Castlevania: Symphony of the Night gets a mobile version on iOS/Android

OMvGBdm.jpg

The classic Castlevania: Symphony of the Night is headed to a new and unexpected platform. After the 1997 game got re-released multiple times, for the PlayStation Portable and Xbox 360, and most recently on Xbox One and PlayStation 4 as part of Castlevania Reqiuem two years ago, SOTN has launched on mobile platforms. You can grab it for a mere $2.99 on either Google Play or the App Store. According to the app page, the mobile port features compatibility with controllers and a "new continue feature".

:arrow: Source

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another useless re-release. Million times gets released and yet still fail to make a definitive edition of SOTN that includes Saturn content minus the crappy graphics and slowdown and new content as well. I rather just play this on Retroarch in Android with CRT filters, savestates, real time rewind and runahead. Infinitely better than all SOTN ports combined lol.

After this thing here:

(OK, so someone in the comments who worked on this said they didn't use Ghidra, but still)

I'm just waiting for someone to decompile the game's source code (preferably the PS1 version, I don't want to know how fucked the code on the Sega Saturn port was), rewrite everything to use C++ commands for better operating system/CPU architecture portability, and port it to every system with everything from the Saturn version and more!

Now, if only they could do that with MUGEN as well...

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

More than 10 years already and I am still waiting for Esco to finish his impressive SOTN mod https://www.patreon.com/sotnhacked

Once that's out then that is going to be the definitive SOTN for me.

I remember reading something about some mod or something that had multiple modes and other shit planned for some re-do of SOTN on the Castlevania Dungeon forums. Is this the same project?

Reactions: drickmel

drickmel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After this thing here:

(OK, so someone in the comments who worked on this said they didn't use Ghidra, but still)

I'm just waiting for someone to decompile the game's source code (preferably the PS1 version, I don't want to know how fucked the code on the Sega Saturn port was), rewrite everything to use C++ commands for better operating system/CPU architecture portability, and port it to every system with everything from the Saturn version and more!

Now, if only they could do that with MUGEN as well...

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I remember reading something about some mod or something that had multiple modes and other shit planned for some re-do of SOTN on the Castlevania Dungeon forums. Is this the same project?

Yeah, it's the same thing. I make sure to check it yearly. You should check the changes he made.

Reactions: Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WARNING: RATED AO FOR GAMER NERDGASMS, EXTREME HYPE, LOTS OF GAMERGASMS, and you know what, FUCK IT!

huff...huff...this...better...fucking...release...*collapses to the floor in exhaustion*...soon...

Reactions: drickmel

DeadSkullzJr

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't agree with everything Konami does, however I can't really gripe about this. The thing is sure, there is other systems that could run this game just fine, with nicer control schemes. I understand the mobile approach (you take your phone everywhere blah blah blah), though I am not a huge fan of mobile gaming (a handheld console serves better sense into the concept of mobile gaming), the way I see it, the game is at least available to buy and play. Is it something I expect on other platforms, not necessarily, I mean sure some are more optimal than others, but if you actually give it a chance, you'll get used to the controls after a while. At the end of the day, you get a good game, why complain about it when you could have gotten nothing at all. Like I said, I don't agree with everything Konami does, I know that other systems would likely benefit from this better than mobile, but whatever, it happened, either get it, or don't get it, that's all there really is to it.

Konami needs to make more Castlevania games though rather than doing a bunch of ports, I miss waiting for a new Castlevania game to come out...

Last edited by DeadSkullzJr,

nWo

The Game Master
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Mexico
I just love so much this game to say something bad about it. Kinda nice to have it there, hope that points to a official Switch release or something.

All in all, it's one of the greatest of all time.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No controller support, no buy. Touchscreen controls for old games are usually trash.

I'll start playing it when I have the time, then.

Or just play the XBOX One or PlayStation 4 version instead.

Kinda hard to play those versions portably.

Last edited by the_randomizer,

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No controller support, no buy. Touchscreen controls for old games are usually trash.

Kinda hard to play those versions portably.
it was outright said that there would be controller support in the op '_>'
According to the app page, the mobile port features compatibility with controllers

Reactions: Chary

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
The important question here is...
Does it use the PSP dub?
or the original cheesy one from PSX?
If the later, instant buy.
If first... Well die, you monster!

MadMakuFuuma

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
- people: yeah, right... why not launch it as a digital content for actual consoles/pc,
- konami? no no no, shut up and get this half ass mobile port instead! in the future, we going to use this same mobile version and re-launch on steam, like Square-Enix did with chrono Trigger. we not move any finger to fix any lag or bug, so the community is gonna do it for us for free.

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
- people: yeah, right... why not launch it as a digital content for actual consoles/pc,
- konami? no no no, shut up and get this half ass mobile port instead! in the future, we going to use this same mobile version and re-launch on steam, like Square-Enix did with chrono Trigger. we not move any finger to fix any lag or bug, so the community is gonna do it for us for free.

brandon916

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Symphony of the Night on mobile with touchscreen controls? This is definitely going to go well.
I think I'll just play it on an emulator on my 2DS XL instead...

...if I ever get around to playing it, anyway.
It's not bad on the N3DS. The colors aren't great though.

drickmel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ewwww PSP redubbed version.
No thanks, I'll pass.

Actually, the original english dub of SOTN is inaccurate. If you want true to the source version of SOTN then I suggest playing the undub of the Japanese SOTN. Not only it has better consistent voice acting from the same Alucard for 20 years already. It has 2 Saturn content; the Nose Demon and the Fairy the sings when you sit in the library.

Honestly, I really hated how the US SOTN sounded even back then. It's just too cheesy for me and not even nostalgia can save it for me lol. So whenever I replay SOTN on PSX I make sure to use -don't link to copyrighted material-

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Actually, the original english dub of SOTN is inaccurate. If you want true to the source version of SOTN then I suggest playing the undub of the Japanese SOTN. Not only it has better consistent voice acting from the same Alucard for 20 years already. It has 2 Saturn content; the Nose Demon and the Fairy the sings when you sit in the library.

Honestly, I really hated how the US SOTN sounded even back then. It's just too cheesy for me and not even nostalgia can save it for me lol. So whenever I replay SOTN on PSX I make sure to use -don't link to copyrighted material-
You mean playing the game with Japanese voices but with English text?

Fuck no, may the heavens forbid me from that punishment.

I really don't like hearing Japanese language being spoken in acting for games or TV, like at all.
I find it extremely overreacted to the point of being annoying and distracting, only in live-action movies I am okay with, but not in those two.

I prefer the cheesiness of original US SotN over the Japanese one any day.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: it looks like a little kids' game, and bunny (welcome btw) is looking for an uncensor patch