Cancelled Prince of Persia concept gameplay is rediscovered after being on YouTube for 8 years

At one point, we almost got a new Prince of Persia game, which may shock series fans who have been waiting years to see a another entry in the Prince of Persia saga. In 2012, a YouTube video had gone live, showing what was to be Prince of Persia: Redemption, the latest game in the franchise. It apparently sat, unseen for years, until this week, where fans discovered it and began sharing the cinematic gameplay trailer that no one had discussed. Apparently, it had been a pitch to Ubisoft in the form of a pre-rendered trailer to showcase what the game could look like. However, the company decided not to pick up on the concept, as we can tell by the fact that the game never reached completion or released.

A former Ubisoft developer, Christopher Prelot, claims that they had worked as a level designer for a cancelled Prince of Persia game during the years of 2010 and 2011, meaning they likely worked on this trailer. Another Ubisoft employee, still with the company--Jonathon Cooper--said that this was created by some of the current For Honor team, and would eventually go on to inspire Ubisoft's team behind Assassin's Creed III. He also stated the following about the franchise in general:

Sadly Ubisoft are generally quicker to cancel Prince of Persia games than others IPs because AFAIK original creator Jordan Mechner still holds license rights so the profit margins are lower. Would love to see a new one though. I've always wanted a PoP set in contemporary Iran.

If you check the YouTube video itself, you can also see a comment dated 2 years ago, from Marc-Andre Belleau, Ubisoft Montreal's technical designer, who incredulously asked, "where did you get that?!" in regards to the footage.

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I've always seen Assassin's Creed as a spiritual sequel to the 3D Prince of Persia series. Not sure if it's exactly the same inhouse studio/teams from Ubisoft developing it, but there are way too many similarities gameplaywise.

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
For a moment there I had my hopes up for being a sneak peak of a PoP 2008 sequel. This was clearly trying to cash in again on the Sands of Time series. Wich surprises me as The Forgotten Prince was such a let down.

2Hack

HYPiavelli
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
Canada
Man, Prince of Persia is one of those games that was amazing but just needed this generation of hardware IMO. I love the games, love the concept, and hey, not many characters I can relate to ethnically so it's nice to get some kind of representation. There's also so much lore they could tap into. Just imagining it as a God of War type of open-world with tons to see and do would be amazing. I know Assasins creed took over but it never managed to keep me as interested as something like Prince of Persia. I always struggled to stay immersed because of the way they structured it as a memory bank of some dude.

Reactions: SuperDan and Kioku

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
as much as I want a new pop, this looks like hot garbage.
>scripted parkour
>the prince looks very generic
>it seems like you have to waste sand of time to even be able to get through some parkour sequences because there is no way to tell when you have to move unless you already saw what happens
>seems like they are focusing too much in the combat
tbh I'm glad this was canceled.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Not really. It's pre-rendered.
...and? Even pre-rendered it gave us a pretty realistic look into what they wanted to provide. Even by 2012 standards, this looks just as good (or bad if you're that pessimistic) as games from that year.

Reactions: 2Hack

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Sick trailer. Tbh this came out at a time where I didn't care for new entries to the series although the old two DOS games were my favorite games back in the days.
However I do care now and would enjoy such a game.
Jordan Mechner was the hero of my childhood for creating PoP so he's goddamn deserving those freakin' license fees!

Reactions: 2Hack

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Hey hey!