Hacking Can I/should I update an already softmodded wii

Alpha1actl

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Hello everyone!

I'm new not only to the forum but also to wii gaming, and as I just can't accept devices/hardware the way they are I immediately started looking for guides to tweak and hack the console, so I landed here :)

The thing is I purchased an used wii which already has a softmod and probably a hardware mod (chip mod) as well, I say probably as the seller didn't really know about it. So, that wii already has everything I read about on every guide I crossed paths with : HBC, Priiloader, etc. But...it's 4.0 and I'd like to update it as I read 4.3 is most recommended , but I pretty much imagined that it wouldn't be wise to do it through the official option on the wii menu as an upgrade would immediately detect it is soft modded and would probably brick my console.

So, is there any "unofficial" way to update the firmware? I read on CompleteSG that it's dangerous to roll back to a non "soft modded" wii, and that's likely to cause a brick so I think that is not a viable option.

And more importantly, is it really necessary for me to update the console?

Thank you very much! and sorry for making too many questions, I'm a novice in this matter.

SonicMC

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Technically there are a few routes you can take.

1 Modmii on pc to create all the wads you need to install; then install them on your wii.

or

2 Should be fine to update via regular updater then redo soft mod stuff after. I have done it both ways; I like modmii better because I feel like I don't have to install updates twice and don't like having to reinstall homebrew channel and other stuff.

Importance of doing the updates???
Certain games, features (perhaps homebrew) require different updates or versions of the wii system. So if all the games you want to play work currently. Then doing the updates are not real useful.

In other words; let's not fix something that isn't broke. If down the line you find a game that doesn't work, then perhaps time to update system os and softmod.

Reactions: heavyd2244

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you want you can just post a SysCheck report and someone can tell you what might need updating. :)

Updating a modded Wii through official channels is fine in most cases. It all depends on what's installed already.

Reactions: Dontwait00

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, maybe we should start with the standard. Can you post a SysCheck report? One of us should be able to tell if there's something that could cause a problem with an official update.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
That's why I said "it depends." If it is something like a Korean Wii that has been region-changed a normal update will brick it.
Not if that wii was region changed by modmii!

Your point is still a valid one, I'm just saying though, if ModMii were to have ever been involved in this wii's history it's "extra brick protection" would save region changed Korean wii's during office updates, or even protect an lu64+ wii from downgrading to a lower system menu, etc. :)

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not if that wii was region changed by modmii!

Your point is still a valid one, I'm just saying though, if ModMii were to have ever been involved in this wii's history it's "extra brick protection" would save region changed Korean wii's during office updates, or even protect an lu64+ wii from downgrading to a lower system menu, etc. :)

You should rewrite it using .NET Core or something like that that runs on all platforms. :)

Alpha1actl

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Hey guys!!

Thank you all so much for all the tips!! Really! :) I do appreciate it, I didn't think I'd find so much support after all the years that passed on since Wii's first appearance.

@GreyWolf , I will do as you say and post a Syscheck. So far so good, All the apps needed for a softmod and brick protection are already installed in my Wii...and now that you mention it, the box is written in Korean, so I think I will opt to be extra careful and not just go and update it the official way.

@SonicMC , I also agree with you when you said "Lets not fix something that isn't broke"...happened to me before, that's why I'm asking you guys how to do it properly :P

There were several times when I thought " okay I will go and do this and that" the moment later, I read that it was just the thing NOT to do haha =P

I will go take a pic of the sys check as ...print screen pretty much won't work here right? :ha:

Thanks again guys!

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys!!

Thank you all so much for all the tips!! Really! :) I do appreciate it, I didn't think I'd find so much support after all the years that passed on since Wii's first appearance.

@GreyWolf , I will do as you say and post a Syscheck. So far so good, All the apps needed for a softmod and brick protection are already installed in my Wii...and now that you mention it, the box is written in Korean, so I think I will opt to be extra careful and not just go and update it the official way.

@SonicMC , I also agree with you when you said "Lets not fix something that isn't broke"...happened to me before, that's why I'm asking you guys how to do it properly :P

There were several times when I thought " okay I will go and do this and that" the moment later, I read that it was just the thing NOT to do haha =P

I will go take a pic of the sys check as ...print screen pretty much won't work here right? :ha:

Thanks again guys!

I don't think SysCheck has a screengrab function but it should write a filed called "syscheck.csv" to the SD card when it's done. It's really just a text file.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/9kE3Env_2AY?si=Bs6lUZ0ZIlqmYaGT