Hardware buying RROD 360s and sending it to microsoft for repairs

blueagent004

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
there's a lot of defective 2006 CORE model xbox 360 that has RRODed long ago, and is being sold here as junk for the equivalent of around 10USD and less.

i was thinking of buying one, then sending it to microsoft for repairs. i remembered that the maximum amount they charged for repair of the console alone is 115 USD.

i imagine microsoft will just replace the whole motherboard & the melted GPU with a new one, so i was thinking.....isn't that kind of a good deal?

think about it, after the repairs you're getting "kind of" a new and working xbox 360 motherboard in an old chasis, which i rekon is a much better purchase than getting a used xbox360 costing 70-80 dollars which may already not have much time left?

what are you thoughts on this? do you think its a good deal?

Last edited by blueagent004,

TheRealNGB

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Repair it yourself, if you buy bulk repair kits, its as low as $2 a repair, granted it will not fix all issues, but for simple rrod repairs it will do, disc drive fixes take as little as some rubbing alcohol and a cotton swab, to clean the laser, and remove any dust that might be jamming it. If you can get working systems for $15 after repairs its not a bad deal, at that price you can give them a way and not feel bad about it, just don't expect a lot of profit, they are a hard sell in 2019 when gamestop gives them away practically free during the holidays. If you're really looking to boost your sales with any kind of profit, jtagging them would probably be your best route.

reddragon105

Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry, but no, that sounds like a terrible deal. $10 for the console + $115 for repair = $125 for a console you could have paid $20-30 for. Sure, the $30 console won't have any warranty (although I'm not sure what the MS warranty would be on repairs either), but for that repair cost you could have bought an additional three consoles as backup and chances are you won't need that many. Also, for a little more, you could buy a 2007 or later console with HDMI (and less prone to RROD issues), or for a little more still you could get a Slim or an E.

I've been repairing them since 2007 and can say that it is possible to do a decent DIY fix that lasts for next to no cost and very little effort - I've certainly never charged $115 for a repair! I can upload my old guide if it would be of any help, although I'm sure there are plenty of others out there, and as others have pointed out there are repair kits that make things pretty simple for you. I'd definitely give that a go before paying $115, especially as there won't be any warranty to void!

Reactions: blueagent004

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Y @ YuseiFD: :creep: