• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Biden Administration Faces Preliminary Injunction Against Putting Pressure on Social Media

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
What? Are you saying that someone is not free if their job description doesn't match the actual work, and that they are stuck with that job forever or something? You seem to have a point you are trying to make. I just can't read it.
I have faith you can read it if you don't intend to mischaracterize.

Nobody glued my eyeballs to the screen. I consume media from a variety of outlets, and I recommend that others do the same - the truth is usually somewhere in the middle. With that being said, I’m not going to cudgel people for not consuming media from a specific source, or only consuming media from another - that’s their deal, they’re free to do so.

People will do what the lowest common denominator dictates them. If they are not taught to think critically and the people around them consume the same, they will too.

And the same they weren't free, that lie took the freedom of others.

Same way they lied and continue to lie about LGBT people and the moral panic they caused. Their freedoms are in question because others are led to believe another lie. They take the freedom of those who believe it and many of those who don't.

How many people have died during the Iraq war because the government told them Saddam had WMD’s? Where are they, by the way? Have we found any yet? The government did hang the guy in the end, y’know - by proxy of the newly-installed Iraq government, but still.
Yeah, exactly, there is no accountability. If you are powerful enough, you can be in a position of civil responasbility, either of a public servant or in a position of supposed checks and balances to power, lie your ass off, screw countless others and you're good to go

Which part of “the government also routinely lies to you and the only way to arrive at the truth, or something asymptotically approaching truth, is to be able to discuss things freely” is confusing? I can’t believe I’m in a position where I have to defend the notion of freedom of speech being a good thing.

Again, lying and knowing you're lying is not freedom of speech. It's libertinism. You're freedom is always limited by the freedom of others, if you're stepping on someone else's, you're going beyond freedom. If you are causing others to live on a lie, you're going beyond freedom, if you are causing others even to suffer from people believing your lie, you are also beyond freedom.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
The only content the "Biden administration" ever "policed" was reporting an explicit photo of a guy's dick to moderators of sites where posting explicit dong was against community guidelines. This lawsuit is just political posturing and will go nowhere.

On the other hand Trump demanded on multiple occasions that content be removed from social media because it hurt his widdle feefees, but those same judges didn't issue any injunctions against him HMMM REALLY MAKES YOU THINK.

Have you? Because you have a whole TV network caught on the court of law commenting themselves that they lied, knowing they where lying for political gain, with no criminal implication whatsoever, only to rule in favor of a lawsuit against them, or worse, to take a deal on it.
Well, you see, they are a pRIvaTe EnTIty and have FReEDom oF SpEecH and the government has not right to regulate their broadcasts, or regulate what can and can't be called "news", and if anyone is harmed by their blatant lies fReE SpEEch the only recourse is a defamation lawsuit in a civil court because while "instigating" and "incitement" may exist as an abstract legal term, it's not enforceable because fReE SPeEcH.

On an unrelated note "duck and cover" was meant to protect you from the immediate blastwave and flying debris of a large explosion, not from radiation or fallout, and it never claimed otherwise. There is another 30 minutes of further instructions but hurr durr tl;dr and people love to feel smart so yeah. Just like the "$500000 billion space pen / Russians used a pencil" maymay.

Last edited by Veho,
Reactions: pustal

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
People will do what the lowest common denominator dictates them. If they are not taught to think critically and the people around them consume the same, they will too.

And the same they weren't free, that lie took the freedom of others.

