Dr. Wii, Ph.D
Trophies
Website
larsenv.xyz
XP
Country
United States
I do RiiConnect24 stuff.

The IOS we distribute with the patcher, IOS31 and IOS80, have the fakesigning, ES_Identify, NAND permissions and version patch in it. It's patched with Sharpii. The only other change is does is change the 2048-bit RSA public key in 00000006.app (although we used to have a different patch that nop'd out some mail challenge response check, but since we figured that out, we only change the RSA key now)

I haven't seen people complain ModMii messed up their IOS31 and IOS80...

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
you are right, they usually follow riiconnect after hacking their console so they are up to date already.

but this week I've read someone who did a modmii re-softmod and said he had a banner brick which he solved by disabling internet.
I don't see how it would affect the banner brick, other than having a banner with live updated data on it. and I thought about riiconnect24 as one possibility as it affects banners. maybe I'm wrong.

The user didn't reply yet, so I don't know if he had RC24 or not. as he had that problem after updating with modmii, and I thought about RC24, I wondered if modmii could skip updating/replacing 31 and 80 if detected as already patched.

maybe his problem is unrelated to RC24, I probably just gave more work to xflak for no reason.
if it was never a problem, maybe we can just leave it like that.

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: jeannotte

Clutz450

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For what it's worth, I would love to see ModMii officially support RiiConnect24. As in make it an option to do after modding your Wii.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
if riiconnect24 team agrees, I don't see any problem as their patcher is already using bash script. it should be easy to add and would be nice to have that feature in modmii.
I don't know if there are patcher updates often.

KcrPL

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'm a creator of the Windows version of the RiiConnect24 Patcher, if RC24 patching would be added to ModMii, we could work together so I would update the patcher and for example you could start it with an argument and it would just do everything automatically.

Everything is possible :P

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
OP
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
I'm a creator of the Windows version of the RiiConnect24 Patcher, if RC24 patching would be added to ModMii, we could work together so I would update the patcher and for example you could start it with an argument and it would just do everything automatically.

Everything is possible :P
For sure if/when support is added I'll definitely reach out to you and make sure everything is kosher so to speak :) I appreciate you extending the olive branch, thx

Larsenv

Dr. Wii, Ph.D
Trophies
Website
larsenv.xyz
XP
Country
United States
By the way, the tutorial we use for installing cIOS is https://wii.guide/cios

XFlak requested a few things to be changed (like to use v8 instead of v10?) but everything works fine as it is.

Is there any point installing other cIOS that's not d2x? I thought ModMii gave you other cIOS to install. We could add those to our guide...

Reactions: Alexander1970

XFlak

OP
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Not really much point these days but modmii will install cios's to slot 202,222,223. Even 250 isn't necessary as long as your 249 is base 57. Btw I think you're guide still uses base 56 for 249 and 57 for 250. Modmii used to do it this way as well until recently before reversing it. Originally base 56 was thought to have speed improvements over base 57, but turned out not to be true to any significant degree. And since 57 has superior compatibility than 56 there's arguable no need for 250 base 56. I believe it was @Cyan who first suggested the switch to me.

Anyway, modmii's syscheck updater will consider the old configuration as acceptable but my preference is still to have base 57 in slot 249 and suggest your guide adapt to be the same.

There's no harm in having these other cios' installed. And 202 is required for some legacy homebrew. Occasionally if something goes wrong launching a title you can quickly swap to a dif cios to troubleshoot but d2x v8 base 57 to my knowledge can do everything all the others can do combined. Definitely arguments for and against.

Last edited by XFlak,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
yes, I'm the one responsible for the base switch. I'm not not sure it's as useful as I thought.

often, I suggest only one cIOS (base57 in slot249) to new people hacking their console to "go faster".
IOS base58 is never useful and I feel it started being suggested due to WiiU "contest to be the first to find a working setup" from random users who wanted fame.

having 2 IOS was always the norm before that but is not always needed, but can be useful.
most users want Call of duty, or games which require base57.
I knew only Spyro which needed base56, and needing additional NFC accessories I felt less users were playing that game so it was more right to suggest 57 by default.

as I knew only these games needed 57 and all others games worked fine with both 56 and 57, I thought it would be better to put 57 directly in the default slot used by loaders to prevent users creating an account here asking how to fix 2-3 games.
We usually helped them by saying to change their slot to 250. (or maybe more guide should explain that they should try to edit their slot in loader's setting in case of issues?)

I only recently (last month?) found that there are more games than I thought that require base56. Mostly Rock band, Guitar hero and we sing.
I started a wiki compat list here : https://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/Wii_cIOS_base_Compatibility_List#IOS_Slots

I think most users only need one.
but there are always people who will want GH/RB, or all possible game with a full hacked setup.
for example, animal crossing keyboard support requires a base38 which no guide suggest, but it's only one game. I think it's best to not install unnecessary things if not really needed.

I also think it could be why VC N64 have better compatibility with rev17 : it used IOS38, while d2x only suggest 56/57/58.
I didn't test that theory, it's only an idea.
I would remove base 58, but again maybe there are lot of game which require it that I don't know?

At least, I'm very glad no more guide mix r52 and r53 with unique base each. (it didn't make sense for users who wanted port1 ending with one forced base, not always compatible with the game, like r53 base56 not working with CoD)

tldr:
you can keep slot249 with base56, as it seems more game need it than I thought. I really don't have statistics between Cod/just dance and spyro/GH/RB
both 56/57 and 57/56 are fine. no need to change the guides.
in both cases, it'll require a loader setting change to make all game working and both base are needed. I think it's more useful to educate the users to try different slots in their loader in case of compatibility issue.
no idea if it's good to replace 58 with 38? just an idea.

base 58 is sometime useful to initialize problematic HDD, but then the game won't work with said HDD as base58 has very low compatibility with games.

Last edited by Cyan,

XFlak

OP
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Odd, I recall needing to use base 57 for guitar hero games (or cios 223 which is a combinations of bases 37 and 38 IIRC). I'm pretty sure I used d2x base 57 to play guitar hero because base 56 didn't work. Anyway, impossible for me to test at the moment regardless.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I also thought most music games required 57.
I can only refer to and trust user's report as I don't have most of these games nor accessories.
sometime I'm confused and unsure games are properly tested. I had to force users to tell me what I wanted to know as they often report half info (like "it works with 56" but it doesn't tell if 57 works too or not)

Last edited by Cyan,

Schisty

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Hi

I just got a Wii second hand here in China.

I want to mod it but when I go to the System Menu to see what region it is it says 4.2c - I guess the c means China.

Modmii does not have an option for c.

Can I use a different Menu Region?

Not sure if this helps but the Model No. is RVL-001(JPN)

Thanks!!

Last edited by Schisty,

Schisty

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
China
4.1C my mistake.

I told modmii I am on 4.1j and prepped an SD card, but I am stuck at the reading SD card stage. The wii freezes just as the "reading from SD card" (written in Chinese) text starts fading out.

I have tried several times and the system always freezes.

jeannotte

Trophies
XP
Country
France
4.1C my mistake.

I told modmii I am on 4.1j and prepped an SD card, but I am stuck at the reading SD card stage. The wii freezes just as the "reading from SD card" (written in Chinese) text starts fading out.

Do you format the SD card ??

Isn't it blocking in writing ?? , the little "lock" on the side of the SD ??

Schisty

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Yes I did a full format, not just a quick format.

The card should not be locked, it went straight from my PC to the Wii.

XFlak

OP
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
4.1C my mistake.

What app are you running or what step are you on when you get stuck?

Reactions: jeannotte

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Minox @ Minox:
    I'll stick with my kimchi thank you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Triglycerides almost 900
  • Minox @ Minox:
    No idea what any of those things you mention are
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Cholesterol and Triglycerides? Basically a way they measure fatty cells in your blood
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Cholesterol is sorta high, according to my doc
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I've been taking fiber pills, eating more grapes, switched to wheat bread in hopes to lower it
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I like wheat bread, I even like the chunky wheat bread with pieces of whole grain in it.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Been getting this honey wheat bread from aldis pretty decent not very sweet to out do it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Me making any food at home is an improvement to how I use to be
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I have an bread machine and use it alot, better than breads you buy, but don't last as long, cause no bs preservatives
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got compliments about my weight loss and thought well guess I can pig out again now I'm the piggy
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    My biggest prob is alcohol, definitely is fattening
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I know when to stop at least honestly don't get those that go and go with food
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or those that order 2 big macs , large fry, ice cream sundie, then a diet coke
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I might get downing two big macs but nah that's it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok that will be $15.99, cash or charge?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My go to orders usually a mcdouble and a mcchicken and I'm happy rarely mess with fries
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pro tip ask for that clowns jizzmac sauce on your mcdouble
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Do they charge extra when you add sauce,etc? I know burger king used to not, but don't know nowadays
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They may squrit it for free if you ask nice
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Last time I got bk it was 35c per sauce fuck you king of my nutsack
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll buy a bottle of baby rays BBQ for $2 and add it from home out of spite
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I like baby rays, my favorite is KC masterpiece tho. Figured all you could buy is that there.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The metro doesn't discriminate good sauce
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: The metro doesn't discriminate good sauce +1