Homebrew game BULB! (GameBoy Color Homebrew)

KimKong

Game Developer / Graphic Artist / Musician
OP
Trophies
Website
skrap-klan.itch.io
XP
Country
Norway
BULB! Sticker4.png

LIGHT UP YOUR LIFE - WITH BULB!

A new puzzle platformer for the GameBoy Color with 23 levels, 3 boss fights and a weapon power up.

The game is playable for free in your browser.

It's also released as a downloadable digital ROM file, and it is available on a physical cartridge (you can choose between 4 box styles) with a built in LED light that light up the cart when the in-game light is turned on.

You can also get the Analogue Pocket ROM and play it on your new hardware!

The cartridge is now available on the shop!
BULB_ledCART4.png

EDIT:
- New version is up! (BULB! v2.5)
- Also compatible with the Analogue Pocket!
- Shop listing for the cartridge is up!
- 4 different types of boxes to choose from!

Last edited by KimKong,

KimKong

OP
Trophies
Website
skrap-klan.itch.io
XP
Country
Norway
Nice! Cool idea and very retro. I played a little with your web player thingy on my mobile but mobile touchscreen d pads suck!!! Would like to try with a proper controller!

Seems pretty sweet tho :yaysp:
Thanks for playing!
And yeah, touchscreen is no good for platform puzzle games..

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Really nice idea! The web demo looks good.
Is there a real GBC ROM file that could be loaded with a flashcart on Game Boy (I'm not very good with the keyboard).

Last edited by KleinesSinchen,

KimKong

OP
Trophies
Website
skrap-klan.itch.io
XP
Country
Norway
No probs, I did enjoy it and will look out for future updates! If I could inject it for playing on Wii U that be cool.
Yes this is a real GBColor rom, so you can play it on anything that can run GB games. Or inject the rom into any console you want. (Wii, WiiU, 3DS, Switch).

Really nice idea! The web demo looks good.
Is there a real GBC ROM file that could be loaded with a flashcart on Game Boy (I'm not very good with the keyboard).
Thanks for playing! You can play this game on real hardware using flashcards (or if you have a GBxCart RW you can flash it to a real GB cart). It runs on GBC/GBA/DS/DSi or any console with an emulator. Or inject the rom and run through VC.

I will release the GB ROM file when I get further along in development. This is still an early demo I made in a couple of days. So stay tuned for future updates!

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
A little feedback:
It looks really promising and I had fun with the little demo.

NES and GB(C) games using (A) for run and (B) for jump are a bit counter-intuitive. Normally one holds (B) while running and rolls the thumb over to (A) to press a simultaneously for a long jump (not sure if I described that well). Holding (A) and rolling over to (B) does not work as good.
There was no real need to do this in the short demo, but if the levels get more complex and contain trickier jumps it might be necessary.

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I will also release this game on a physical cartridge when it's finished, and I have got my GBxCart RW! So if anybody is interested, you can send me a PM or comment on my itch.io page (I will prob reply faster on there)

Cool! I try to support physical homebrew releases when I can - I'm waiting on my physical copy of Super JetPak DX for GB/GBC to show up... the 'publisher' of that one ( https://pocketpixel.design/ ) might be a good fit for your completed project ;)

KimKong

OP
Trophies
Website
skrap-klan.itch.io
XP
Country
Norway
A little feedback:
It looks really promising and I had fun with the little demo.

NES and GB(C) games using (A) for run and (B) for jump are a bit counter-intuitive. Normally one holds (B) while running and rolls the thumb over to (A) to press a simultaneously for a long jump (not sure if I described that well). Holding (A) and rolling over to (B) does not work as good.
There was no real need to do this in the short demo, but if the levels get more complex and contain trickier jumps it might be necessary.
Thank you for the feedback! I am well aware of this button flip-flopp.. But for some strange reason this button configuration is hardcoded into the software I'm using to build this game.. I'm hoping it will be fixed in future updates.

Cool! I try to support physical homebrew releases when I can - I'm waiting on my physical copy of Super JetPak DX for GB/GBC to show up... the 'publisher' of that one ( https://pocketpixel.design/ ) might be a good fit for your completed project ;)
Thanks! I'm planing on building my own releases and doing the publishing myself tho. But thanks for mentioning PocketPixel!

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Following, will try it out on my Micro once you release a ROM B-)
Unfortunately the GB Micro doesn't have the GBC hardware -- although you might have luck with the Goomba Color emulator for GBA.

I just uploaded a new version of BULB!
Check it out right here: https://skrap-klan.itch.io/bulb
Now featuring an attack and a level consisting of more than one screen.

Again: Looking good so far. Game Boy Color patiently waiting for release.

KimKong

OP
Trophies
Website
skrap-klan.itch.io
XP
Country
Norway
Been developing a lot of cool new stuff for BULB!
Some of the new features are a new house with more levels, a final bossfight, and a intro cut-scene to sort of give the game a story. I'm also working on making music for all the different houses. I'm sorry to say I haven't updated the playable version on itch.io yet..

But in the meantime you can take a look at this cartridge sticker idea..!

What do you think?

Attachments

• CART Yellow.png
    CART Yellow.png
    297.2 KB · Views: 183
Last edited by KimKong,

KimKong

OP
Trophies
Website
skrap-klan.itch.io
XP
Country
Norway
SUPER SECRET HIDDEN LEVEL SKIPP WARP ZONE MENU thingy....

EyTKXEmWgAAnJTw

That's right, boys 'n gal's - BULB! just made a secret warp menu!
Look for clues on how to unlock it when you beat the final boss and complete the game!

Also, a new version will be uploaded very soon! It's got some major upgrades to the whole thing, so hope you will enjoy it!
Stay tuned, folks!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: gonna look if i still have that sd card adapter