Hacking Homebrew Can UMDGen Make Games Smaller?

sekhu

moo?
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'm jus trying to understand the tool. It lets you add/remove elements from within a game. But is the isos I'm getting from BC, for example, complete isos that are as small as can possibly be but stil being working/compatible.

For example I grabbed daxter at 411mb, it ran but trying to start a level it would just go black screen and I couldn't get further, I don't have a memory stick large enough for the 1.5gb iso so I can't compare. I got the larger iso AFTER tgrabbing the small one.

So are there safe things to remove from games, or should I really just not tinker with it and just leave the isos as they are? Laso does UMDGen convert CSO to ISO?

Cheers in advance

myuusmeow

Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
You can usually remove the Update folder and padding (I've only done the former, but I've heard of people removing padding).

You can relink movies in UMDGen, just set the smallest one as master (Right click) then relink the rest with the same extension to that. (I say same extension because videos and music come in different formats) This should work.

I don't think UMDGen can convert ISOs to CSOs. I use PSP ISO Shrinker.

sekhu

moo?
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well I downloaded the latest version and managed to convert a cso to iso without problem, though it added about 200 or so mbs to the cso image.

i saw the update folder, bt didn't remove it, how would you go about removing the padding by steps, and how would you go about relinking movies or knowing which ones to remove. I can't tell what's a movie or what isn't.

Sorry about the noobishness

pika3000

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
What I did to get it to fit on my 1gb stick I delete every language but english (movies and audio), removed the padding and then made it into a .cso using psp iso compresser v1.4 which brought it down to 800 - 850 MB, to remake your file into an .iso using UMDGen just click on the save button and it will let you choose either .cso, .iso or .dax (not sure what that extension does).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: will @SylverReZ scalp Switch 2s? :)