• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

British General Election 2017 Results Discussion

TheDarkGreninja

Listening to a song ad nauseam
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Why is that even needed? So what if whatever percentage of a country's population is a certain religion? What does that have to do with government?

Nothing much. Just suggesting reasons.

someone is going to enforce policies off of religious belief rather than reasoning.

And if they're one and the same?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Exactly, there's a logical explanation to all the "good" morality which some people think comes from religion. If anything, religion just reinforced it by giving it divine origin.
And what might that be? Anyway, we've digressed enough, I think.

bi388

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not saying it does. But many of the morals we have today are based on the morals of Christianity/Judaism/Islam etc.

Also, you should be clear on two different kinds of morality, objective and subjective.
Whether or not there is objective morality is actually quite an interesting argument. I personally want to believe that there is, because it would help me to have more faith that humans as a species are good, but sometimes I have my doubts. My dad is a Philosophy teacher at my college and we have conversations about things like this a lot.

And if they're one and the same?
By religious belief I mean things that are supported only be religious texts/leaders, and not based off of observable evidence/what is best for people

Reactions: Quantumcat
Trophies
XP
Country
France
At the end, May has revealed herself as stupid as Cameron. First Cameron organizes a bloody vote without thinking to its consequences only to be reelected and steal UKIP's voters, then May is so self-confident trhat she organizes new election and screws herself up. And the opposition's not better, as Corbyn is a communist shitbag. At least, here Macron is guaranteed to take over the Parliament with up to 425/577 MPs.

Reactions: TheDarkGreninja

TheDarkGreninja

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Whether or not there is objective morality is actually quite an interesting argument. I personally want to believe that there is, because it would help me to have more faith that humans as a species are good, but sometimes I have my doubts. My dad is a Philosophy teacher at my college and we have conversations about things like this a lot.

Indeed. I'd argue there is. As there is no rational reason to kill 9 million people. The only one I could ever think of was to kill 9 million innocent people to save 10 million innocent people for a net gain of 1 million innocent people.

Reactions: bi388

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
You might like my textbook for this semester, it can be gotten as a PDF very easily. Search for Tavani Ethics PDF. Though it is mostly applied ethics, it still discusses the various theories (for applying to ethical dilemmas in IT).

Reactions: bi388

Aurora Wright

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
And what might that be? Anyway, we've digressed enough, I think.
Take a society where killing is allowed and isn't considered wrong or unlawful. People would kill each other fairly often, people would live in fear of being killed, etc.
A moment would come when people, afraid of being killed, decided that killing each other mustn't be done and that it's "wrong", and put it into law to punish those who don't respect this rule.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
IMO if you are at the left of the left-wing party that's it. For me far-left = communist. I know Americans&co have a different df. of communism, but I'm not talking about USSR communism, far from that.
If you use words to mean other than their actual definition then you'll get a lot of problems communicating what you mean.

TheDarkGreninja

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Take a society where killing is allowed and isn't considered wrong or unlawful. People would kill each other fairly often, people would live in fear of being killed, etc.
A moment would come when people, afraid of being killed, decided that killing each other mustn't be done and that it's "wrong", and put it into law to punish those who don't respect this rule.

So evolutionary biology then? Those who do not want to fight survive and those who do die, therefore meaning the morals of those who did not want to fight are passed on to the next generation.
What then would be the reason for making polyamy illegal?

For the American tempers who might be confused about Corbyn, he's basically Britain's Bernie.

bi388

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So evolutionary biology then? Those who do not want to fight survive and those who do die, therefore meaning the morals of those who did not want to fight are passed on to the next generation.
Some lawmaker was upset that studs stole all the girls /s

Reactions: TheDarkGreninja

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

For the American tempers who might be confused about Corbyn, he's basically Britain's Bernie.

Which is better than having a British Clinton IMO.

Aurora Wright

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
If by polygamy you mean relationships among more than 2 people, I'd say that monogamy used to be important in regulating western society in the past (with the man and the woman having different roles, the former was in control and went to work, and the latter was relegated to taking care of children and the house).
However, that's no longer needed. I'm myself in favor of rights to people in consensual polyamorous relationships

Reactions: g309768

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-