Homebrew Bricked vWii by playing a gamecube game?

lordpsycho

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
So, I was playing my injected copy of Fire Emblem for the GC on my WiiU's gamepad (Installed on my 1TB USB drive, connected with Y cable to the back of my console) and suddenly the WiiU shut down.
Ok, no big deal, I'll turn it on again...so when it turned on none of my installed games were showing, and I was like "oh sh....don't tell me my HDD died....", I unplugged it and plugged into the front USB ports....and it worked! So I loaded the browser exploit again, and ran the game....It showed "Wii" on the gamepad....then the console shuts down...
After checking if it was an issue with the game (it happened on other GC games too), the save, Nintendont version, I tried to load the vWii mode without anything loaded or connected (no SD, no USB, no exploit/patches), and the same result: Console shuts down.

So I'm wondering....can vWii brick just by playing a simple game? Never installed anything on vWii: no Wads, no cIOS, no apps, everything was running from injected games...and btw, I created the injected game myself and have been running it many times without an issue...

Update 1: I unplugged the power source for a few minutes and now I can see for a brief second the Health and Security warning message if I select the gamepad as source before the console turns off. Dunno if that can be a sign that it may not be bricked. For now I'll leave it unplugged until I come up with something :unsure:

Last edited by lordpsycho,

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
can vWii brick just by playing a simple game?
It could (after all configuration is rewritten every time vwii boots) - but then you should go play the lottery, maybe your luck still holds :P

Of course, figuring out what actually happened and fixing it won't be fun (or even intuitive...)

Try unplugging the console and its clock battery for a while, though: I don't remember what or why it happened, but I had a similiar problem (with WiiU mode) and it just went away that way...

lordpsycho

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
It seems one of my USB ports just broke, tested all 4 and only the one at the back of the console, at the top (to the right when the console is vertical) is not giving any power.

My guess is that when vWii loads it handles the back ports as those of the Wii and tries to read if there's anything in the USB, but since it's broken it panics and shuts down the console.....which sounds stupid, if you ask me =/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: don't mind me, just liking all of SDIO's posts, they deserve it for...