Hacking Hardware Cheapmod Mini - a brand-new Cheapmod-based modchip for the OG Xbox

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
cheapmod-mini-logo.png
cheapmod_mini.png

The Cheapmod Mini is a low-cost modchip alternative for the Original Xbox. Based off the cheapmod schematics, the chip was made in a smaller form-factor while comprising of a single 49LF020 flash to store one 256k custom BIOS.

It allows the bypassing of most of the Xbox's security features and install a custom BIOS (e.g., Cerbios), region free capabilities for booting of imported and backup games, running homebrew applications, and various other advantages over stock.

Features:
  • 256k LPC flash fitted for (1x256k) custom BIOS (e.g. Cerbios).
  • Compatible with almost any Xbox revision - from v1.0, v1.1 to v1.6.
  • Boot imports, backups and DVDs region free without any restrictions.
  • Running unsigned code such as homebrew and multimedia players.
  • Installation of a custom dashboard (e.g. UnleashX).
  • Easy to upgrade the HDD (no HDD locking required).
  • Very easy to install - just plug-and-play via pin header.
  • Low-cost and affordable.
  • Free and open-source.
Diagrams can be found on the official SylverReZ website.

Download

Last edited by SylverReZ,

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Wait so this is just an LPC ROM connected directly to the bus?

Inb4 I can use my Aladdin Plus XT Whatever You Could Only Buy Before the OpenXenium to flash my PC

Reactions: SylverReZ

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Inb4 I can use my Aladdin Plus XT Whatever You Could Only Buy Before the OpenXenium to flash my PC
Most of the Aladdins are all clones, they have flash chips that cannot be programmed on the Xbox because the flash ID is incorrect. There's an option on the XgPro programmer software that lets you disable the ID check to allow flashing/reading the chip.

wolffangalchemist

This is bat country!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cheapmod Mini's GitHub repository is finally up. https://github.com/m4x10187/cheapmod-mini
I have a question regarding the chip used, if I understand it correct you have to use this chip for it to be flashed through the xbox itself. So could one if they say had a chip programmer and a 49lf002a or 49lf004a just sitting around write a bios to it with a chip programmer they already own and use it that way minus using the xbox to program it? it would still boot into said custom bios?

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have a question regarding the chip used, if I understand it correct you have to use this chip for it to be flashed through the xbox itself. So could one if they say had a chip programmer and a 49lf002a or 49lf004a just sitting around write a bios to it with a chip programmer they already own and use it that way minus using the xbox to program it? it would still boot into said custom bios?
Only the 49LF020 chips will work because these have a flaw where it would accept any address sent as valid regardless, later chips such as the 49LF020A/B doesn't work with the cheapmod, neither does the Winbond or Atmel chips even if they look similar, it only applies to SST.

Regarding the programmer, somebody on another forum asked me a similar question to this one. If you are building your own, you must provide your own custom BIOS such as Cerbios or Evo-X M8+, they can be found at 'the usual places' (I will not provide links to Xbox custom BIOS's as they still contain M$ copyrighted code regardless if its legal or not.) Then, for the programmer, you could build a simple LPC programmer (CheapLPC) (example) but this will only work if your PC has a parallel port. Or, the most modern and recommended way would be to snag up a TL866II Plus or another programmer that has support for the 49LF020 PLCC-32 package.
Post automatically merged:

If you come across these chips for sale, of which I doubt but who knows, ask the seller if they could program the chip for you with a BIOS of your choice.

Last edited by SylverReZ,

wolffangalchemist

This is bat country!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Only the 49LF020 chips will work because these have a flaw where it would accept any address sent as valid regardless, later chips such as the 49LF020A/B doesn't work with the cheapmod, neither does the Winbond or Atmel chips even if they look similar, it only applies to SST.

Regarding the programmer, somebody on another forum asked me a similar question to this one. If you are building your own, you must provide your own custom BIOS such as Cerbios or Evo-X M8+, they can be found at 'the usual places' (I will not provide links to Xbox custom BIOS's as they still contain M$ copyrighted code regardless if its legal or not.) Then, for the programmer, you could build a simple LPC programmer (CheapLPC) (example) but this will only work if your PC has a parallel port. Or, the most modern and recommended way would be to snag up a TL866II Plus or another programmer that has support for the 49LF020 PLCC-32 package.
ok so basically if it's not a 49lf020 the xbox won't boot with cheap mod even if you flashed the bios with a programmer, gotcha. i already have they exact programmer and old winxp system(has a parallel port not that i use it much anymore was the slowest way to dump a 360 nand flash ever!) i use for this kinda stuff. do you know a decent source for getting a few legit 49lf020's? i assume that's the tricky part.

Reactions: SylverReZ

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
ok so basically if it's not a 49lf020 the xbox won't boot with cheap mod even if you flashed the bios with a programmer, gotcha. i already have they exact programmer and old winxp system(has a parallel port not that i use it much any more was the slowest way to dump a 360 nand flash ever!)
system i use for this kinda stuff. do you know a decent source for getting a few legit 49lf020's? i assume that's the tricky part.
There's a seller on eBay located in Italy who sells old stock original chips. https://www.ebay.com/itm/124518077957
I bought two from him and they're all confirmed legitimate.

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If your Cheapmod Mini isn't working due to fragging, even though you've installed it correctly, then it could be down to a voltage issue. Make the following modifications as shown in the diagram. If your chip works fine, then this is not needed.
cheapmod_pwr_fix.jpg

Darksabre72

Blue Falcon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Reactions: Darksabre72

Darksabre72

Blue Falcon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope, 100% it won't. Most of these you see on AliExpress are revised versions of the 49LF020 with a different marking, and therefore does not work with this mod.
ok thanks for the response and with the 1.6 xbox when your talking about lifting the pin are you saying to remove that cyan pin or adjust it?

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Reactions: zfreeman

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
A little update for everyone: I have ordered 5 new PCBs from JLCPCB for the Cheapmod Mini, and I'm planning on selling these on eBay. If you are willing to purchase these, then the link will be up just around the near end of January or somewhere in February.

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Modchip has been featured in one of Mundo Yakara Colombia's videos. I honestly enjoy watching him, got some amazing content for sure.
Note: Video is in Spanish.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto