Capcom hit by ransomware attack

img_logo.jpg
Earlier this week, we reported on hacking events on video game companies Crytek and Ubisoft, with the source code of Watch Dogs: Legion even getting leaked. Now another company, Capcom, has been victim of a similar attack from a different group. The company issued a statement that on November 2nd, third parties gained access to "certain systems, including email and file servers" and added that "there is no indication that any customer information was breached".

Below you can read Capcom's official statement:

Beginning in the early morning hours of November 2, 2020 some of the Capcom Group networks experienced issues that affected access to certain systems, including email and file servers. The company has confirmed that this was due to unauthorized access carried out by a third party, and that it has halted some operations of its internal networks as of November 2. Capcom expressed its deepest regret for any inconvenience this may cause to its various stakeholders. Further, it stated that at present there is no indication that any customer information was breached. This incident has not affected connections for playing the company's games online or access to its various websites.

Presently, Capcom is consulting with the police as well as other related authorities while both carrying out an investigation and taking measures to restore its systems. The company will continue to offer relevant updates as the facts become clear, via its websites and other means.

A report from Bleeping Computer identifies as the cyberattack as being a Ragnar Locker ransomware, with 1TB of sensitive data stolen from Capcom's corporate networks. According to the report, the cyberattack group left the following ransom note and are demanding $11,000,000 in bitcoins.

We have BREACHED your security perimeter and get access to every server of company's Network in different offices located in Japan, USA, Canada.
So we has DOWNLOADED more than 1TB total volume of your PRIVATE SENSITIVE Data, including:
-Accounting files, Banking Statements, Budget and Revenue files classified as Confidential, Tax Documents
-Intellectual Property, Proprietary Business information, Clients and Employees Personal information (Such as Passports and Visa), Incidents Acts
-Corporate Agreements and Contracts, Non-Disclosure Agreements, Confidential Agreements, Sales Summaries
-Also we have your Private Corporate Correspondence, Emails and Messanger Conversations, Marketing presentations, Audit reports and a lot of other Sensitive Information

If NO Deal made than all your Data will be Published and/or Sold through an auction to any third-parties

:arrow: SOURCE

Fusion

On/Off GBA-Temp'er
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
Why do tech-savvy Hakaz always have issues with grammar and spelling?

I mean, "So we has downloaded", "if you reading this message", "contact information you will find at the bottom of this notes", "no contact made in closest time", "within 2 day since", etc.

Can't they even English properly? Seriously undermines their credibility...

You do know that not everyone comes from a country that has English as their first language. It might be his/her second or third language, so for what they know it's very good, who cares if it's perfect or not as it's understandable. But i guess someone that has no culture and no other language, thinks everyone else is the same and just point fingers at the different people, that is the mindset behind a closed off brain from an "idiot" in Australia.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Curious that the capcom defence (or should that be defense to through off the linguistic analysis) force is out in... force.
Did they finally round up the megaman legends 3 was unfairly done over crowd and execute them?

HideoKojima

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I mean, "So we has downloaded", "if you reading this message", "contact information you will find at the bottom of this notes", "no contact made in closest time", "within 2 day since", etc.

Intentionally make mistakes, blame it on the russians

console

Elvira fans ❤ :-) I'm rocking Windows 7 for 10 yrs
Trophies
Website
www.startpage.com
XP
Country
United States
Wow! That's very sad news!

I don't know why most business don't install Kaspersky Anti-Ransomware Tool for free on all computers. I think they forget it.

Just install Kaspersky Anti-Ransomware Tool on all computers with Windows then don't worry about future attack anymore. This program will stop all know ransomware types.

depaul

Trophies
XP
Country
France
In general those hacks happen because of vulnerabilities related to operating system or browser. Kaspersky is good enough but no system is 100% perfect (like exploits discovered on PS3/PS4/ nintendo switch...)

In business they do daily backups of everything for a duration that can go up to 6 months (I heard this is mandatory because of security norms). So in the worst case capcom can easily retrieve old versions of its documents from days earlier. But if hackers leak sensitive data to the web that's the big issue.

Last edited by depaul,

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, my God! I just bought the Mega Man Legacy games on my Nintendo Switch late last month, and now this happens? I guess now we really need Mega Man to wipe out the cyber-criminals!

So, why attack Capcom? Is this just some stupid kid who does this just to get money, or is there something more to this...?

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Capcom didn't deserve this. Now, if it was EA on the other hand... I wouldn't mind seeing their shit go up in flames. I don't support this kind of activity but... You know. "Decryption DLC for $11,000,000"
nah they kinda did
remember RE sav's for 3DS

medoli900

Open the Benzenes;Gate
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The biggest part here is that, if they tell the truth, they have passport and visa info of employees. That's the lowest that they could go. I hope the scums that used this ransomware will find his life in jail to be worst than hell.

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States

They're usually Russian. Just be glad it's this legible. The Indonesian spam groups are probably the worst I've come across.

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Nice double standards here. Ubisoft being hacked thread is a shitshow, everyone gloating about what happened. Capcom thread is the complete opposite.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Nice double standards here. Ubisoft being hacked thread is a shitshow, everyone gloating about what happened. Capcom thread is the complete opposite.
Yep, two cases, two standards, as it should be when emotions weigh in.
This is not a courtroom.

MBa2595.png

Last edited by sarkwalvein,
Reactions: HideoKojima

MetoMeto

Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Again, i don't understand why are those important files on a PC let alone on a PC with internet access.
I miss the old days when you had to phisically enter the building to steal things...i mean it's still that time just people are stupid enough these days to put so much trust in computers and cloud shit.

HideoKojima

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Again, i don't understand why are those important files on a PC let alone on a PC with internet access.
I miss the old days when you had to phisically enter the building to steal things...i mean it's still that time just people are stupid enough these days to put so much trust in computers and cloud shit.
It's coz u need to backup ur stuff and have instant access to it when needed

MetoMeto

Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
It's coz u need to backup ur stuff and have instant access to it when needed
you can backup locally and access it in place called "data center". I dont see the need for online storage anyway. its giberish imo.
This whole world will be (and already is) online which is bullshit.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: it looks like a little kids' game, and bunny (welcome btw) is looking for an uncensor patch