Homebrew Citra - Unofficial \ Chinese builds discussion

D

Deleted User

People already played their favorite 3ds games on Unofficial citra builds & know citra is not going to become faster anytime soon & moved on.
Citra *has* been getting faster all the time - sure, some of the changes slow down Citra in the name of accuracy, but this is no different from any other emulator project.

Dolphin & rpcs3 have unofficial or special build focused on certain games and speed build by the devs themselves. such as Persona 5 build
So no need to look for 3rd party Rpcs3 build.
What do you think bleeding edge is? Changes that are still in progress. Individual contributors reserve the right to claim whatever they like on their specific subset of changes.

3rd party citra build existed because people wanted speed.
The speed increase from builds on this forum have been minor or non-existent, especially of recently. Placebos got you all.

In the end, citra Devs didn't listen to people & so people didn't listen them either.
Citra devs provide a product out of their goodwill - you, or no other user are entitled to their work. They could keep the project entirely private if they wanted - it doesn't affect them, and indeed, having to deal with users makes the job arguably a million times harder. In return, the devs expect a friendly and cooperative community - is that too much to ask?

3rd party builds exist because a few kids think that they could be better then the people tirelessly reverse engineering and recreating hardware.

You done pushing your story?

The Koopa Kingdom

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also few things happened such as better cemu & rpcs3 optimization
People are focusing more on these two & community & forum moderators are nicer & helpful.
Citra moderator here. If you have a problem with the way we moderate our forums, I'm always open to constructive criticism on how to improve.

EDIT: And, as for the first part of your message that's just not the case. If it seems like no development is happening, we (AKA the writers :P) are working on more consistent progress reports to show what's been going on.

Last edited by The Koopa Kingdom,

John1234

Trophies
XP
Country
I wasn't talking about myself. It is a general thought of what happened to citra & its end users. but You had to reply to me anyways.

I knew someone is going to mentioned bleeding edge, but it did not serve the purpose it was suppose to.
bleeding edge was never better than custom builds\ chinese build at the time. or at least to end user anyway.

You done pushing your story? Such a nice reply, I guess I should say thank you.
If you read different forums of different countries, you will know what I was talking about.
most of the users were asking for custom build with speed, Such as Russia, china india & other countries.

I have no intention to offend anyone. I just wrote what I saw in different forums of different countries.

Last edited by John1234,
Reactions: Broadway
D

Deleted User

I wasn't talking about myself you dummies.
You were going on the assault, I replied.

bleeding edge was never better than custom builds\ chinese build at the time
So what do you expect Citra devs to be doing? Producing some magical build which will fix every bug and play Pokemon/Dragonball/whatever people love complaining about at 100fps on a Pentium? Bleeding edge is a known safe version of citra that aims to accomplish in a clean way what unofficial builds are doing.

If you read different forums of different countries, you will know what I was talking about.
most of the users were asking for custom build with speed, Such as Russia, china india & other countries.
No more then what I see on these forums, I would suspect. If people running decade old hardware expect a miracle they are sorely mistaken.

Sharpastic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yikes, there's a lot of hate going around in this thread.

I just want to chime in and say I have been lurking here ever since Citra was announced, and I appreciate the hard work you all do. Citra has come so far since those early days, I'm amazed at the progress it has made. Thank you all for your contributions! Just know that at the end of the day, you will at least have one person rooting you on ;). Go Citra!

instantham

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
OK first of all i'm watching these thread is like watching small children who get mad when they got Nudge at school... Jesus Christ calm down...

Secondly, whats really wrong with @drwhojan unoffical build anyway? why bash it so much? he did it not for the fame or anything, just to test a different built than the other. its not like he stole it and built in on different name and not crediting the people who worked on it. and for anyone who says his built is minor, i'm sorry but his build with SSE 4.1 is the fastest built i ever get. Even with bleeding edge.

Third, saying Citra dev is doing nothing is FUCKING WRONG. if you wanted to get faster build then create it yourself. How fast citra is not your concern if you not even contribute anything to the team. But to be fair, Citra rarely explain what progress is really happening. Making some people who didn't understand ANY programming (including reading github) having difficulties on understanding what is happening in Citra. And when asking what is the progress in the forum, all i see is "CITRA IS IN DEVELOPEMENT, DONT EXPECT PLAYING POKEMON YOU DUMBASS" while not saying explain anything to normal people. How do you get good impression if even outsider cannot get a warm welcome? @The Koopa Kingdom i'm hoping what i say here can be a note for further improvement.

Last edited by instantham,

drwhojan

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
OK first of all i'm watching these thread is like watching small children who get mad when they got Nudge at school... Jesus Christ calm down...

Secondly, whats really wrong with @drwhojan unoffical build anyway? why bash it so much? he did it not for the fame or anything, just to test a different built than the other. its not like he stole it and built in on different name and not crediting the people who worked on it. and for anyone who says his built is minor, i'm sorry but his build with SSE 4.1 is the fastest built i ever get. Even with bleeding edge.

Third, saying Citra dev is doing nothing is FUCKING WRONG. if you wanted to get faster build then create it yourself. How fast citra is not your concern if you not even contribute anything to the team. But to be fair, Citra rarely explain what progress is really happening. Making some people who didn't understand ANY programming (including reading github) having difficulties on understanding what is happening in Citra. And when asking what is the progress in the forum, all i see is "CITRA IS IN DEVELOPEMENT, DONT EXPECT PLAYING POKEMON YOU DUMBASS" while not saying explain anything to normal people. How do you get good impression if even outsider cannot get a warm welcome? @The Koopa Kingdom i'm hoping what i say here can be a note for further improvement.

Because I added wwylele gs++ branch into my build, and say to compile it you're self if you wish to test it, no release.

They is no point now, as its pulled into the bleeding edge anyway one day after.
---------
Hope he continues to worked on it and all best, I have not knocked/sed any think bad about him, at all myself.
----------
Pokemon x/y is using parts of pipe3 that was split into two, it should have been a one merge, other was split into bleeding edge, these two with each other makes more sounds in pokemon x/y

PIPE3 one was split into main Citra , and one part spilt into the bleeding edge.., the two need each other for extra sound's in PM X/Y

To maybe fix the AAC audio, is a missing bit of Channel 3 as not implemented yet, who knows what the "Free" 4-7 parts is doing..

But I'm not a source coder at all, but like to try to know.

Maybe one day they find some think for it, I'm not on my own pc at moment, but have more info on it.

Last edited by drwhojan,
Reactions: instantham
D

Deleted User

Secondly, whats really wrong with @drwhojan unoffical build anyway? why bash it so much? he did it not for the fame or anything, just to test a different built than the other. its not like he stole it and built in on different name and not crediting the people who worked on it.
Because it separates the userbase. When people come onto the Citra forums looking for support and they are running hacked up builds from this forum or similar, it makes diagnosing user issues much, much harder. Further, developers don't expect that simply storing code in their own repositories that it will be copied before it is even done. Legal, but still dirty. I still don't get the fascination with builds from random corners of the internet, anyway - what happens if one of these random users decides to post a build which deletes system32 or whatever? That could potentially hurt Citra's reputation and setback the project.

I pulled my texture filtering branch and are now keeping it for my own consumption only because I didn't feel comfortable with that work badged across these hacked builds. Call me selfish, whatever. I develop things for my own purposes, and if my sharing means that my goodwill will be exploited, then I won't share at all.

and for anyone who says his built is minor, i'm sorry but his build with SSE 4.1 is the fastest built i ever get. Even with bleeding edge.
SSE is no magic bullet, it just allows for conditional optimisation when operating on large, linear datasets (afaik). The Citra devs could add those flags in 5 minutes if they really wanted - its a single file modification. You want to know why they don't? Because it is a minor speed boost to potentially alienate users without support for it. drwhojan or whoever else has no other magic bullets up their sleeve.

But to be fair, Citra rarely explain what progress is really happening. Making some people who didn't understand ANY programming (including reading github) having difficulties on understanding what is happening in Citra.
This is being rectified - more frequent articles are going to be published on the website, hopefully. Much like what Dolphin does now.

And when asking what is the progress in the forum, all i see is "CITRA IS IN DEVELOPEMENT, DONT EXPECT PLAYING POKEMON YOU DUMBASS" while not saying explain anything to normal people.
Where has this been said? Sure, users not searching for content and posting new topics on a established matter is annoying and will likely get a equal response, but there is plenty of detailed information about why things are as they are.

instantham

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Because it separates the userbase. When people come onto the Citra forums looking for support and they are running hacked up builds from this forum or similar, it makes diagnosing user issues much, much harder. Further, developers don't expect that simply storing code in their own repositories that it will be copied before it is even done. Legal, but still dirty. I still don't get the fascination with builds from random corners of the internet, anyway - what happens if one of these random users decides to post a build which deletes system32 or whatever? That could potentially hurt Citra's reputation and setback the project.

well the term Unofficial Build should already throw off bad signal for them. So what i'm figuring out is, @drwhojan should put a disclaimer in his post OR README that his build is not official and all broken problem should not be associated with the Citra team and should be use at their own risk. is this able to solve this problem?

SSE is no magic bullet, it just allows for conditional optimisation when operating on large, linear datasets (afaik). The Citra devs could add those flags in 5 minutes if they really wanted - its a single file modification. You want to know why they don't? Because it is a minor speed boost to potentially alienate users without support for it. drwhojan or whoever else has no other magic bullets up their sleeve.

But it still an improvement. whether is minor or major, improvement is an improvement and a lot of normal user appreciates it.

This is being rectified - more frequent articles are going to be published on the website, hopefully. Much like what Dolphin does now.

Where has this been said? Sure, users not searching for content and posting new topics on a established matter is annoying and will likely get a equal response, but there is plenty of detailed information about why things are as they are.

i'm hoping its true. this would really makes normal user feels welcome.
i've already seen it too many times on the Citra official forum whenever an user asking a progress on some games, all they get is "It's not done and will not be done in the future, so just shut it and dont ever talk about it anymore". of course i can't show you one by one. but it happen so many times, thats why i rather go to /https://gbatemp.net/threads/citra-new-3ds-emulator.365154/ and this forum for info on development.

wwylele

Trophies
XP
Country
China
But it still an improvement. whether is minor or major, improvement is an improvement and a lot of normal user appreciates it.
This is one-sided. When I was in the chinese forum (you know the one) and when a SSE build (or whatever build using a new architecture) came out, the comments below are always half of "this is fast" and half of "Help I can't run this!". You can say "a lot of normal user" just because you are in the former half.

