Gaming Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker - Anyone pre-ordering it here?

MarioFanatic64

The guy who does things
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
So, yeah. After playing this, I'm certain this'll actually be the closest thing to a 3D Mario that isn't just a 2D Mario clone this generation.

Graphics are nice, but the cubic nature of the levels means is an empty void instead of nice scenery, which I continue to dislike with this generation's Mario games. Music is mostly 3D World covers, but it's decent and more than I expected for a puzzle game. Gameplay is fun. For the first time in a long time I'm not just playing through the levels passively. But once again for the Mario series, it falls into the rut of recycling content.

For the first time I feel like Nintendo have acknowledged that people like Single Player Mario games. Having friends is overrated.

WiiCube_2013

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
So, yeah. After playing this, I'm certain this'll actually be the closest thing to a 3D Mario that isn't just a 2D Mario clone this generation.

Graphics are nice, but the cubic nature of the levels means is an empty void instead of nice scenery, which I continue to dislike with this generation's Mario games. Music is mostly 3D World covers, but it's decent and more than I expected for a puzzle game. Gameplay is fun. For the first time in a long time I'm not just playing through the levels passively. But once again for the Mario series, it falls into the rut of recycling content.

For the first time I feel like Nintendo have acknowledged that people like Single Player Mario games. Having friends is overrated.

Those special stages where Toad is in 3D perspective look absolutely gorgeous and breathtaking, too bad you can't do shit on them besides walking.

zlCfzS1FqyghCUeLcG

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Those special stages where Toad is in 3D perspective look absolutely gorgeous and breathtaking, too bad you can't do shit on them besides walking.
Yeah, I was expecting we'd be able to mine for gold or something. :D

It's clear Nintendo didn't put much time into making this game. They took the engine out of SM3DW, expanded on the work that was already done for the Captain Toad levels and just made more levels. The story is very thin, there's very little to do, replay value is low, but in the end it's a fun minigame. I'm just not sure if this is a $40 game. It feels more like a $20 eShop game to me. That's just my opinion though.

I was sort of happy that after completing a book you can go back and speedrun the levels to reach the target time, but because the levels are so quick, you need about 10 minutes to speedrun all levels in a book (or episode). So the little extra for replay value that Nintendo added lasts only a very short time. You also don't get a crown for grinding 1-ups. You can get 99 lives and that's the maximum. If you want to try, I found the best place to grind is in book 2, level 8. (The spooky house.) When you start the level with Toadette, turn around and walk to the back, there's a Toad standing who'll hand out a 1-up mushroom. Once you have that, leave the level. The 1-up you got is still counted for. Restart the level as many times as needed to get to 99 lives. That's the fastest way AFAIK. I was expecting a crown like in SM3DW, but it just stops at 99. :(

Disclaimer: I know that my ways of 100%'ing games go to the extremes, but that's just how I enjoy playing games.

Reactions: WiiCube_2013

WiiCube_2013

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Ya know, I'm on that level of the tubes with Toadette but now it's starting to feel quite boring and repetitive, still I'll get it all done just to explore all stages that they made for this game.

The UK eShop is selling it for £34.99 even though it's not worth so much (but physical copies aren't going for much lower either).

BobPwnz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Took a risk and picked up the game today. Very fun right now but I feel like there isn't much replay value.

WiiCube_2013

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Nintendo's so fucking cheap and lazy, they literally made the same stage just slightly different for Toadette.

Toad:
zlCfzS1FqyghCUeLcG

Toadette:
zlCfzS2KnAEB9JVG28

In the end she has the same exact animation as Toad.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Nintendo's so fucking cheap and lazy, they literally made the same stage just slightly different for Toadette.

In the end she has the same exact animation as Toad.
You should've seen that coming after starting the second book when it was Toad getting captured by the same bird that captured Toadette in the beginning of the game...

:)
:)

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I played through the game before you and just didn't want to ruin it for you so I kept mostly quiet. :) But seeing you like this, WiiCube_2013, you're probably the most naïve Nintendo believer whom I know. :D Take that as a compliment.

WiiCube_2013

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
None taken.

I just have a soft spot for Nintendo and try to look for the best in them.

Nintendo fanboys on YouTube try to defend Kirby Rainbow Curse by saying "graphics don't matter", "it's fun right? so who cares" or "and what does it matter if it just has 28 stages? as long as they're fun it's what counts" just trying to reuse the same quotes from years ago forgetting that the Wii U is an HD console and people would expect to play the fucking game in HD. Or that the game would be longer than only 28 stages, hell, Cptn. Toad is longer and yet doesn't feel very long either.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I honestly have no idea how the new Kirby is going to turn out. Maybe I'm 100% wrong about it and critics will love it, or maybe it'll be a stupid experiment Nintendo should've best left for the 3DS. Captain Toad definitely isn't a long game.

BTW, I have a soft spot for Nintendo too and I only wish them the best in the end, but I never have a soft spot for blind fanboys who bat an eye at every possible corner and praise Nintendo no matter what. I can both enjoy a product and express what I don't like about it, and I feel lately there's been a lot of that when it comes to Nintendo. Simple stuff like the GameCube controller adapter working with just 1 game. It makes me frustrated, but Nintendo fanboys write it off saying I should be thankful they let me play with my GameCube controller in Smash Bros. in the first place. :D It's ridiculous. I don't think you're that kind of a guy, you're very cool.

Reactions: WiiCube_2013

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I ordered it from glyde a few days ago at a little discount. Might be more my speed, I can't play 3d world with my boys, I just end up trying to keep up with them. :)

I can't paste with the iPad but over on page 1064 mech has a link to a image of a supposed N memo for the 1/27 Direct. Shows a DLC pack for CTTT. Could easily be BS, but it would be nice.

I also noticed I cant find Wii Sports Club anywhere except for inflated prices online. But eshop has it "free" and $9.99 for DLC of each individual sport. My boys always liked the bowling and tennis. Never saw the errant hand issue someone mentioned thank God. :)

EDIT: bad post. The images is over on the 1000 page gateway hype train thread.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I can't paste with the iPad but over on page 1064 mech has a link to a image of a supposed N memo for the 1/27 Direct. Shows a DLC pack for CTTT. Could easily be BS, but it would be nice.
Fake.

Congrats on getting the game, I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
I'm getting the game (Some day) in the future!

Let's say after half a year :), i'm still playing my other Wii-U games and haven't finnished them, i like to finnish my game before getting a new one and not having 5 games still waiting to play or playing at the same time.
So i guess in 6 months i have finnished the ones i have :), then it's time to get me a new Wii-U game!

WiiCube_2013

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
I've finished the three episodes (or Books, as they're referred to in US) so now all that remains are the Bonus chapters. Reason I only took this long was because I didn't want to finish the game too quickly. :P

Screenshots with potential spoilers:

zlCfzS2unUAhlHa63o

This reminded me of "Wreck It Ralph" and Donkey Kong Vs. Mario of NES (as well as the other Jumping Man game).

zlCfzS27DxUoNZXTzy

Straight from Captain Toad's game. :P

zlCfzS27J78krq-uc0

Very pixelated star.

zlCfzS27LVwx_lB1DS

I already did, Nintendo!

WiiCube_2013

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Only 5 chapters left from finishing Captain Toad (I've been trying to make the game last longer while not playing it too much) and now these last five are somewhat challenging stages because just look at that! 5k coins to collect and 50 levels in this one stage.. god dammit that's damn long!

zlCfzS3Mco8YfUvR4E

This of course is the easiest way to rack up lives but then again, at this point you don't need them any more because it just keeps on piling up.

MarioFanatic64

The guy who does things
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Can we all just take a moment to acknowledge how fucking brutal Mummy-Me Maze Forever is?

I was stuck on it for days. I assumed like the Mummy-Me Maze games (only with no Time Limit) it was just a test to see how many coins you can get before you die. I was stuck assuming that the only goal of this level was to collect 5000 coins before you die.

After days picking up literally every coin in every randomly-generated level of the maze and dying about 600 times in the process I finally managed to rack up 5000 in one go. I kept going to see how far I could get and ended up getting 6400 coins before dying.

Imagine my surprise when it takes me back to the menu and the book doesn't flip over to the next page.

Fucking

Pissed.

Who'd have thought that a bonus level based on a minigame which ended when you died or the time ran out with the word "Forever" in the god damn title actually had an ending? Of course, with a seemingly endless amount of floors and only two hits from death that puts you right back at the beginning means you wouldn't actually know unless you accidentally stumbled onto it or did what I did and completed the only requirement that game actually told you you had to do, which it doesn't do even if you did fill the requirement, until you actually beat the level.

You know what's also infuriating? When it turns out you don't even have to actively collect all that many coins because it gives you over a thousand free coins in the last room!

God, that level knows how to piss me off!

WiiCube_2013

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
I'll try the Mummy Maze stage but damn what puts me off from playing it is that it's really tediously long just for the purpose of collecting 5k and reaching the end.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGClRsx0x64