Borderlands 3 launches this September, PC version to be exclusive to Epic for 6 months

Following quickly on the heels of the Borderlands 3 reveal trailer which took place less than a week ago, Gearbox has decided to give fans the release date of their upcoming game. On September 13th, Borderlands 3 will launch on the Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC, with the latter having an initial release that is exclusive to the Epic Games Store. Steam players will still get a chance to play the game, though it'll be six months after the game launches, in April 2020.

Outside of the platforms and exclusivity agreements, a new trailer explains that co-op will be a focus, as it was in previous entries, with 3 adding a new feature which will allow enemies to scale up and down to each player's specific level. There will also be four versions of the game, the standard, deluxe, super deluxe, and the Diamond Loot Chest Collector's Edition. The Deluxe Edition will come with extra cosmetic skins, the Super Deluxe Edition includes the Borderlands 3 Season Pass, and the Collector's Edition features physical extras, such as a loot chest replica, character figurines, a map, and more.

:arrow: Source

Lumince

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here you go
BqVfzBd.jpg

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So it created its own security certificate (not sure why an existing one was not used but creating a new one is not unreasonable either), checked internet exploder settings (possibly to see if it has a proxy enabled or what zones do what, I don't know but jumping to malice is a bit strong)

Processes wise. Many an anti cheat program will do this ( https://steamcommunity.com/app/730/discussions/0/528398719808561998/ ) and again we have not yet demonstrated malice.

The tracking stuff (thanks for the program by the way - I was looking for a good one) seems like fairly mundane web tracking stuff. Looked at the pastebin as well. A minimised javascript thing from what I can see. I have had nastier things in smaller but at the quickest of scans it is mundane -- most generate the script on the host stuff looks somewhat different to that.

The Steam library stuff. That is pushing things somewhat, at least without an opt in.

All that would not necessarily how I build such a thing but still within reason.

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So gonna be honest, this scares me a little. I have a friend who loves borderlands and will likely buy it despite the storefront but the thing is that I would rather wait the 6 months to get it on steam but I'm worried I won't be able to join him in multiplayer because the friends systems between steam and epic are separate...

Lumince

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So it created its own security certificate (not sure why an existing one was not used but creating a new one is not unreasonable either), checked internet exploder settings (possibly to see if it has a proxy enabled or what zones do what, I don't know but jumping to malice is a bit strong)

Processes wise. Many an anti cheat program will do this ( https://steamcommunity.com/app/730/discussions/0/528398719808561998/ ) and again we have not yet demonstrated malice.

The tracking stuff (thanks for the program by the way - I was looking for a good one) seems like fairly mundane web tracking stuff. Looked at the pastebin as well. A minimised javascript thing from what I can see. I have had nastier things in smaller but at the quickest of scans it is mundane -- most generate the script on the host stuff looks somewhat different to that.

The Steam library stuff. That is pushing things somewhat, at least without an opt in.

All that would not necessarily how I build such a thing but still within reason.

All of that in general is just sketchy... Im staying farrrr away from that thing. I will not be using it.

It's Tencent. That alone should be enough reason to stop anyone from using it.
Exactly.... Why would it be doing any of this stuff? I understand the anti cheat stuff but everything else is just not needed. Stay away from my steam data.

gameboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i just saw Borderlands, Borderlands 2, and the PreSequel free on ThePirateBa y for those worried about epics store LOL. but the co op is the best part of that game....

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am still at a loss when it comes to understanding the dislike of Epic. They are another DRM system/account setup -- I am sure we all have dozens for one off things here and there. Is this not similar?
This method of exclusivity on the same platform is unethical at best.
Tencent having a sizable stake in Epic Games pretty much guarantees free identity theft and asset monitoring by the Chinese government, given tencent's strong affiliation with that mess.
Not even getting into the mess that happened with Metro:Exodus.
It doesn't even have a functioning shopping cart system yet. On a related note, it's missing a lot of functionality a store front like it should have from day one to legitimately compete with the likes of Steam and GoG.
Its security is... Questionable at best.
The epic games launcher now is basically malware.

I get publishers want that favorable revenue split. It's basically another way of making ALL OF THE MONEY without extra work. But of course it basically creates a worse experience for the end user.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Epic's CEO is a real dickweed, mostly because he "acknowledges" the issue, but does jack squat to mitigate it.
i find it troubling. Sweeney was a guy i had respect for. When everyone else wrote off the ps3 as a total loss, he was the only dev to say "let's see what we can do with it" and then blew everyone's brains into orbit with the UT3 demo running on the console.