Reactions: matif

drwhojan

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This is one-sided. When I was in the chinese forum (you know the one) and when a SSE build (or whatever build using a new architecture) came out, the comments below are always half of "this is fast" and half of "Help I can't run this!". You can say "a lot of normal user" just because you are in the former half.

That's why its set to sse2 most CPU's support it, If not always check with CUP-Z to know what instructions you're CPU has, that's why half of the time like you say "Help I can't run this!" lol

D

Deleted User

well the term Unofficial Build should already throw off bad signal for them. So what i'm figuring out is, @drwhojan should put a disclaimer in his post OR README that his build is not official and all broken problem should not be associated with the Citra team and should be use at their own risk. is this able to solve this problem?
Since when do people actually read the READMEs :P? Still doesn't address the underlying problem however.

i've already seen it too many times on the Citra official forum whenever an user asking a progress on some games, all they get is "It's not done and will not be done in the future, so just shut it and dont ever talk about it anymore".
Still think you are exaggerating there.

drwhojan

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Since when do people actually read the READMEs :P? Still doesn't address the underlying problem however.

Maybe that's some think I can do, just did not think on.

instantham

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
i've share this build with my friend a lot, and most of them don't have any problem. even if some of them do, the avx2 build is there to help...

i think its helps the problem a lot, by putting it there it clearly not gonna split the user base again since they know its not official and they not gonna bother reporting error on Citra main website... that is if they read the README tho :ha:(well we know how some people is a blind monkey). but at least Citra is not gonna be put responsible for that any problem in the future, and @drwhojan can still do what he loves.

Well this is based on my own experience and observation. as i said before i cannot pin point it one by one, but i'm hoping the forum will improved in the future with more articles on what have been improved in each build.

arkhamsaiyan

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States

thank you for using my comment about citra and pokemon. I can't stand impatient people when they have no idea how hard it is to work on and develop emulators. I tell people all the time if they want it faster, compile it yourself and test things out.

Also don't expect anyone to do it for you. ASK NICELY AND MAYBE SOMEONE WILL HELP BUT NOT WITH EVERYTHING.

Maybe that's some think I can do, just did not think on.

Nice to see you are back up and running. I am quite excited for Friday as it is my 28th birthday and I have been on AMD FX 8350 for about 3 years and it is quite a bitch to work on when it comes to compiling and building.

So this year my girlfriend is getting me an i7 7700k unlocked with a badass AORUS motherboard. So pairing that with my Strix OC 1060 6gb is gonna be quite an upgrade.

Gonna be honest, I can't wait to see the difference in PCSX2 and other emulators including citra.

Takemura

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
People already played their favorite 3ds games on Unofficial citra builds & know citra is not going to become faster anytime soon & moved on.

Also few things happened such as better cemu & rpcs3 optimization
People are focusing more on these two & community & forum moderators are nicer & helpful.

Dolphin & rpcs3 have unofficial or special build focused on certain games and speed build by the devs themselves. such as Persona 5 build
So no need to look for 3rd party Rpcs3 build.

Citra devs should have done something similar that way people wouldn't have looked for 3rd party build.

In the end, citra Devs didn't listen to people & so people didn't listen them either.

Are there any builds for DQ VII ? or any build that can play that game "decently"? i mean with animations and all.

Miguel Gomez

Trophies
XP
Country
Are there any builds for DQ VII ? or any build that can play that game "decently"? i mean with animations and all.
If you mean animation as geometry shader(gs++), then no.
Plus, gs++ is in private. So there's no single unofficial build published yet.

I wonder why they called particles as animation?

drwhojan

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Nice to see you are back up and running. I am quite excited for Friday as it is my 28th birthday and I have been on AMD FX 8350 for about 3 years and it is quite a bitch to work on when it comes to compiling and building.

So this year my girlfriend is getting me an i7 7700k unlocked with a badass AORUS motherboard. So pairing that with my Strix OC 1060 6gb is gonna be quite an upgrade.

Gonna be honest, I can't wait to see the difference in PCSX2 and other emulators including citra.

Thanks.

Happy 28th Birthday for friday!, have a good one and get pissed.

The i7 should be a good one for most Emulators.

Some time compiling citra may not always be about cpu are ram, I had a HDD I managed to clone to a new HDD, strangely compiling in Mingw gone three times faster the my old hdd that was kind of failing, I was like wtf xd.

If you mean animation as geometry shader(gs++), then no.
Plus, gs++ is in private. So there's no single unofficial build published yet.
I wonder why they called particles as animation?

gs++ is now pulled request into the bleeding edge, but they is no release at moment.
see wwylele did some updates 4 gs today

lol no idea its called one thing are another

Last edited by drwhojan,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    Karma177 @ Karma177: do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea? trying to...