Homebrew Can you force old 3DS to play new 3DS games? (Minecraft)

ALT703

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Regardless of framerate, limited controls, and other factors like that, is it possible, through some cfw exploit, cia application, to run minecraft on my old 3ds? This is purely for fun, i dont care if it runs well or barely at all. I know it wont work well. I know the controls wont work perfectly. Yes i have a new 3ds i can play it on, but i want to run it on my old 3ds just for fun.

Is this possible? Thanks!!

BvanBart

Gaming addict #2 and some
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
You can force install it... and you can edit the system files to skip memory/ hardware checks... but eventually the game writes to memory that is not allocated nor there... then it will probably hang. Can’t confirm because I have not tried this...

TheUltimaXtreme

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Memory is the key thing. Minecraft _can_ run at the clock speed of the o3DS on a N3DS (it will be terribly slow), but it's still using 4 cores instead of 2, and it is still using the full RAM of the N3DS. There is no way around this.

Reactions: yuyuyup

daemonspudguy

Garbage purveyor with a Japanese N3DS, they/them.
Trophies
Website
jacobatice.com
XP
Country
United States
You can force install it... and you can edit the system files to skip memory/ hardware checks... but eventually the game writes to memory that is not allocated nor there... then it will probably hang. Can’t confirm because I have not tried this...
That's assuming you could even get the old 3DS firmware to let you install something for a later revision. The New 3DS is technically a different system with different drivers for the different hardware, and I feel like Ninty would make new 3DS exclusive software not installable on the old 3DS. They know what they're doing by this point. Minecraft barely runs on a New 3ds to begin with.

ALT703

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's assuming you could even get the old 3DS firmware to let you install something for a later revision. The New 3DS is technically a different system with different drivers for the different hardware, and I feel like Ninty would make new 3DS exclusive software not installable on the old 3DS. They know what they're doing by this point. Minecraft barely runs on a New 3ds to begin with.
I already installed the minecraft .cia file with FBI. It installs fine. But the system recognizes it as a "new" game and tells me im on the wrong system. The exact same error message as if i had use a cartridge. So you are incorrect. It installs, but doesnt launch the game. I was just hoping i could bypass a hardware check and make it run (no matter how terribly)

daemonspudguy

Garbage purveyor with a Japanese N3DS, they/them.
Trophies
Website
jacobatice.com
XP
Country
United States
I already installed the minecraft .cia file with FBI. It installs fine. But the system recognizes it as a "new" game and tells me im on the wrong system. The exact same error message as if i had use a cartridge. So you are incorrect. It installs, but doesnt launch the game. I was just hoping i could bypass a hardware check and make it run (no matter how terribly)
If the system recognizes it shouldn't run, then the installation still technically failed, meaning I'm still correct.

Momoro

The Dark One
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the system recognizes it shouldn't run, then the installation still technically failed, meaning I'm still correct.

I installed it, then attempted to launch it.. It stayed on a black screen for about two minutes, then gave me an error stating I was one the wrong system. So yes, you are correct.

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
If I remember correctly, @zoogie made a script that can convert new3ds exclusives to make them "run" on o3ds, but not all of them (I think the only game that "worked" on o3ds using that script was The Binding of Isaac).
That was never really a big deal. Although BOI actually booted to the title screen on old3ds, it would crash the moment gameplay started. New3ds games that did work well were just crappy and simplistic Unity games like Brick Race, nothing you'd want to play.

In short, memory exhaustion will prevent any decent looking new3ds game from running on old3ds. The script was just a POC that it could sometimes work.

Last edited by zoogie,

VictorMoreno015

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Minecraft running on the performance of the original 3DS just gives it graphical glitches and it runs at about 8fps
Its not worth doing. Just play on a old android phone

Reactions: Momoro

ALT703

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That was never really a big deal. Although BOI actually booted to the title screen on old3ds, it would crash the moment gameplay started. New3ds games that did work well were just crappy and simplistic Unity games like Brick Race, nothing you'd want to play.

In short, memory exhaustion will prevent any decent looking new3ds game from running on old3ds. The script was just a POC that it could sometimes work.
Even if the script just allowed me to at least launch the Minecraft home screen it would be worth it

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
Even if the script just allowed me to at least launch the Minecraft home screen it would be worth it
I'm sorry to tell you this but Minecraft actually boots in-engine at the title screen so the old3ds crashes immediately. I've tested it.

Reactions: Thistles

but

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Wait, there's a script for it????
How do I use it?
How do I get it?
(I have luma3ds and homebrew things so yeah, just pls maybe link the script)

Reactions: Moon164

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 2 of them :angry:😡 :angry: !