispensary. I try to line the two up to avoid extra trips.
    +1
    @AncientBoi, Except the town is pretty MAGA infested. People still flying TRUMP 2016 flags all over. They didnt get the memo the year changed since then. lol.
    +1
    They passed a city ordinance last month. No smoking cannabis in public. Not even eating gummies. $300 fine and misdemeanor charge if caught. People can walk down the street smoking cigs and tossing the butts all over, but God forbit someone take a couple puffs of their medication.
    +1
    First off, it's recreationally legal here. Secondly, I have a prescription from my doctor and approved by the state. But still a fucking criminal.
    +1
    Like at bars. Cant sit outside even in the smoking section and take a few puffs. Yet I have to breath the cig smoke from 20 people chain smoking all night in every direction around me.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Honestly I feel like Trump is going to crush Biden just because of the trial
    They cite
    public health and safety concerns" LMAO!!! Yet they do nothing about the poison drinking water quality.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The look at how they treated me card is powerful within dumb voters
    A Trump win is certainly a possibility. If he's reelected, 4 more years then no one has to worry about him being president ever again. I survived last time, I'll survive it if there's a next time. Don't know how anyone could vote for the guy, but I'm also not anyone else but me.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Honestly things were cheaper with Trump but that's tounge and cheek could be exactly the same outcome if he won reelection
    All of the fake "Christians" vote for him even though he's broken like 8 of the 10 commandments... that we know of. Maybe all 10. LOL
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A president is just a public figure within America
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    South park put it will there's always a bite between a turd sandwhich or a giant douce
    +1
    I like when he says stuff like "They are preventing me from talking!!!" Wait. What? You mean the person that is literally talking right now.. is being prevented from talking? LOL! Gag order also does not apply to taking the stand. He's free to say whatever he'd like. lolol
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    holy fuck this discsussion sucks, where are my sisters
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Well if it sucks stop blowing turd sandwhich
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @NinStar, convince your parents to make a sister for you
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    parents? what parents?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    People who screwed each other to make you