Hardware Can you parental-lock individual apps/folders?

Reaga

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Context: Parents got my son a 2DS. I'm trying to get it ready to play the moment he opens it, and will likely be installing B9S/Luma on it for further customization options and a few classic VCs not found on eShop. But I don't want him touching anything that could brick the system if done wrong, such as FBI. So I'm wondering if I can lock access to individual things on the Home Menu, either through Nintendo-approved methods or otherwise

fmkid

Just another GBATemp's random guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
There's no official way for that, and afaik, also there's no unofficial one (homebrew or another piece of software).

If you wil, you can use the HBL through Rosalina, but hidden on any 3DS app, and only use .3dsx homebrew type with that (not cias).

However, wait for more suggestions

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
There is not much you can do. I'm not for solving sociological or educational problems with technical solutions.
  1. Keep a NAND image and copy of the SD contents in a secure location for recovery after worst case scenario.
  2. Backup saves from time to time with Checkpoint and/or JKSM and keep them in a secure location as well → Kids can get really angry on loss of save data…
  3. Have no payloads in SD:/luma/payloads (GodMode9 can really wreak havoc if someone does nonsense)
  4. Have no homebrew software accessible from Home Menu (like @fmkid said)
    • If you're paranoid don't have boot.3dsx on SD either so Rosalina injection will only cause ont-time ARM11 crash on trying to load HB Launcher
    • If the boy is able to put files on the SD and read how to do things like Rosalina injection, he should be able to understand not to play around with FBI, GodMode9… If he's too young to do this on his own, above measurements should suffice.
I've never voluntarily used parental controls (forced¹ when NNID connected for user younger than 13 years). It might be able to block homebrew on age basis. I doubt homebrew CIAs report any age rating so the OS will default to 18/adult and ask for the pin. But I guess this will also be the case with custom Virtual Console (both might be wrong, try it out; I've never done it; on Wii U parental controls ask for the Pin in vWii for starting HB Channel because of missing age rating).

Good luck and have fun!

Reactions: defunct32 and fmkid

Reaga

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks guys. I'll keep this in mind. He doesn't open it til Xmas so I'll have time to test those default ratings and remove everything. NAND dump already exists, made it during the Plailect guide.

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

defunct32

Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
If you Parental Control w/ 4-digit PIN code in Settings, FBI will be locked.

Attachments

• 20201221_085420.jpg
    20201221_085420.jpg
    936.7 KB · Views: 191

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Is funny, every week he cries and says that it, I'm leaving this site.