Gaming PS1/2 PS2 Games that Stand the Test of Time?

Robert Newbie

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought this would be a good topic. Which PS2 games in your opinion stand up after all these years?

Jak & Daxter
This one just gets that Super Mario 64 formula right. Good variety, art, and animation.

Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King
The best Level-5 game. Great everything and worthwhile storyline.

Devil May Cry
I usually see DMC3 cited as the best of the PS2 games, but I always though the original was the best all around experience.

EDIT: Fixed my half sentence.

Last edited by Robert Newbie,

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Test Drive Unlimited and the Legacy of Kain series for me.
Test Drive Unlimited is still the only open world racing game that actually gets it right to just drive around and do races at your leisure, and has a nice variety of cars available. While the PC version is technically better it's also slightly more annoying to get running on PC properly these days.

The LoK series is in a similar boat, the writing still holds up and the puzzles are all pretty fun. They can also all be pretty annoying to play on modern PCs and don't emulate very well otherwise.

Reactions: Quore

Robert Newbie

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Test Drive Unlimited and the Legacy of Kain series for me.
Test Drive Unlimited is still the only open world racing game that actually gets it right to just drive around and do races at your leisure, and has a nice variety of cars available. While the PC version is technically better it's also slightly more annoying to get running on PC properly these days.

The LoK series is in a similar boat, the writing still holds up and the puzzles are all pretty fun. They can also all be pretty annoying to play on modern PCs and don't emulate very well otherwise.
I looked up some Test Drive Unlimited clips and I was really surprised. It looks very well made. I'll have to try it sometime.

I want to throw Radiata Stories into the list. It's a fun JRPG with excellent music and graphics.

Ettino

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
A lot of them do. Especially if you're playing them through PCSX2 and up the resolution to 4k. DQ8 looks amazing at the res. I'm actually playing Shadow Heart series atm with hi res patch.

Reactions: cloud-strife777

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I looked up some Test Drive Unlimited clips and I was really surprised. It looks very well made. I'll have to try it sometime.
If you have a PS3 or a PC the second entry, Test Drive Unlimited 2, is technically superior in every aspect and largely makes the first one obsolete. The second entry adds more roads to O'ahu and also unlocks Ibiza with roughly the same amount of roads as the first island, plus a ton of more cars, proper off-roading, and more things to do, and bikes. They also have a better community patch to fix a bunch of issues Atari never tackled.

But for PS2 the first entry is still grand. If you want more jank it also has a PSP port, but that one is hard at the border of being playable, plus has a lot fewer cars. But it's at least portable!

LingFox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Most of them :rofl2:
in all seriousness, I think the following apply:
Personal opinion lol. If your game isn't listed here, either I haven't played, don't care for it, or simply forgot.
  • Metal Gear Solid 2 & 3;
  • Gran Turismo 4;
  • The first 4 Ratchet & Clank games (1,2,3, Gladiator), the fifth one doesn't count since it's a shoddy PSP port;
  • The Sly cooper series (which ends with the third game);
  • The Jak series;
  • Shadow of the Colossus;
  • Ace Combat (At least 4 and Zero, 5 is an idle game);
  • Beyond good and evil;
  • Burnout 3 and Revenge;
  • Castlevania/Lament of Innocence;
  • Dragon Quest 7;
  • MotorStorm (RIP) arctic edge;
  • R-Type Final (better than RTF 2, at least you unlock stuff instead of paying to unlock them);
  • Dynamite Deka/Die Hard Arcade;
  • The Simp Hit&Run;
  • Zone Of The Enders
  • Armored Core Nexus, 2, 3 and basically all armored core games.
  • Tekken 4 and Tekken 5 (really, they had more than one games in them);
  • TOCA Race Driver 3 (last toca game before it became grid and died; also on PC it has to be cracked due to intrusive DRM);
  • FlatOut Virtua Racing;
  • SEGA Rally Championship, not the REVO;
  • Shrek 2 and SuperSlam, not for the Shrek meme, but they're interesting at least;
  • Ridge Racer V;
I still don't care what the PlayStation 2 detractors say, it is the greatest console of all time.
But I wish all of its games were decompiled and subsequently ported to PC, especially GT4.

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King
The best Level-5 game. Great everything and worthwhile storyline.
Yes,definitely.
For me,this Game was a lot more Fun (because of the Characters) than Dragon Quest XI (PC).
Unfortunately,the 3DS Portation turned this great and unique PlayStation only Title into a Nintendo Wallet Filler.

Other "timeless" Titles for me on the PlayStation 2:

- Shadow of the Colossus (same here -The Remake for PS4 ws a big "Damage" to the original Game..)
- Resident Evil 4 - Thanks to "Traitor" Shinji Mikami (???) it didn´t stay as a shitty "Nintendo only"...
- God of War 1 & 2 (same here - The PC "Sequel" did not really helped these "Gems"...)

Robert Newbie

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes,definitely.
For me,this Game was a lot more Fun (because of the Characters) than Dragon Quest XI (PC).
Unfortunately,the 3DS Portation turned this great and unique PlayStation only Title into a Nintendo Wallet Filler.

