Homebrew Browserhax is dead (on 9.9 and up)

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Until yesterday I was able to open it, but now I've tried both my 3DS and 4.5 says that I have to update the firmware to use Browser

So you're saying you were able to open the browser on 4.5 yesterday, but not today? What is your exact firmware on this 4.5 3DS? Please go into system settings and get the full version (4.5.0-?? <- We need to know what the last two numbers before the "E" are).

tivu100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Until yesterday I was able to open it, but now I've tried both my 3DS and 4.5 says that I have to update the firmware to use Browser
Red Alert:!:

This may prove to be very serious problem. We should start NAND back up now(MSET exploit of course) before opening browser.

Last edited by tivu100,

tivu100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Before we panic, let's relax and figure out what exactly happened with his 3DS.
I am holding this friend's 9.9 N3DS, he has Ironfall and ThemeHax as of now. I reset browser after using BrowserHax to install IronHax 2.5 yesterday (Even delete Internet settings). Fortunately he hasn't come to pick up the N3DS yet when I left it at another friend's house.

What should I do to save the browser, in case (hopefully the other guy didn't have itchy hands) this is not infected by the update snag yet?

Last edited by tivu100,

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I am holding this friend's 9.9 N3DS, he has Ironfall and ThemeHax as of now. I reset browser after using BrowserHax to install IronHax 2.5 yesterday (Even delete Internet settings). What should I do to save the browser, in case (hopefully) this is not infected by the update snag yet?

As far as I know, blocking cbvc.cdn.nintendo.net with a DNS or proxy will work as long as the system has never gotten the browser nag, but you might want to wait until we get word that the tubehax DNS is blocking it.

EmanueleBGN

Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Italy
So you're saying you were able to open the browser on 4.5 yesterday, but not today? What is your exact firmware on this 4.5 3DS? Please go into system settings and get the full version (4.5.0-?? <- We need to know what the last two numbers before the "E" are).

OK, don't worry: it was my fault! Now I have no Browser: 4.5.0-0E!

Reactions: tivu100 and daxtsu

gaseoso

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
I'm using a 4.4.0-10E 3DS, and I cannot get browserhax to work. I'm not getting an update message, though. It's just the default error message.

ItsYogSothoth

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I dunno what is it releated to - Old or New 3DS or region you're in. Mine New 3DS 9.9.0-26 E browser works fine and browserhax (stragehax or whatever) works fine. I used it to update Ironhax...

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
What was the point of Nintendo doing this? It only affects homebrew users as CFW users can always choose to update their emuNANDs to any firmware they want. You'd think they'd be more concerned with piracy than homebrew.

I don't understand why any company would reject homebrew at all, surely it is better for there to be more games and apps, people will continue to buy the system for longer, even if you run out of ideas for first party games? Why not have a dev package (that maybe is restricted and can't produce full games like licensed devs) for free or cheap and have an App Store, they could police it like Apple does if they are concerned about people enabling piracy or producing low-quality products or ones with bugs.

Reactions: peteruk

ItsYogSothoth

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
What was the point of Nintendo doing this? It only affects homebrew users as CFW users can always choose to update their emuNANDs to any firmware they want. You'd think they'd be more concerned with piracy than homebrew.

I don't understand why any company would reject homebrew at all, surely it is better for there to be more games and apps, people will continue to buy the system for longer, even if you run out of ideas for first party games? Why not have a dev package (that maybe is restricted and can't produce full games like licensed devs) for free or cheap and have an App Store, they could police it like Apple does if they are concerned about people enabling piracy or producing low-quality products or ones with bugs.
Nintendo wants good quality games, not s*** load of them. But blocking homebrew is strange for me too... For me, homebrew shows full capacities of system...

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

My best guess is probably piracy, believe it or not. People were able to use browserhax to inject ROMs into VC titles (weak reason, but it's still there), and the advent of HANS would allow people to get on the eshop, buy a game, and then share it with the Internet via making a CIA/3DS file out of it (grab the title key, and you can download it off NUS with no license or anything). Browserhax was an easy target for them; it's not a game, and they have direct access to the source code, so they can plant a killswitch/bomb in it easily.

And yes, I know about freemultipatcher and how people were already doing it before HANS came out, and how we can still access the eShop even now. :P

Last edited by daxtsu,

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
My best guess is probably piracy, believe it or not. People were able to use browserhax to inject ROMs into VC titles (weak reason, but it's still there), and the advent of HANS would allow people to get on the eshop, buy a game, and then share it with the Internet via making a CIA/3DS file out of it (grab the title key, and you can download it off NUS with no license or anything). Browserhax was an easy target for them; it's not a game, and they have direct access to the source code, so they can plant a killswitch/bomb in it easily.

And yes, I know about freemultipatcher and how people were already doing it before HANS came out, and how we can still access the eShop even now. :P
Wow, what is HANS? First I have heard of it. If you just want to reply telling me to do a Google search, don't worry, I will do that as soon as I tap Post Reply :-)

Reactions: peteruk

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Does this mean the Gateway GO and rxtools web adress will not work anymore either? Because that would suck balls as I use it on my old 3DS whenever I need it (I basically use it as ROM decryption machine).
Can't test right now.
No they will still work, it is only machines with 9.9 or higher that are affected.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Damn internets dragging like a dogs ass +1