Same way they lied and continue to lie about LGBT people and the moral panic they caused. Their freedoms are in question because others are led to believe another lie. They take the freedom of those who believe it and many of those who don't.
”People are stupid (more specifically they’re more stupid than me, a critical thinker) thus the media they are allowed to consume should be tailored to their little brains, otherwise they could get confused and hurt themselves. In order to ensure that does not happen, we need an arbiter of truth who will unanimously decide what gets to stay online and what needs to be removed. I submit my application for the role I’ve just invented, I am smart. Please enjoy your freedom of speech (within the capacity that I have outlined for you)” - what an absolute nightmare.
Yeah, exactly, there is no accountability. If you are powerful enough, you can be in a position of civil responasbility, either of a public servant or in a position of supposed checks and balances to power, lie your ass off, screw countless others and you're good to go
You do realise that if the Internet worked the way you think it should, you posting critique of the Iraq war would’ve been considered misinformation which needs to be corrected by the government, right? After all, intelligence reports indicate that there *are* WMD’s in Iraq, so it *must* be true. Anyone claiming otherwise is a Saddam apologist and honestly, they should all be banned. Your logic literally breaks down on the first hurdle I put in front of it. You *know* the invasion was based on incorrect intelligence, it continued despite the knowledge that the intelligence was incorrect and the occupation continued for nearly a decade, but you wouldn’t be able to post one squeak about it if you had your way, it would directly contradict what the government said was true at the time. Freedom of speech ensured that you *could* state your case, and it should be protected.
Again, lying and knowing you're lying is not freedom of speech. It's libertinism. You're freedom is always limited by the freedom of others, if you're stepping on someone else's, you're going beyond freedom. If you are causing others to live on a lie, you're going beyond freedom, if you are causing others even to suffer from people believing your lie, you are also beyond freedom.
File a suit if you have demonstrable damages. We already have laws regarding this sort of thing. In fact, due process is literally playing out right now, as we speak - you’re commenting on it. The last thing I want is the government telling *the press* what is or isn’t a lie. Part of the reason why lies get exposed is because we’re allowed to discuss them and dismantle them.
On an unrelated note "duck and cover" was meant to protect you from the immediate blastwave and flying debris of a large explosion, not from radiation or fallout, and it never claimed otherwise. There is another 30 minutes of further instructions but hurr durr tl;dr and people love to feel smart so yeah. Just like the "$500000 billion space pen / Russians used a pencil" maymay.
I’m well-aware of that, that’s not the point. The point is that falling debris is the last thing you should be worried about when in a vicinity of a nuclear explosion. I’m disappointed that you don’t see the morbid humour in it the way I do, but I’m happy to pull out something else from the sizeable dossier of ridiculous government lies - you’re kind of spoiled for choice there.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
People are not free when the the person that has as their job to report the facts of the day tells them lies. You are not free if you live in a lie. You're a prisoner of that lie.
Since you won't clarify, and I was apparently "mischaracterizing" you, I'll try again.

Are you saying person is not free when they are given misinformation"? Are you saying that, "people should rely on an institution to tell them facts about their reality"?

If you want to hide behind obscurity on this point, it's your call. I'm trying to understand your garbage attempt at using English.

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
”People are stupid (more specifically they’re more stupid than me, a critical thinker) so the media they are allowed to consume should be tailored to their small little brains so they don’t get confused and hurt themselves. In order to ensure that does not happen, we need an arbiter of truth who will unanimously decide what gets to stay online and what needs to be removed. I submit my application for the role I’ve just invented, I am smart. Please enjoy your freedom of speech (within the capacity that I have outlined for you)” - what an absolute nightmare.
No, it's not complicated. The media should be bound by factual evidence, is not hard.

The rule is simple, if you lie and and you know you are lying, you are out of line.

Fox lied, they were caught admitting they knew they where lying, they'd be penalized.

If I killed and admitted to killing, I'd be emprisoned.

A falsewood is not a lie. On wise Constanza words, it's not a lie if you believe it. You're being dishonest trying to imply I'm saying otherwise.

It becomes a lie when I admit I lied or when I'm proven without a doubt false and pretend I wasn't.

It's not subjective and needs no arbiters. It's pretty objective. It's first-order or predicate logic.

You do realise that if the Internet worked the way you think it should, you posting critique of the Iraq war would’ve been considered misinformation which needs to be corrected by the government, right?

Wrong, see above. Same for the rest.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
No, it's not complicated. The media should be bound by factual evidence, is not hard. The rule is simple, if you lie and and you know you are lying, you are out of line. Fox lied, they were caught admitting they knew they where lying, they'd be penalized. If I killed and admitted to killing, I'd be emprisoned. A falsewood is not a lie. On wise Constanza words, it's not a lie if you believe it. You're being dishonest trying to imply I'm saying otherwise. It becomes a lie when I admit I lied or when I'm proven without a doubt false and pretend I wasn't. It's not subjective and needs no arbiters. It's pretty objective. It's first-order or predicate logic.
They’re not a very good media outlet. In fact, I believe they claim to be news entertainment rather than actual news nowadays (a weird stance considering that weakens their defense as far as freedom of the press is concerned) which I’m inclined to agree with - that is what they are. This is equivalent to Yellow Journalism. Unfortunately, it’s also not a very convincing argument to me - you shouldn’t listen to liars, but I won’t stop you either.
Wrong, see above. Same for the rest.
It’s not complicated either - the U.S. Government launched an invasion based on faulty intelligence. At some point they’ve discovered that the intelligence was unreliable, but they continued to lie to the American people regardless. That lie was considered the government’s truth. Under your proposed solution, as in, the government dictating what does or doesn’t constitute misinformation, any critique of that stance would’ve been misinformation, and as such not protected by the First Amendment. Depending on how deep and how dystopian you want to take this example, you very well could’ve ended up just like Schenck if the government also determined that your critique, based on actual truth, is so effective against their truth, based on an actual lie, that it could potentially cause imminent lawless action. If I am to choose between people suffering under the boot of the government and people suffering the consequences of their own decisions, I will gladly pick the latter 10 out of 10 times.

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
Since you won't clarify, and I was apparently "mischaracterizing" you, I'll try again.

Are you saying person is not free when they are given misinformation"? Are you saying that, "people should rely on an institution to tell them facts about their reality"?

If you want to hide behind obscurity on this point, it's your call. I'm trying to understand your garbage attempt at using English.

There is no way to know the truth about the world without relying on institutions. I can't be in Ukraine and in the Titanic sinking site at the same time, or at any of those places in the same time. That's why journalism exists and has a Code of Deontology. It's a fundamental part of a democratic system and when it fails apart so does democracy.

So yes, that is exactly what I'm saying. If the journalistic institution led you to live in a lie, you are not free. You are only free when you know the truth, and you can only know the truth when there's a system in place for you to reliably get it.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
There is no way to know the truth about the world without relying on institutions.
That's what I was trying to ascertain.

Looks like you need someone who knows all of the facts about everything. Good luck finding consensus in installing your god into a universally-accepted government.

Reactions: Foxi4

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
There is no way to know the truth about the world without relying on institutions. I can't be in Ukraine and in the Titanic sinking site at the same time, or at any of those places in the same time. That's why journalism exists and has a Code of Deontology. It's a fundamental part of a democratic system and when it fails apart so does democracy.

So yes, that is exactly what I'm saying. If the journalistic institution led you to live in a lie, you are not free. You are only free when you know the truth, and you can only know the truth when there's a system in place for you to reliably get it.
Do you think there is any value at all in having multiple sources reporting on the same news item from their own unique perspectives as opposed to one approved narrative, or do you think there should be one source of “objective truth” and anything that does not conform with that narrative should be minimised, punished or eliminated? Because you’re sounding a whole lot like option number two, and I know you’re smarter than that from previous encounters. I understand the drive to eliminate bad actors, but there’s a cost/benefit analysis here that you’re omitting. If the price of “objective” (Again, who’s the arbiter? Not everything is black and white, new information disproves preconceived notions all the time - this new information would not be allowed to exist if it contradicted established “truths”) news coverage is liberty then that’s not an appealing proposition, I don’t think.

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
They’re not a very good media outlet. In fact, I believe they claim to be news entertainment rather than actual news nowadays (a weird stance considering that weakens their defense as far as freedom of the press is concerned) which I’m inclined to agree with - that is what they are. This is equivalent to Yellow Journalism. Unfortunately, it’s also not a very convincing argument to me - you shouldn’t listen to liars, but I won’t stop you either.

Taken directly from their website:
FOX News Media offers its audiences in-depth news reporting, along with opinion and analysis

It’s not complicated either - the U.S. Government launched an invasion based on faulty intelligence. At some point they’ve discovered that the intelligence was unreliable, but it continued to lie to the American people regardless. That lie was considered the government’s truth. Under your proposed solution, as in, the government dictating what does or doesn’t constitute misinformation, any critique of that stance would’ve been misinformation,
Again, you are being disingenuous. Under "my purpose solution" the government dictates nothing. The government showed no concrete proof and that's be the end of story. The job of a journalist would be exactly to say the government claimed so but no concrete evidence was presented and all available evidence showed otherwise, that's the fact of it.
Post automatically merged:

Do you think there is any value at all in having multiple sources reporting on the same news item from their own unique perspectives as opposed to one approved narrative, or do you think there should be one source of “objective truth” and anything that does not conform with that narrative should be minimised, punished or eliminated? Because you’re sounding a whole lot like option number two, and I know you’re smarter than that from previous encounters. I understand the drive to eliminate bad actors, but there’s a cost/benefit analysis here that you’re omitting. If the price of “objective” (Again, who’s the arbiter? Not everything is black and white, new information disproves preconceived notions all the time - this new information would not be allowed to exist if it contradicted established “truths”) news coverage is liberty then that’s not an appealing proposition, I don’t think.
Proper journalism is not perspective, is the picture as it is possible to see. It's reporting the facts, not run an agenda.

And again, it's impossible to have a conversation with you. You want to pretend I say there has to have a narrative followed and that I say that narrative is established by the government.

That's not what I said, you know that, and you know that perfectly. I keep correcting you that and you keep insisting. You don't argue in good faith.

Last edited by pustal,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Again, you are being disingenuous. Under "my purpose solution" the government dictates nothing. The government showed no concrete proof and that's be the end of story. The job of a journalist would be exactly to say the government claimed so but no concrete evidence was presented and all available evidence showed otherwise, that's the fact of it.
I am not being disingenuous, this exchange started with CDC recommendations, and claiming that posts which suggest these recommendations are wrong are necessarily misinformation. You say that it’d be the journalist’s job to determine if they are or aren’t correct, but at the same time, the New York Post was effectively excised from social media precisely because it posted a story that “matched misinformation patterns” even though it was true. Their very ability to do what you’d want them to do was taken away - the article couldn’t even be shared online, the link was blacklisted.

If your solution doesn’t involve the government having correspondence with social media sites and making recommendations on what should or shouldn’t be removed then we’re in agreement and this entire exchange was a waste of our time, but you have to specify how exactly you’d implement this system of truth arbiters, because without that element of compulsion it breaks down immediately since there’s no enforcement mechanism in place. I simply leave these matters to the court of public opinion, but you’ve indicated that’s not satisfactory, so what is? You don’t want people to live a lie as a result of reading a false story, but the alternative to that is to limit their freedom in another way - covertly, by controlling the information they do get to see. Somebody at some point has to decide what that information actually is, and I believe it is dangerous as all hell to task the government with making that estimation. The only way to avoid that is to act after the fact, once a lie is exposed as a lie, but that’s what we already have now - Fox had to pay Dominion $787.5M in damages, thus acknowledging that it was spreading falsehoods.
Proper journalism is not perspective, is the picture as it is possible to see. It's reporting the facts, not run an agenda.

And again, it's impossible to have a conversation with you. You want to pretend I say there has to have a narrative followed and that I say that narrative is established by the government.

That's not what I said, you know that, and you know that perfectly. I keep correcting you that and you keep insisting. You don't argue in good faith.
It’s a pretty obvious conclusion based on what the thread is about and what’s being discussed - it’s about the government contacting social media in regards to specific pieces of content, which includes news stories. In fact, it did include a news story, as mentioned above. With that in mind, it was a pretty safe assumption to say you meant the government doing the filtering - if that’s not what you meant then there’s been a miscommunication somewhere along the line.

As for perspectives, not a day passes when a news item makes half the country happy and the other half upset. We’re not all made from one mold - we have different personalities, different priorities and a different idea on what’s good or bad for the public. You *can’t* avoid perspectives in media unless we’re talking about dry coverage along the lines of an accurate weather report - either it rained or it didn’t. Hell - I tend to feel a bit cold when everybody around me is sweating, so we likely wouldn’t agree on what a comfortable temperature outside is, let alone a more complex matter. Don’t you think you’re being a little reductive here?

Reactions: tabzer

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
I am not being disingenuous, this exchange started with CDC recommendations, and claiming that posts which suggest these recommendations are wrong are necessarily misinformation. You say that it’d be the journalist’s job to determine if they are or aren’t correct, but at the same time, the New York Post was effectively excised from social media precisely because it posted a story that “matched misinformation patterns” even though it was true. Their very ability to do what you’d want them to do was taken away - the article couldn’t even be shared online, the link was blacklisted. If your solution doesn’t involve the government having correspondence with social media sites and making recommendations on what should or shouldn’t be removed then we’re in agreement and this entire exchange was a waste of our time, but you have to specify how exactly you’d implement this system of truth arbiters, because without that element of compulsion it breaks down immediately since there’s no enforcement mechanism in place. I simply leave these matters to the court of public opinion, but you’ve indicated that’s not satisfactory, so what is? You don’t want people to live a lie as a result of reading a false story, but the alternative to that is to limit their freedom in another way - covertly, by controlling the information they do get to see. Somebody at some point has to decide what that information actually is, and I believe it is dangerous as all hell to task the government with making that estimation.
For the nth time, there is no purposed system of truth arbiters. In the Fox case there is evidence presented to the court where the staff admitted they were lying and went on lying. There is admission of guilt. They themselves arbitered guilty. This interaction started as demonstration that the law as is, either by inexistence or unenforceability isn't there to create any accountability whatsoever.

You leave it to public opinion, guess what, they create public opinion. There whole network point is to manipulate public opinion. Also something self-admitted.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
For the nth time, there is no purposed system of truth arbiters. In the Fox case there is evidence presented to the court where the staff admitted they were lying and went on lying. There is admission of guilt. They themselves arbitered guilty. This interaction started as demonstration that the law as is, either by inexistence or unenforceability isn't there to create any accountability whatsoever.

You leave it to public opinion, guess what, they create public opinion. There whole network point is to manipulate public opinion. Also something self-admitted.
It seems like you believe that media has a responsibility to brainwash the public correctly, so what's the protocol?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

They lost nearly a billion dollars on that loss in court, what else do you want to happen? Should we execute them for lying to the public? The law ran its course and the guilty party was publicly admonished, what else is there? They have a constitutional right to speak, and if they defame someone again, they’ll lose another billion dollars. A billion dollars is a lot of money, even for Fox.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
They lost nearly a billion dollars on that loss in court, what else do you want to happen? Should we execute them for lying to the public? The law ran its course and the guilty party was publicly admonished, what else is there? They have a constitutional right to speak, and if they defame someone again, they’ll lose another billion dollars. A billion dollars is a lot of money, even for Fox.
We don't even know if they were actually considered lies or not. They settled, lol.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
It’s nearly a billion dollars, so for the purposes of this conversation I’ll say that they admitted their reporting was a little off, at the very least.
I don't know how the money slinging business works in its entirety, but I am wise enough to know that that painting isn't worth a billion dollars. For all we know, it was a negotiation regarding future alliances.

Last edited by tabzer,

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
A public criminal process. The suit ended in settlement with Dominion as the victim. The public is also a victim, so is the democratic process. There should have been a public prosecutor and a criminal trial, where there enforceable laws and prison time. Lying in court under oath is perjury. Lying to the public under journalistic code of ethics should also be.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
A public criminal process. The suit ended in settlement with Dominion as the victim. The public is also a victim, so is the democratic process. There should have been a public prosecutor and a criminal trial, where there enforceable laws and prison time. Lying in court under oath is perjury. Lying to the public under journalistic code of ethics should also be.
It wasn't determined that Fox was lying or that Dominion machines aren't rigged.

I am also dissatisfied with this, because it only served to obfuscate facts instead of delivering them.

If I am to believe that you are correct about there needing to be an arbiter of truth, you'd have to convince me that you understand what "truth" is.

Last edited by tabzer,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Bit of an extreme proposition, but at least you’ve clarified what you mean. I think you might be attributing more to Fox than what they’re actually guilty of - they were sued because their coverage negatively affected Dominion as a business, not because it “harmed the democratic process”. I don’t quite know what you imagine should be the punishment for “breaking the code of journalistic ethics”, but fair enough. They’d probably be in good company behind bars, right next to Brian Williams talking about his imaginary helicopter ride, the staff of the Rolling Stone with their portable mattress and other assorted liars. I’m not necessarily against punishing journalists for making stuff up, I just don’t know if it amounts to a felony - you can just not believe them based on the scant evidence normally supplied when lies are presented as truths.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I haven't played my Switch n a month or so, just been playing Xbox, and just picked to play lil...