Homebrew Can't access games (not sure why?)

smile72

NewsBot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Well, I';m sorry for bothering you guys but I have just hooked back up my Wii U (I haven't used it recently (since 2017)) and I have quite a few folders (where games used to be, I assume) but no trace of the Homebrew Channel or anything. I only see CFW Mocha and I opened it (it's version 0.2 so I'm pretty sure it's suppppper old) and after opening and pressing A it returns to the main menu. Still no games. Check my SD card. Seems I did activate Haxchi(I guess). But the game that I bought (Animal Crossing: Wild World) is nowhere to be found. I'm trying to see if I can redownload it from the e-Shop. Honestly what should I do guys? I've been out of the scene for a veeeeeerrry loooooong time. So I'm sorry if I sound stupid. I appreciate any help guys.

KyleHyde

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Did you have any other game besides Animal Crossing: Wild World on your system? How are you running Haxchi? (ie. via DS VC Inject or the internet browser)
Were the games you're missing saved to the internal hdd or an external hdd/usb that you have (or had) plugged into the system before? If it's the latter, they won't show up on your home menu until you plug back in the device you installed them to (assuming you haven't deleted them from said device or reformatted it since then). Did you always run your games from the home menu or did you also happen to use Loadiine? (aka an old backup launcher that could only run games from your sd card, resulting in slower loading times)

I don't own a Wii U anymore, so I'm just going off what I can recall.

Reactions: smile72

smile72

NewsBot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
To my knowledge I didn't. If I remember right, I ran Haxchi through DS VC inject. But it's not on the menu at all. Hmmm, I guess... I'm not sure actually. I'll ask my husband when he wakes up. He deals with hdds in our house. But I'm guessing external? I assume I did home menu as I used to do loadline and the loading process was so slow...... But I should have mentioned this when I loaded up CFW Mocha. It had an option where if you pushed the home button it would take you to the Homebrew Channel. It just black screened. But I could hear the music of the Homebrew Channel. And when I pushed home button again it just took me to Mii Studio. Again I'm sorry for this stupid question.

KyleHyde

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Sounds like that might be the case then. Hopefully he'll know what to do and don't worry, it's not a stupid question at all.

smile72

NewsBot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sounds like that might be the case then. Hopefully he'll know what to do and don't worry, it's not a stupid question at all.
Thanks, I appreciate it! Yeah, I hope he knows which HDD it could be. Well, I hope it wasn't formatted or deleted....because then I'm not sure where to start:cry:, Thank you so much for your help!

smile72

NewsBot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
UPDATE: My husband gave me the HDD and the games did show up. EXCEPT the game that I used to do haxchi (Animal Crossing: Wild World) so what should I do now? Again sorry for bothering everyone. Should I re-do Haxchi from step one?

Reactions: KyleHyde

KyleHyde

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
UPDATE: My husband gave me the HDD and the games did show up. EXCEPT the game that I used to do haxchi (Animal Crossing: Wild World) so what should I do now? Again sorry for bothering everyone. Should I re-do Haxchi from step one?
That's good to hear! Sorry about the haxchi game not showing up though. If you can't find Animal Crossing/the Haxchi hidden somewhere on the home menu (ie. in a corner, far off page, or in a folder) you'll have to do it from step one. Before we go on with that, make sure to check if you can find the game in the USB/HDD section of System Settings.

smile72

NewsBot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
That's good to hear! Sorry about the haxchi game not showing up though. If you can't find Animal Crossing/the Haxchi hidden somewhere on the home menu (ie. in a corner, far off page, or in a folder) you'll have to do it from step one. Before we go on with that, make sure to check if you can find the game in the USB/HDD section of System Settings.
Just checked. I sadly found nothing...ok so step one it is. And I found out by doing that...that my system updated to 5.5.3....I hope that does not cause a problem. Gonna check right now. Again thanks for all the help.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

YET ANOTHER UPDATE: Tried to re-download the game from the Wii U e-shop....it won't let me. It seems to think the game is on my device. HOWEVER I can't find it in the Settings....what should I do?

KyleHyde

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Just checked. I sadly found nothing...ok so step one it is. And I found out by doing that...that my system updated to 5.5.3....I hope that does not cause a problem. Gonna check right now. Again thanks for all the help.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

YET ANOTHER UPDATE: Tried to re-download the game from the Wii U e-shop....it won't let me. It seems to think the game is on my device. HOWEVER I can't find it in the Settings....what should I do?
That's odd, I can't recall the Wii U ever forcing me to update just for accessing the System Settings menu.
I take it there's no mention of Haxchi anywhere either? Cuz I recall that you could apply a banner to the DS VC you're injecting Haxchi into so it would have both the icon and name of it instead of what it's originally supposed to be. If it still doesn't show up, you might have to ask your husband if he can recall where he had installed it to (in case there was ever another usb or hdd that was also used with your Wii U system).

smile72

NewsBot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
That's odd, I can't recall the Wii U ever forcing me to update just for accessing the System Settings menu.
I take it there's no mention of Haxchi anywhere either? Cuz I recall that you could apply a banner to the DS VC you're injecting Haxchi into so it would have both the icon and name of it instead of what it's originally supposed to be. If it still doesn't show up, you might have to ask your husband if he can recall where he had installed it to (in case there was ever another usb or hdd that was also used with your Wii U system).
Wii U just randomly updated...I never noticed it. And I can't find Haxchi anywhere opened and closed every single item. No trace of it. My husband never installed anything on the Wii U so he won't be much help in this case. He just dealt with the HDD. I honestly have no idea what to do. We only used one SD card (32 gb) (still inside of it) and this HDD.

KyleHyde

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Wii U just randomly updated...I never noticed it. And I can't find Haxchi anywhere opened and closed every single item. No trace of it. My husband never installed anything on the Wii U so he won't be much help in this case. He just dealt with the HDD. I honestly have no idea what to do. We only used one SD card (32 gb) (still inside of it) and this HDD.
Perhaps the update had been downloading in the background at some point. I read that Haxchi should still work on 5.5.3, so that's a relief.
The Wii U doesn't allow you to download games from the eShop to an SD card, only to the Internal Storage and External HDD/USB devices plugged into it. If it's not in either those, then I'm not really sure what to do. Could you make a list of what are the apps and games that you're currently able to see/access at the moment?

smile72

NewsBot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Perhaps the update had been downloading in the background at some point. I read that Haxchi should still work on 5.5.3, so that's a relief.
The Wii U doesn't allow you to download games from the eShop to an SD card, only to the Internal Storage and External HDD/USB devices plugged into it. If it's not in either those, then I'm not really sure what to do. Could you make a list of what are the apps and games that you're currently able to see/access at the moment?
Well, all I see is the disk icon. Next is Mii Studio, Then Settings, next is Wii U Chat. Followed by Wii Menu. Followed by Daily Journal/Record/Log (毎日のきろく). Sorry, my Wii U is Japanese. Next I see CFW Mocha. But when I access it I just get a black screen with a -3. Then next is the folder for my GBA games, then next is folder for DS games. After that folder for NES games. Then I made a folder for Wii U games that were not yet playable. Then I made a folder for Wii U games that were playable. Then a folder for Wii games. Then a folder for Nintendo 64 games. Then a folder for SNES games...Next page. Then I have a JP VC folder. Followed by Homebrew Launcher. However if I try to access it it gives me an error of 199-9999. And I have to shut down the console. Next is Health and Safety Information and lastly Parental Controls. I hope this helps.

Last edited by smile72,

KyleHyde

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Hmmm, so it's not in the DS folder then?
I think I used to get that -3 error sometimes when my SD card was having trouble being read (mine was rather old) whenever I used haxchi or the homebrew launcher via Loadiine's website. Pretty sure the same thing would also occur if you tried to run those without having an SD card inserted.

Is there an icon of a triangle with a black exclamation mark (with "DON'T TOUCH ME" text displayed when you go over it) somewhere? It seems that when people install cbh (Coldboot Haxchi: a version of Haxchi that automatically runs when the system is powered on), the DS game Haxchi is installed into turns into that.

smile72

NewsBot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hmmm, so it's not in the DS folder then?
I think I used to get that -3 error sometimes when my SD card was having trouble being read (mine was rather old) whenever I used haxchi or the homebrew launcher via Loadiine's website. Pretty sure the same thing would also occur if you tried to run those without having an SD card inserted.

Is there an icon of a triangle with a black exclamation mark (with "DON'T TOUCH ME" text displayed when you go over it) somewhere? It seems that when people install cbh (Coldboot Haxchi: a version of Haxchi that automatically runs when the system is powered on), the DS game Haxchi is installed into turns into that.
Nope, I even checked all the games in the folder I get the same error basically telling to change the Nintendo ID to the one I "bought" the game from.

And I should mention this about CFW Mocha it didn't show -3 before...only since I plugged in the external hdd before it would go to its normal menu. But since I attached the external hdd it only blackscreens with -3.

I do have that icon however it's for Health and Safety Information....but it doesn't say Don't touch me. I don't think I did coldboot....honestly too scary for me. Plus mine is not in cfw right now. Hence why I can't access the games. And I should mention about CFW Mocha it didn't show -3 before...only since I plugged in the external hdd before it would go to its normal menu. But since I attached the external hdd it only blackscreens with -3.

KyleHyde

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
I feel like I might have read about a similar case earlier today, but I can't quite recall. There's only 1 account on your system, right? It's weird that it's now asking you to log into the Nintendo ID that you used to purchase it when it let you visit the eshop earlier and told you that it was already installed.

Hmmm, I have no idea why it would do that only when the external hdd is connected.

Yeah, the Health and Safety Information icon is also the same symbol, but it's a yellow triangle instead and unrelated to the coldboot haxchi icon. I suppose we can rule that one out then.

If we can't find out how to solve this, I suppose you could just reinstall Haxchi on another compatible DS VC game (if you happen to have another that fits that criteria).

smile72

NewsBot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I feel like I might have read about a similar case earlier today, but I can't quite recall. There's only 1 account on your system, right? It's weird that it's now asking you to log into the Nintendo ID that you used to purchase it when it let you visit the eshop earlier and told you that it was already installed.

Hmmm, I have no idea why it would do that only when the external hdd is connected.

Yeah, the Health and Safety Information icon is also the same symbol, but it's a yellow triangle instead and unrelated to the coldboot haxchi icon. I suppose we can rule that one out then.

If we can't find out how to solve this, I suppose you could just reinstall Haxchi on another compatible DS VC game (if you happen to have another that fits that criteria).
No, there's two. Oh, no it's not. It's unrelated I suppose (I mean about them asking me to log in to the other account). Oh, well I guess there isn't any other choice. I'll have to re-do Haxchi....the only problem is I have no way to even access the Homebrew Launcher at the moment. So what should I do about that? Sorry for bothering you with all this....

KyleHyde

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
No, there's two. Oh, no it's not. It's unrelated I suppose (I mean about them asking me to log in to the other account). Oh, well I guess there isn't any other choice. I'll have to re-do Haxchi....the only problem is I have no way to even access the Homebrew Launcher at the moment. So what should I do about that? Sorry for bothering you with all this....
You should still be able to access the Homebrew Launcher via the internet browser by going to this website on your Wii U.
If you need a step-by-step guide, just follow the one available here.

Last edited by KyleHyde,

smile72

NewsBot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Reactions: KyleHyde

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you solve it? If not if you really cannot find Haxchi which was used with Animal Crossing and you're unable to re-download Animal Crossing you might have to buy another DS game to use as Haxchi. Brain Age is the cheapest ds game or at least it used to be it was $7 when I bought it.

smile72

NewsBot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Did you solve it? If not if you really cannot find Haxchi which was used with Animal Crossing and you're unable to re-download Animal Crossing you might have to buy another DS game to use as Haxchi. Brain Age is the cheapest ds game or at least it used to be it was $7 when I bought it.
Yeah I decided to do that....Japanese DS games were about 960 I think. Can't be helped.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Well maybe lol