Hacking Clearing Switch of all traces of CFW/"hacks" with no NAND backup.

DoctorZ

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I posted this in the incorrect section as the topic relates more to this one.

A family member has a Switch that they are willing to sell me pretty cheap. This is what I know about it, I do trust them since we trade/sell stuff all the time. They aren't the most experienced messing with consoles and such though.

- It has SX OS on it and several games istalled (nsp) as well as several xci games on the SD card.
- No NAND backup. Not sure why, they just never made one.
- It was used online before the switch was "hackable"
- It was taken online briefly a few times to download updates when SX first was released. I have to assume these were XCI games and before they installed any NSPs. They say that since then it has not been connected to even their wifi network.
- They updated the firmware the standard way so burned fuses I assume.

If I buy it I'd like to clear everything off it and start from scratch, make a NAND backup and then set up 7.0 sysnand and 6.2 emunand.

I found this guide claiming to basically do this, but I have no idea if it's worth the trouble if it doesn't actually work. https://gbatemp.net/threads/clear-the-switch-of-any-cfw-things.514331/#post-8205772

Anyone have any insight on if this method would work or if you have any other methods/ideas.

Paulsar99

Trophies
XP
Country
Togo
Well you can initialize the console, it formats everything and boots like you just bought it from the store. Don't know if your sx os license would still work though after the process.

DoctorZ

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well you can initialize the console, it formats everything and boots like you just bought it from the store. Don't know if your sx os license would still work though after the process.

But how would that allow for a safe way to go online? I thought that you can't remove error logs and other data that seems to be some of the causes of bans.

Reactions: Full Metal

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is not enough to remove all traces of CFW. Following this guide with the system initialize option MIGHT accomplish your goals, but there are no guarantees. The best way is restoring a NAND backup from before any hackery.

Reactions: Full Metal

Paulsar99

Trophies
XP
Country
Togo
But how would that allow for a safe way to go online? I thought that you can't remove error logs and other data that seems to be some of the causes of bans.
Yeah it isn't guaranteed but Sadly since you don't have a clean back up you really have no choice but to follow that guide which also a bit risky.

Last edited by Paulsar99,

DoctorZ

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, well the I guess the best option is to either find a new unpatched switch or to just continue using the switch offline as if it was banned. Not many games to play online honestly, splatoon and tetris I guess.

You should make a NAND backup before you do anything. Surely, you've made one by now.

This isn't my switch and yeah I'd do it before messing with it further, but it has already been exploited and used with SX OS and never had a nand backup.

Last edited by DoctorZ,

Koko210

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
Hmm, well the I guess the best option is to either find a new unpatched switch or to just continue using the switch offline as if it was banned. Not many games to play online honestly, splatoon and tetris I guess.

This isn't my switch and yeah I'd do it before messing with it further, but it has already been exploited and used with SX OS and never had a nand backup.
Could you keep us updated if you got banned if you decided to buy that Switch unit at all? I'm in a similar situation but it's because I was retarded and didn't make a backup of my NAND before I started messing with CFW...

chippy

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Seeing it was online before hacking and to update some games that means Nintendo has some logs. Error and maybe other stuff so if you rebuild the nand from pridinfo or what not the error logs won't match what Nintendo has and will flag you a ban.

I would suggest back up the nand first and foremost. Then delete the nsp game tickets (uninstalling the game is not enough, the game installed of choice should be able to delete tickets) but if there are error logs well that I can't help with as I only know of deleting them all or disabling creating more.

FliP0x

Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Looked around because I want to "make my Switch legit" again and came across this topic.

The Switch Hype has settled long ago and I barely even boot it up, but I want to play the upcoming Pokemon games which have been announced for November 15th.

All I ever used on it was SXOS. I was online with it before the hackery, never online even for a second after SXOS. Installed a few NSPs and I have a few XCIs on my SD card. I understand at least the NSPs will have to go.

I did not make a NAND dump, but I have a second Switch (unpatched/exploitable) from which I could dump the NAND from, if that makes any sense?

The only errors that occured were failed NSP installation attempts due to corrupted NSP files.

I could just use my second Switch to play legit, but then I'd have to inject my legit saves onto it and it would not be 100% legit in that case. Also, for traveling it is not convenient to have 2 Switches with you.

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looked around because I want to "make my Switch legit" again and came across this topic.

The Switch Hype has settled long ago and I barely even boot it up, but I want to play the upcoming Pokemon games which have been announced for November 15th.

All I ever used on it was SXOS. I was online with it before the hackery, never online even for a second after SXOS. Installed a few NSPs and I have a few XCIs on my SD card. I understand at least the NSPs will have to go.

I did not make a NAND dump, but I have a second Switch (unpatched/exploitable) from which I could dump the NAND from, if that makes any sense?

The only errors that occured were failed NSP installation attempts due to corrupted NSP files.

I could just use my second Switch to play legit, but then I'd have to inject my legit saves onto it and it would not be 100% legit in that case. Also, for traveling it is not convenient to have 2 Switches with you.
Way to hijack the OP's thread.

On to your questions...

You cannot move nands from swith to switch.

If you didnt make a nand backup before you stared "hacking" then it's not clean and you will get banned.

You can make a "clean" nand from scratch but I dont think the logs would match from the last time you were online, possibly triggering a ban.

Last edited by Kafluke,
Reactions: LapCheong

LapCheong

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

I pmed you, hijack is bad unless you are from the Cooper

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Probably because the game cover looks like it's meant for little kids