But seems Fortnite has brought out douchebag mode

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any number of vendors of things have cut deals for things in the past to improve their service's standing. I don't particularly see the problem with this one.
It also leads to lazy development. Case in point: any of the gta 3 games on pc are miserable to try and play on a modern pc now. Even try and enable the in-game setting to enable 60fps and it crashes within five minutes, guaranteed.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any number of vendors of things have cut deals for things in the past to improve their service's standing. I don't particularly see the problem with this one.

Epic Games Storefront: Let's see

- No real shopping cart to speak one, for one, what the hell kind of storefront doesn't have the basics of the basics?
- Security is spotty as best, sending information unrelated to the game or Epic storefront (Steam data, games you play on Steam) is sent without consent. Total dick move.
- The launcher may as well have a "Look at me, I'm malware" sticker on the front

How anyone can defend such shitty software, much less their business practices is beyond me. Wonder how much epic payed them to suck them off.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Epic Games Storefront: Let's see

- No real shopping cart to speak one, for one, what the hell kind of storefront doesn't have the basics of the basics?
- Security is spotty as best, sending information unrelated to the game or Epic storefront (Steam data, games you play on Steam) is sent without consent. Total dick move.
- The launcher may as well have a "Look at me, I'm malware" sticker on the front

How anyone can defend such shitty software, much less their business practices is beyond me. Wonder how much epic payed them to suck them off.

Those three things are not what was quoted there. Other than the tencent link (which I also covered before) I could not get to malware going by the various analysis things posted before.

Lack of a shopping cart. Not a great move. Do many people purchase all the games at once though?

The software is by no means good, much less a shining example of what one ought to aspire to but just about suitable for task.

Business practices wise then so far they have made a store, as no game dev or publisher is going to be able to crank out the games fast enough to populate it such that it gains traction they incentivised some other devs/pubs to join their effort. Said incentives included either a better cut, an upfront payment or some kind of costs covered for theoretical losses by not opting for the dominant platform and thus seeing reduced sales (no idea how they calculate this but I presume both parties are OK with the result and enter into it willingly), all of which are time tested means of doing such a thing.

I actually dislike all the stores that prevent me from reselling a game. Would be delighted to see said same if not change then go pop tomorrow. As it stands though these guys don't seem worse than other notable competitors, or competitor as Steam is pretty much a monopoly when it comes to cream of the crop PC gaming, in this arena. My only real hope here is they compete and take each other out, that the competition forces them to do better or that I lead get to see something go down in flames. I fail to see how anything will get worse for it all, and most likely we get better. Egregious incompetence or out and out malice will have to come into play really before my ire gets directed at anybody in particular.

lembi2001

Trophies
XP
Country
I am still at a loss when it comes to understanding the dislike of Epic. They are another DRM system/account setup -- I am sure we all have dozens for one off things here and there. Is this not similar?

Not at all similar. No one launcher apart from Epic is actively purchasing exclusivity contracts.

Those other launchers you are thinking use their platform for their own games. Uplay for Ubisoft games (and Steam), Origin for EA Games, GOG Galaxy isn't a requirement for their platform, Blizzard have a launcher for their games, Epic are entitled to a launcher fir their games too. The issue is when they are actively buying exclusive contract in an effort to drive a wedge in the PC community. Steam cannot even considered as carrying out the same practices as far as software is concerned as their launcher allows you to add steam compatible games purchased from 3rd party sites, nor does it explicitly state that a game can only be purchased from them.

This is why everyone with a shred of common sense is pissed off about it. We game on PC for the flexibility it offers. We don't need to suffer the same practices that have haunted Console Gamers for year after year. If we wanted to do that we would buy a console for fuck sake.

...Steam is pretty much a monopoly when it comes to cream of the crop PC gaming, in this arena..

In what way is steam a Monopoly?

Last edited by lembi2001,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Not at all similar. No one launcher is actively purchasing exclusivity contracts.

Those other launchers you are thinking use their platform for their own games. Uplay for Ubisoft games (and Steam), Origin for EA Games, GOG Galaxy isn't a requirement for their platform, Blizzard have a launcher for their games, Epic are entitled to a launcher fir their games too. The issue is when they are actively buying exclusive contract in an effort to drive a wedge in the PC community. Steam cannot even considered as carrying out the same practices as far as software is concerned as their launcher allows you to add steam compatible games purchased from 3rd party sites, nor does it explicitly state that a game can only be purchased from them.

This is why everyone with a shred of common sense is pissed off about it. We game on PC for the flexibility it offers. We don't need to suffer the same practices that have haunted Console Gamers for year after year. If we wanted to do that we would buy a console for fuck sake.

I would view it slightly differently. If I want to do top tier PC gaming at present then my choices are Steam or pirate for the most part. Steam then being something of a monopoly and thus exclusivity contracts is a reasonable way to compete with them. While I would like some service that acts as an ownership library and CDN to come along

Functionally the end result is an account and password on another service. If that is the straw that breaks the camel's back then it is indeed an odd one. If adding it to steam is somehow a thing people want to do (why I would have a second thing when the start menu does things for me I don't know but hey) then it would be trivial to allow user defined things, or note the signature of the game on the other service and add it accordingly. This sort of thing seems no less flexible than being locked to steam with all its shitty practices.

DrayanoX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
People talk about Steam having a monopoly? Please explain how.

There have always been alternative places to buy the games from and then add them to steam using a key

So... You're telling me that buying keys elsewhere and having to activate them on steam instead of just playing the game as is with no launcher isn't a monopoly ?

The ONLY exclusives that Steam has ever had are Valve produced games. Hell, you can even add your Ubisoft games to steam (looking at you RB6 Siege)
And countless indie and a bunch of triple A games

Love it when clueless people talk out of their ass. It's doing literally what any web browser does, because it's what it is, a glorified web browser that browse their shop. If you think that behaviour is malware then stay away from whatever software you're using to browse the internet.

JeepX87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh my boy, I never like Epic store, so Epic went from good company to bad company.

We may need to wait for Borderlands come to Switch, so it could be my dream, hmm...

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So... You're telling me that buying keys elsewhere and having to activate them on steam instead of just playing the game as is with no launcher isn't a monopoly ?

And countless indie and a bunch of triple A games

Love it when clueless people talk out of their ass. It's doing literally what any web browser does, because it's what it is, a glorified web browser that browse their shop. If you think that behaviour is malware then stay away from whatever software you're using to browse the internet.

Doesn't make Epic any better of a company than Mozilla or Google, they don't even have a shopping cart :lol: What kind of lame ass store doesn't have one?

Reactions: Lumince

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Doesn't make Epic any better of a company than Mozilla or Google, they don't even have a shopping cart :lol: What kind of lame ass store doesn't have one?
Is it really that notable a feature to be missing? Most people don't tend to buy masses of new games all at once.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's not being renewed that's unlocking more medical bills from stds
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Somethings maybe, but drives are rated in hours, so most likely many hours already on them. I just don't trust em for data. Maybe a used(renewed) car or something be ok tho.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I like my girls like my car made in 2000
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I like my products new, not buying a box of condoms (renewed)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You already learned from buying used condoms from the first kid
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Tyrone said it was barley used
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Wonder whatever happened to that ownage pranks guy
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I dont know why people hate on Starfield, I think its dope. I didn't play it day one, only started it couple weeks ago so maybe they fixed issues with updates already.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Microsoft could release a poop simulator and people will say it's shit
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Hold up hooolddd uuupppp, we're less than a week from PM:TTYD releasing and it has not leaked yet? :o Miracles do still exist in this dystopia 🤣
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    True. People hated on Fallout 76 at first also, but they still have huge numbers playing online.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What is PM:TTYD
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I think I played that one
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    (i.e. Nintendos' next first party switch title/remake)
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Meh, I want metroid 4
    I have a refurbished hard drive like 8TBs just use it for movies and music so if it blows up nothing I can't replace lol
    +1
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    I mean almost every first party switch title of the past year or two leaked at least a week in advance for a while now haven't they?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not all of them, but yea many.
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Metroid prime 4 I wouldn't be surprised if that title will be a SwitchU title (here's hoping Nintendo won't go with such a ridiculous name again)
    +1
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Hence me saying almost 🤣
    But for photos and OS and my ROMs not risking it on a refurbished drive lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Have you checked both the brew and 2u sites?
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    But yes I would welcome MP4 too or even 2+3 remaster/HD to hold us over untill MP4
    Switch 2 Switched at birth
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Switch 2 Switched at birth