Other "timeless" Titles for me on the PlayStation 2:

- Shadow of the Colossus (same here -The Remake for PS4 ws a big "Damage" to the original Game..)
- Resident Evil 4 - Thanks to "Traitor" Shinji Mikami (???) it didn´t stay as a shitty "Nintendo only"...
- God of War 1 & 2 (same here - The PC "Sequel" did not really helped these "Gems"...)
Yeah, Dragon Quest XI didn't hit me the same as Level-5's work. I only played half of it, and I still feel slighted for buying the standard version just before the Definitive Edition was announced.

As for Dragon Quest VIII, I looked into the 3DS version and passed on it. A Vita port would have been a better choice overall, if the exploding mobile app market (All of a sudden everyone knew what Candy Crush was.) hadn't eaten up the Vita's chances.

I had forgotten about the Capcom Five! I wouldn't blame Shinji Mikami, since Viewtiful Joe (Hideki Kamiya) and Killer7 (Suda51) also made it to the PS2. If anything, Mikami gets a pass because P.N. 03 never left the GameCube. (The Resident Evil remake wasn't ported until a generation later.)

I hadn't thought about Dead Phoenix (The missing member of the Capcom Five) in a while either. IGN lobbied hard for Kid Icarus awareness during that time and claimed it was a Kid Icarus game in disguise. They finally quieted down after Smash Bros. Brawl and Uprising on the 3DS.

Sorry, derailed the thread. Good memories, though!

• Love
Reactions: Alexander1970

Quore

Racing Games Enjoyer
Trophies
Website
music.youtube.com
XP
Country
Brazil
I would suggest like:

• Black
That game is so well made with lots of specific details that even some newer FPS games don't have. The story is straight to the point and really interesting to watch till the end. To be honest I hope they DON'T release an sequel to it, because I know It would be trash AF

• Burnout 3/Revenge
"I DON'T KNOW WHY I'M DESTROY ALL OF THESE CARS AT SPEED OF SOUND BUT WHO CARES I'M FUCKING INVENCIBLE cof cof sorry wrong game

• Final Fantasy 12
In a quick resume, if you play the International Zodiac Job System (IZJS) you'll be basically playing The Zodiac Age FF12 but with the original graphics. Aside from that, the game has indeed a great story, with some good plot-twists from time to time and it even has the GAMBIT SYSTEM that no ther FF game has it (I don't know why, but it's basically a way to control what specific action will be made, on specific situation with specific target FOR EACH CHARACTER, this Gambit System on the End Game is something that will take some good hours just to make it near-Perfect

Robert Newbie

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would suggest like:

• Black
That game is so well made with lots of specific details that even some newer FPS games don't have. The story is straight to the point and really interesting to watch till the end. To be honest I hope they DON'T release an sequel to it, because I know It would be trash AF

• Burnout 3/Revenge
"I DON'T KNOW WHY I'M DESTROY ALL OF THESE CARS AT SPEED OF SOUND BUT WHO CARES I'M FUCKING INVENCIBLE cof cof sorry wrong game

• Final Fantasy 12
In a quick resume, if you play the International Zodiac Job System (IZJS) you'll be basically playing The Zodiac Age FF12 but with the original graphics. Aside from that, the game has indeed a great story, with some good plot-twists from time to time and it even has the GAMBIT SYSTEM that no ther FF game has it (I don't know why, but it's basically a way to control what specific action will be made, on specific situation with specific target FOR EACH CHARACTER, this Gambit System on the End Game is something that will take some good hours just to make it near-Perfect
Nice post. Those final PS2 games were a real classy finish for the console. From what I remember, Final Fantasy XII had great everything--- graphics (with the default blur turned off), music, gameplay. I need to go back and finish it someday.

• Wow

Quore

Racing Games Enjoyer
Trophies
Website
music.youtube.com
XP
Country
Brazil
Nice post. Those final PS2 games were a real classy finish for the console. From what I remember, Final Fantasy XII had great everything--- graphics (with the default blur turned off), music, gameplay. I need to go back and finish it someday.
I remember the first time I've completed the game, I had something around +180hrs and I still had much more to do

TheCryOfHatred

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
A lot of them do. Especially if you're playing them through PCSX2 and up the resolution to 4k. DQ8 looks amazing at the res. I'm actually playing Shadow Heart series atm with hi res patch.
No need to bump the resolution to 4k either, just at 1080p they already look great. The problem with emulation in general is that you can improve the 3D models, but 2D sprites, fonts, etc still look pixelated. No filter can solve that as magically as playing via a real console and a CRT TV, be it with component, composite, whatever. And no input lag is a BIG improvement as well... Its sad that most kids think that older games look pixelated as shit when that is not what they really look like.

As for the game that for me still stands the test of time, i must say Shadow Hearts 2, a very good game both graphically and in story and characters (even though i dont care about the odd old man and the child that can summon monsters)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto