Gaming Hardware Others Burning Wii discs is dificult

Dead_walrus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've attempted to burn a Wii disc of skyward sword 2 times, both times it just corrupted the DVD, I first tried with a DVD+R, then a DVD-R. I don't know what to do, and I am trying to use it on my Wii u, but do have a Wii, I just can't set up the Wii with my capture card due to the Wii taking a, and not HDMI, anybody willing to help?

Reactions: SylverReZ

MichiS97

"Leftist snowflake milennial"
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I've attempted to burn a Wii disc of skyward sword 2 times, both times it just corrupted the DVD, I first tried with a DVD+R, then a DVD-R. I don't know what to do, and I am trying to use it on my Wii u, but do have a Wii, I just can't set up the Wii with my capture card due to the Wii taking a, and not HDMI, anybody willing to help?
You will never be able to play burned discs on your Wii U. Wii may be possible with homebrew depending on which disc drive you have, but in general it's not possible

Also, how did the burning process corrupt your disc? Your PC will not be able to read any Wii disc. Original or burned.

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Its not possible to play burned media on the Wii U, except for the Wii.

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

Dead_walrus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Explain your ripping & burning processes (including hardware & apps you used).
i ripped from a disc using a homebrewed wii, not sure what the app is called lol, then i burned using an app called imgburn on my pc, using basic settings, burning the .iso rom straight onto the disc, corrupting it.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i ripped from a disc using a homebrewed wii, not sure what the app is called lol, then i burned using an app called imgburn on my pc, using basic settings, burning the .iso rom straight onto the disc, corrupting it.
Cleanrip should be used to dump Wii discs in order to burn copies.
Imgburn for writing is fine.
How does corruption show? Does verification fail? Did you try loading your backup disc in Dolphin on the PC?

As mentioned above: The Wii U drive itself will reject anything but genuine Wii or Wii U discs. While Wii and GameCube discs are DVDs on the physical level, they are not on the logical level. Since it was considered to add official DVD video playback capability to the Wii at some point in development, early(!) Wii drives are able to read standard DVD-ROM and DVD±R. This feature can be unlocked with homebrew software or a modchip. Only a modchip will unlock the full speed for standard DVDs; the software method is 🐌🐌🐌
Console disc protections are a beast and to my knowledge none of them has been beat with a consumer burner (in the sense: burned copy passes the check on unmodified console)
=======

Possible solutions:
  • Use the original disc. After all you have one if you dumped it.
  • Use a USB loader on Wii or vWii.

Last edited by KleinesSinchen,

morning_glory

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
On my pc I used GDR8161/62/63/64 DVD-rom with Friidump. Imgburn to ISO.
All my originals were done in this manner (270+ Wii games). Took ages, but it worked. Even dual-layer discs were perfect.

I used WiiBaFu to convert to WBFS & presto.
Out of 270+ rips, I had 2 bad reads/copies. Re-did them & all good. Maybe crap blanks.

Surprised that Imgburn isn't reporting a bad burn/read (or is it ?).
Perhaps your blanks are shitty/old (?).
Or a bad dump (?). Maybe due to scratched originals (?). Or are they copies ? Blanks don't last long & deteriorate. Corrupt data :(

My above methods were used to prolong the Wii drive & I had a hard-mod.

Using the Wii apps methods for ripping is something I never tried. Never needed to.

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there is an old usb loader called Uloader that will boot burned wii games off a usb dvd drive. i have tried it and it works. Now what i have not tried is doing it on a wii U's vwii. that prob does not work. this loader was made way before the wii U was a thing.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
there is an old usb loader called Uloader that will boot burned wii games off a usb dvd drive. i have tried it and it works. Now what i have not tried is doing it on a wii U's vwii. that prob does not work. this loader was made way before the wii U was a thing.
Stumbled upon this recently as well. It works great on the Wii; way better than expected which means: better/faster than software method (🐌) of using the internal drive for backups.
Just tried on Wii U: "Requires cIOS 222 or 223" → Exit

I've not yet looked into this. I believe (?) somewhere in the uLoader documentation cIOS 249 was mentioned – as a kind of fallback. I've no idea if this old loader can even use current cIOS and/or if the old ones that usually went to slot 222/223 ever saw a Wii U version. This shows I would need more systematic reading in Wii and Wii U topics (instead of only playing games after running ModMii or using wiiu.hacks.guide).

It is a bit sad that the *option* for using external DVD drives isn't present in newer loaders. You know: "HDD is better alternative, so no need for this."

• Love
Reactions: Alexander1970

morning_glory

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
My method of ripping Wii games with Friidump & burning with Imgburn (DVD-R & Dual-layers) worked fine.
This method doesn't copy/rip the boot/security part of original Wii games (clearly visible on disc). So, you're left with a non-bootable Wii game. The hard-mod/s bypassed that directly.
But, if you can dump/rip the same Wii games with the above method, & then convert them into WBFS files, & put on your USB devices & they will work (no boot sectors). All without the bootable security part (yeah - I know). The DVD roms in question can still read them (the non-bootable rips). It's clearly audible.
I haven't got around in trying to run Wii game back-ups directly from a GDR81XX & using GX or any other apps. I always simply thought that apps (GX & the like) would just simply boot/start it without any issues. Looks like I was wrong :(
I did overlook the fact that the DVD-R backup is still as ISO (without boot-record). Perhaps once the Wii game rips are converted to WBFS files, & then re-converted back to ISO & burned, it may work better (another DVD boot sectors returned ???) ? I really need to try this for myself. Time, work & sanity is killing me :(

ULoader seems old but still functional (for the some/most of it). But then the read speeds are snail paced, & the changing of under-ware after ULoader starts loudly ;)

One for the coders - Would it hard to update ULoader ?
Many would say "No". Inserting/changing discs is/was tedious. USB storage wins.
I have my original Wii games, plus 2 sets of backed-up copies. Just sitting there, slowly deteriorating :(

a_username_that_isnt_cool

Well-Hated Member (Also)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My method of ripping Wii games with Friidump & burning with Imgburn (DVD-R & Dual-layers) worked fine.
This method doesn't copy/rip the boot/security part of original Wii games (clearly visible on disc). So, you're left with a non-bootable Wii game. The hard-mod/s bypassed that directly.
But, if you can dump/rip the same Wii games with the above method, & then convert them into WBFS files, & put on your USB devices & they will work (no boot sectors). All without the bootable security part (yeah - I know). The DVD roms in question can still read them (the non-bootable rips). It's clearly audible.
I haven't got around in trying to run Wii game back-ups directly from a GDR81XX & using GX or any other apps. I always simply thought that apps (GX & the like) would just simply boot/start it without any issues. Looks like I was wrong :(
I did overlook the fact that the DVD-R backup is still as ISO (without boot-record). Perhaps once the Wii game rips are converted to WBFS files, & then re-converted back to ISO & burned, it may work better (another DVD boot sectors returned ???) ? I really need to try this for myself. Time, work & sanity is killing me :(

ULoader seems old but still functional (for the some/most of it). But then the read speeds are snail paced, & the changing of under-ware after ULoader starts loudly ;)

One for the coders - Would it hard to update ULoader ?
Many would say "No". Inserting/changing discs is/was tedious. USB storage wins.
I have my original Wii games, plus 2 sets of backed-up copies. Just sitting there, slowly deteriorating :(
I am not a coder, I literally can't even figure out how to compile hb-appstore, but due to changes in devKitPro, I don't think it'd be possible.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This method doesn't copy/rip the boot/security part of original Wii games (clearly visible on disc).
There is more than the visible laser cuts (and the BCA). The sector format is different. Consumer drives don't allow writing arbitrary data. They will only write sectors according to the DVD standard. Our drives don't even allow reading uncorrected raw data.

Console disc security is a very interesting topic, which gets no attention (anymore). Even some basic understanding of these kind of protections is hard to gain. Little (good) information online. Again, to my knowledge no protected console discs have been beat. Of course the security has been circumvented otherwise (modchips, temporary software exploits, swap tricks, optical drive emulators, permanent CFW on newer consoles), but I've never seen a simple burned copy passing through the front door¹ of the security check.

Opposed to most disc based DRM on PCs, console discs using characteristics which PC drives don't even acknowledge are extremely resistant against end user copies. Even unlicensed pressed discs are scarce. It is a task of significant difficulty level.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-close-are-we-to-true-reproduction-discs.591276/

I am not a coder, I literally can't even figure out how to compile hb-appstore, but due to changes in devKitPro, I don't think it'd be possible.
How about old versions of the development kit? For the case that the current environment will not compile it. The first step would be compiling uLoader unmodifed as it is now. This might – with newer devkit – already solve the Wii Remote Plus issue.
Else it would be understanding the DVD loading code (external drive). Maybe it could be integrated into a newer loader. Does it depend on old cIOS? Would it even work with d2x-v11-beta1?
That goes way beyond what I can handle… and developers will have no interest because:
USB storage wins.

* Rumors about an old Plextor with CFW writing valid PS1 discs aren't really convincing. It this is true: Why does nobody show an unmodified PS1 booting a CD-R like an original?!

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
* Rumors about an old Plextor with CFW writing valid PS1 discs aren't really convincing. It this is true: Why does nobody show an unmodified PS1 booting a CD-R like an original?!
Yeah, never heard of this but almost certainly false, "the wobble" on "blank" CD-R is called ATIP, already used, and critical to make them writable... never mind the atypical movements the drive would need to have (not totally impossible but would be a rather bigger job than infinite region changes)

...and I don't think there's a practical way to prove beyond any doubt, on video that can be cut and joined, that a PS1 is stock!

As for making an other "USB DVD" loader, it might be relatively easy - AFAIK the software ODE in CIOS just takes a sector list (so it's intrinsecally filesystem independent), it's also 4Kn disk friendly so it plausibly has no problems with 2Kn discs either, and the best and worst of USB Mass Storage Class is that everything is LBA, even things that shouldn't like floppies :D

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Going fully off-topic here… but… well.
Yeah, never heard of this
[YouTube] (In?)famous video
It is parroted very often.
Then this https://hackaday.com/2018/11/05/how-the-sony-playstation-was-hacked/ (In the comments; CTRL+F "Plextor")

"the wobble" on "blank" CD-R is called ATIP, already used, and critical to make them writable...
That is repeated over and over again:
:teach: "The pregroove is wobbled at the same frequency (22050Hz) as the PS1 copy protection. As the wobble is already there, we can't have a way of having not wobbled portions → Impossible. Case closed. Next topic." :teach:

I'm not convinced by this either. The ATIP wobble has an amplitude of only 0.03µm. Compared to the pit width of 0.6µm with a minimal length of 0.8µm that is more an order of magnitude smaller. Track pitch is 1.6µm. Read-only drives generally are unable to pick up the very weak signal from the pregroove (after all a CD-R is supposed to work just like a CD-ROM and for the most it does even in old drives like 1980s CDDA players). I could see the pregroove with a normal microscope, as well as written data. Noticing the wobble? Nah. Too small of an amplitude.

I found no information about the amplitude of the wobble in PS1 discs. My guess is that it is much bigger and it is the data track itself that wobbles – not a surrounding minuscule pregroove which doesn't exist on pressed discs.

No idea how a CFW should make a writer introduce deliberate tracking error. Drive firmware usually has nothing to do with the servo systems. They do their job on their own (feedback loops?). Probably the main CPU(?) of the drive would be unable to even actively handle that at the needed speed.
An interesting question is what would happen when trying to introduce tracking error with an external signal generator (which must also observe the current position of the tracking system). Would the servo be able to handle the movement (at least 88200Hz for old writers supporting 4x writing), where I've seen 5KHz as the cutoff frequency in a service manual (pickup stops trying to follow every deviation if the movement exceeds 5KHz)??

Probably either the burning process aborts with "Tracking Servo Failure" as error code or the pickup will just not do such movements at the needed speed. The PS1 protection as such is ingenious.

...and I don't think there's a practical way to prove beyond any doubt, on video that can be cut and joined, that a PS1 is stock!
Yeah. Why trust anything? Of course there is no way to 100% verify a random video. Starting there we can doubt any announcement about anything until getting the hands on this ourselves.
Really: If a kind self-booting CD-R exists, it should be possible to give them to multiple mildly reputable video authors for verification. But wait… there could be a conspiracy between all authors faking the videos at the same time!
🤦‍♀️

As for making an other "USB DVD" loader, it might be relatively easy - AFAIK the software ODE in CIOS just takes a sector list (so it's intrinsecally filesystem independent), it's also 4Kn disk friendly so it plausibly has no problems with 2Kn discs either, and the best and worst of USB Mass Storage Class is that everything is LBA, even things that shouldn't like floppies *****
That is a pretty distanced level statement. "Might be easy." "Just a sector list"
If it is very easy it should be part of loaders and cIOS regardless of the modern condescending look on optical media. Just because more options are better.

Last edited by KleinesSinchen,

pichuluv84

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Burnt discs will not work for the Wii U. Burnt discs can work with the Wii as long as you don't have the D3-2 drive.

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Stumbled upon this recently as well. It works great on the Wii; way better than expected which means: better/faster than software method (🐌) of using the internal drive for backups.
Just tried on Wii U: "Requires cIOS 222 or 223" → Exit

I've not yet looked into this. I believe (?) somewhere in the uLoader documentation cIOS 249 was mentioned – as a kind of fallback. I've no idea if this old loader can even use current cIOS and/or if the old ones that usually went to slot 222/223 ever saw a Wii U version. This shows I would need more systematic reading in Wii and Wii U topics (instead of only playing games after running ModMii or using wiiu.hacks.guide).

It is a bit sad that the *option* for using external DVD drives isn't present in newer loaders. You know: "HDD is better alternative, so no need for this."
I bet ios222,223 have some module for usb optical drives on the usb mass storage . I wonder if my desktop bluray drive in a usb enclosure will work? I bet if i burned a wii Iso onto a bluray, it would boot. Thats if Uloader can use usb bdr drives. I suppose i should try it. I think uloader will load an .iso file burned on a dvd-r as a regular data disc.

morning_glory

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Apologies OP.
Slightly going off-topic, but you did include WiiU & Wii in your post.
I also gather you prefer WiiU over Wii (?).
But, this is how things usually start out. What they can lead to is what I call "magic" :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol