Castlevania goes to the cinema

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
That's it! I'm dropping out of human race!
You humans always know how to ruin a good thing!
Ummm...it's just Hollywood not anywhere else. I mean you don't horrible Indian adaptations of video games although I could be wrong.
But why a movie for Castlevania? щ(°Д°щ)
There is just no need for that!

Just Another Gamer

星空のメモリア-Wish upon a shooting star- Fanboy
Trophies
XP
Country
D

Deleted_171835

Ummm...its just hollywood not anywhere else. I mean you don't horrible Indian adaptations of video games although I could be wrong.
The name is Snake.

bSdAD.jpg

Just Another Gamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Well thats obvious to us gamers but the rich idiots of hollywood don't get that.
Money ruins everything
So true.

Ummm...its just hollywood not anywhere else. I mean you don't horrible Indian adaptations of video games although I could be wrong.
The name is Snake.

bSdAD.jpg
Nice try but I guess the only problem with game to movie adaptation is hollywood making them.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Street Fighter movie is the greatest video game adaption of all time, and I will face anyone in the ring who argues otherwise.

"You still refuse to accept my godhood? Fine, keep your own God! In fact, now might be a good time to pray to Him. For I beheld Satan as he fell from heaven like lightning!"

If this Castlevania adaptation can capture even a fraction of the Street Fighter movie's greatness, we'll be in for a fun time at the theater

Phynx

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Years ago I would have cringed at this, but the Castlevania has already been dead to me for a great many years now. It was a childhood favorite and I had the misfortune of watching it plummet since the PS1 days.

FluffyLunamoth

Still a Touhou Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Years ago I would have cringed at this, but the Castlevania has already been dead to me for a great many years now. It was a childhood favorite and I had the misfortune of watching it plummet since the PS1 days.

Posts like this are exactly why I say no one is ever satisfied, and everyone is blinded by nostalgia-based rose goggles.

BloodWolfJW

Marotheit
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't read everyone's reply, but I seem like the only person who thinks this might be one of the better video game movies.

Don't get me wrong, still don't think it will be good, but at least bearable compared to...dare I say it...

No, I won't...

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ummm...it's just Hollywood not anywhere else. I mean you don't see horrible Indian adaptations of video games although I could be wrong.

Computer games tend to have terrible stories not that well suited for films and a less than stellar cast anyway so quite a bit of the time I can not fault them for making massive changes but as for India, be it Bollywood or the other regions, they do have things to answer for
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI58W0KpAS0

Anyway as I said for Monster Hunter it is not like there is a truly cohesive story to ruin and it has been ages since we have had a good stab at a classic monster mash so I am game.

On Street Fighter ruining Raul Julia's career... dude was in The Addams Family so he could have done anything up to killing my cat and I would not hold it against him.

Just Another Gamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Ummm...it's just Hollywood not anywhere else. I mean you don't see horrible Indian adaptations of video games although I could be wrong.

Computer games tend to have terrible stories not that well suited for films and a less than stellar cast anyway so quite a bit of the time I can not fault them for making massive changes but as for India, be it Bollywood or the other regions, they do have things to answer for
Again to be fair I did say game to movie adaptation not remaking a movie. Even games with a great story would struggle to be adapted correctly by Hollywood because they would change so much and there is barely anything of the original left apart from the title, I have no clue why this happens but it does.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I know that was pushing it a bit, I just like to trot that out in these sorts of threads.

You say that and I can certainly see where you are coming from but a 12 hour game with a massive draw being interactivity vs a two hour medium that more or less has to have a fully contained story within it kind of necessitates a massive rewrite in my book. If we are talking about converting a game to a TV series (and not a throwaway cartoon)

As for games with a good film grade story I am struggling to think of many that I can not instead point to a TV show, other film, book or in some cases comic and say "like that?" and that cuts the other way as well when it comes to unique games, there are certainly games with a fairly unique visual aesthetic but story wise less so.

Do not get me wrong though, various people within the Hollywood system could do with a headbutt or three.

Phynx

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Posts like this are exactly why I say no one is ever satisfied, and everyone is blinded by nostalgia-based rose goggles.

I hope you don't really believe that. It's really a lack of care on the publisher's and developer's side in failing to maintain the integrity of their IPs.
Lets take Capcom's Resident Evil, for example. They started with a well received and well thought out game, built upon that formula and expanded the lore for a couple of games. They continued to build a fan base and continued to please the existing fans. Around the year 2000--after the third game--is where it went awry. They had successfully built a brand and started cashing in on name recognition with terrible and underdeveloped games, toys, books, movies and really anything they could make a buck off of. So not surprisingly, those original fans became increasingly displeased. Is it fair to say they are just "blinded by nostalgia?" No, they watched a franchise they were invested in get destroyed.

Just Another Gamer

Trophies
XP
Country
I know that was pushing it a bit, I just like to trot that out in these sorts of threads.

You say that and I can certainly see where you are coming from but a 12 hour game with a massive draw being interactivity vs a two hour medium that more or less has to have a fully contained story within it kind of necessitates a massive rewrite in my book. If we are talking about converting a game to a TV series (and not a throwaway cartoon)

As for games with a good film grade story I am struggling to think of many that I can not instead point to a TV show, other film, book or in some cases comic and say "like that?" and that cuts the other way as well when it comes to unique games, there are certainly games with a fairly unique visual aesthetic but story wise less so.

Do not get me wrong though, various people within the Hollywood system could do with a headbutt or three.
Well of course its impossible to make a 2 hour movie about any game that is 12+ hours long but its a wonder why some directors or is it producers or whatever just give up on failing to adapt games, anime and cartoons into a proper movie that doesn't look like a cheap piece of crap. I'm quite relieved that VNs aren't that popular otherwise hollywood will destroy the last few things in gaming that actually has a good story left.

I agree that games don't usually have great stories but I found P3 and P4 to be quite good and the anime of P4 seemed to do well in adapting the game cause from playing the game some minor things did change but I didn't find it as noticeable.

I would actually say alot instead of various but I guess thats just me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Hey "wuuuuut" is mine, I patented it like yesterday, so No! Bad boy!