PS1/2 Burning PS1/PS2 disc.

Deadfalr

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I've been searching for a good cd/dvd burner who actually do 6x or less. I've tried on my computer it can't do less than 10x. Every burner i've tried couldn't do less than 8x, every time i tried lower, imgburn told me it couldn't go lower than 10x. Does anyone know any good burner for cd/dvd because it's really a pain.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Not only the writer, also the blank media must support different write speeds. Modern blank DVDs often only support high speeds. This should not be a problem with modern drives. I generally use the lowest possible speed, but although my writer is some years old, I have to burn most discs on 8x now.

DVD1.png

DVD2.png

Deadfalr

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Then could you recommend to me a burner that's good for this kind of stuff and medium that support 4x ?

SonyUSA

We're all mad here
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Check the super popular ihas b models used for xbox 360 burning, I know it supports down to 2.4x and they are only about $20 (or were anyway).

Reactions: Deadfalr

Deadfalr

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Well i searched for the burner that was recommended to me and it's sold out basically everywhere and is sold on ebay for like 60$, so that's a no go. As for an hdd well my problem is that i own a slim ps2, not the fat one. I also had a problem with my old playstation, it could not read my burned cd-r verbatim properly, they all had issues and runned poorly with graphical glitches but normal games ran fine so it can't be the console. So if anybody has any other burner they could recommend or any type of medium who they know will work perfectly. Feel free to recommend it to me.

SonyUSA

We're all mad here
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's been soooo long since I've touched PS2. Have you considered PCSX2 emulation instead? I think it runs really nicely?

Deadfalr

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm slowly giving up on burning disc and i think i'm going to stick to imports. Maybe i will try loading games from usb. I thank all of you for your advices, but if anyone has any other good recommendation or advice please post them. I'm open to anything. As for emulation yes i already tried and it's not running so well on my pc.

Last edited by Deadfalr,
Reactions: SonyUSA

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
I thought there were issues with cutscenes if you tried playing games from a usb drive on a ps2.

Unfortunately I can’t say and it likely depends in the game/usb loader.

OPL iirc does support running games over smb which may be worth looking into.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'm slowly giving up on burning disc and i think i'm going to stick to imports. Maybe i will try loading games from usb. I thank all of you for your advices, but if anyone has any other good recommendation or advice please post them. I'm open to anything. As for emulation yes i already tried and it's not running so well on my pc.
The possibilities depend on your PS2 model:
  • For the “fat” model installing the network adapter and a hard drive is the best (but expensive) possibility. Loading from HDD is really fast and compatibility is also good. There are threads about this. I can’t help you with that because I do not own the network adapter.
  • Loading from USB is possible if the game does not mind very slow loading (PS2 only has USB 1.1). Compatibility is not so good. Cutscenes will stutter or skip out completely. Some games crash.
  • Loading from smb/network works a lot better than USB. Cutscenes do not skip in general and loading times are only slightly worse than from legit discs. I did some brief tests some time ago.
For PS1 games the USB 1.1 interface is fast enough as the original Playstation had only a painfully slow 2x CD-drive (300kb/s). Supported games work fine with popstarter (Because this is copyrighted material I may not link or assist you in finding it – do not ask where to get it.)

Lastly about burning speeds: If you search the web, you get all sorts of inconsistent advises. Some say “burn slow, especially for gaming consoles”; some say “it does not matter”, some “it does not matter anymore with modern drives and modern media”.
Just try some different blank media, choose the lowest possible speed and look if it works stable. I personally prefer non-disc based loading whenever possible in any console because it is more convenient and I do not want to wear down the lasers.

Localhorst86

Robert'); DROP TABLE members;--
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The possibilities depend on your PS2 model:
  • For the “fat” model installing the network adapter and a hard drive is the best (but expensive) possibility. Loading from HDD is really fast and compatibility is also good. There are threads about this. I can’t help you with that because I do not own the network adapter.
Network adapters are no longer expensive, there are now third party alternatives available from china. From ~$10 for an IDE one to ~$15 for a SATA adapter.

regarding burn speeds: I have usually heard that you're supposed to burn with the maximum speed your drive can muster, as that's the speed it has been designed for. Now, It's been ages since I last used a burned disc on any of my consoles, but back in the 360 days I generally did not have any issues with games burned to disc at maximum speed.

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Network adapters are no longer expensive, there are now third party alternatives available from china. From ~$10 for an IDE one to ~$15 for a SATA adapter.
Nice. I did not know about third party adapters with SATA. My estimation was: original network adapter + IDE-SATA-bridge + HDD = much money (compared to using an existing computer with smb)
regarding burn speeds: I have usually heard that you're supposed to burn with the maximum speed your drive can muster, as that's the speed it has been designed for. Now, It's been ages since I last used a burned disc on any of my consoles, but back in the 360 days I generally did not have any issues with games burned to disc at maximum speed.
Now we have the next inconsistent advise. That one is new to me.

Last edited by KleinesSinchen,

Localhorst86

Robert'); DROP TABLE members;--
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Nice. I did not know about third party adapters with SATA. My estimation was: original network adapter + IDE-SATA-bridge + HDD = much money (compared to using an existing computer with smb)

Now we have the next inconsistent advise. That one is new to me.
Yeah, I remember that I paid ~100€ for my original HDD/Network adapter back in the day. IDE drives were still the norm back then, though. Nowadays, IDE drives are harder to come by, particularly in larger sizes. So if you have a spare drive lying around at home (i myself have dozens of HDs), it's now a rather cheap investment.

Heck, get a FAT PS2 with a broken laser from ebay for cheap, get an SATA adapter and find someone to install FreeMCBoot on a memory card and you're good to go for cheap PS2 gaming.
PS2SATA.png

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, Very accurate.