C64 Mini Announced

1.gif

A timeless classic is being given a new lease of life with the launch of THEC64 Mini.

Developed by Retro Games Ltd. - and distributed by Koch Media – THEC64 Mini is a fully licensed reimagining of the 80’s bestselling home computer.

c64mini.isometric.png

Half the size of the original, THEC64 Mini connects directly to your television and comes with a classic joystick, that plugs into one of the two USB ports available, allowing you to play the built-in games.

Launched in 1982, the C64 home computer went on to dominate the home computer scene throughout the 1980s. Millions of units were sold across the world and have a special place in the hearts of its former owners.

35 years later and it’s back. THEC64 Mini plugs into any modern TV via its HDMI port and gamers can play any one of the 64 licensed classic pre-installed games. This includes games from original legendary developers such as Epyx, Gremlin Graphics, Hewson and The Bitmap Brothers; and boasting titles such as California Games, Speedball 2: Brutal Deluxe, Paradroid and Impossible Mission. Most of these were rated over 90% by leading publications of the day, with many winning coveted awards. From sports to shooters, platformers to puzzlers, there’s a plethora of titles to keep the most discerning retro enthusiast happy.

“We are delighted to be able to bring back some of the most loved retro games ever, on one of the most successful formats of all time”, said Paul Andrews, Retro Games’ Managing Director.

“THEC64 mini is a reimagining of the classic C64 computer and the first in a planned series of products on the way.”

As befits a home computer you can also plug in a standard USB PC keyboard and use as a classic C64 to type in those old BASIC computer listings or program new games.

THEC64 Mini will hit the shops in early 2018 with a suggested retail price of £69.99/$69.99/€79.99.

:arrow:www.thec64.com

Mariko

Trophies
XP
Country

It's the internet. 90% of the enthusiasm for this thing is fake, anyway. For some reason, people feel they should write things like "I'm definitely getting this" even though they'll never get it, and aren't even considering it. It's as if saying you'll buy it means you're either wealthy enough to just buy any given stupid thing you don't need, or that you're a true retro gamer, supporting some dead brand that doesn't even exist. Not in any real sense, anyway.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's the internet. 90% of the enthusiasm for this thing is fake, anyway. For some reason, people feel they should write things like "I'm definitely getting this" even though they'll never get it, and aren't even considering it. It's as if saying you'll buy it means you're either wealthy enough to just buy any given stupid thing you don't need, or that you're a true retro gamer, supporting some dead brand that doesn't even exist. Not in any real sense, anyway.
It's probably because people do think it's neat, but then realize it's not $70 neat

Reactions: Subtle Demise
D

Deleted-355425

Good luck selling your emulator shitbox for £69.99, idiots. Nice pricing, too.

US - $69.99
UK - £69.99 ~ $92.85
EU - €79.99 ~ $94.04

Why would anyone want this instead of a third gen Raspberry Pi? And you need a USB keyboard for a device pretending to already have one? Ridiculous. But hey, producing useless buttons is what must have driven the production costs up. This is disgusting in so many ways. Every single one of these mini-wannabe-consoles is such a total cash grab.

If you have money to burn, spend it on the real deal. If you're in it for emulated games, get a Raspberry Pi with a case. Even with additional cable and microSD card costs, it's nowhere near that ridiculous price-tag.

I'm getting nauseous reading posts like: "Cool! I want an Atari ST one, too!" "Super cool! I want a ZX Spectrum!" "And I want a BBC Micro!" "My pop had a gazillion of these! He'd love to have an overpriced mini version pretending to be one of the computers he got rid of because he didn't care anymore!" Jesus. Please, stop.

What’s wrong with wanting cool stuff and being happy to pay for the service?

Last edited by ,
Reactions: 0100100001001001

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Good luck selling your emulator shitbox for £69.99, idiots. Nice pricing, too.

US - $69.99
UK - £69.99 ~ $92.85
EU - €79.99 ~ $94.04

US prices always exclude sales tax, EU & UK prices include VAT.

It's really annoying buying anything in a shop in the US, because you never know how much it will actually cost.

So the real US price is ~$75. Importing into the EU is more expensive that importing to the US, although Trump seems to want to increase import costs too.

Last edited by smf,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.