ac403580.jpg

a79ce140.jpg

aa6dffb2.jpg

54c39f8a.jpg

Supersonicmonk

Trophies
XP
Country
The one thing that I really hate is the headphone jack at the front, I mean I know they're puched for space and thats why there isn't another analgue stick but I really hope it's changed for the launch model.

EDIT: Oh and the square power button, just nick the Wiimote or DSi one and save a bit on manufacturing

patevo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought the headphone jack was in an awkward place too but then I realized that they put it there so it won't get in the way of your hands when holding it.

geoflcl

Permanent GBAtemp Newbie
Trophies
Website
loganderb.in
XP
Country
United States
Supersonicmonk said:
... the square power button, just nick the Wiimote or DSi one and save a bit on manufacturing

Definitely. That Power button is way too big and flagrant. I can imagine the accidental power-offs and home menus, hehe. I'm almost sure they'll change it before launch, but I just wanted to put that out there.

HBK

Clover - Fearless to Speak Now. ;)
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
geoflcl said:
Supersonicmonk said:
... the square power button, just nick the Wiimote or DSi one and save a bit on manufacturing

Definitely. That Power button is way too big and flagrant. I can imagine the accidental power-offs and home menus, hehe. I'm almost sure they'll change it before launch, but I just wanted to put that out there.

DS Lite = best power button system ever. It doesn't get in the way. Don't know what they were thinking when they remade the DSi and put it on the front.

jan777

motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz
Trophies
XP
Country
I just wish the buttons an DPad aren't like the DS lites.

Honestly, i think the best buttons the Ds had was with the phat model.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Personally - I think I'd prefer the 'push button' volume controls of the DSi rather than the 'slider volume' & don't really like the 'flat' Select/Start' buttons (unless there's a positive 'click' feel when pushing)

As for the headphone socket - I think that's actually in a GOOD place

Supersonicmonk

Trophies
XP
Country
I've got to admit I am just knitpicking, it' a beautiful looking console and I'll be too busy getting hit in the face in OoT time to care about an annoying power button.

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I think this was already posted somewhere, and someone said the charging symbol looked like a heart. I can't be arsed to look for it again though so praise yourself lucky
wink.gif

The thing looks really awesome and sturdy, but it seems as though it'll be a big fingerprint magnet. I'm not sure what to think of it though, I'll have to experience it myself for a final judgment (thinking about what I just wrote, that's pretty obvious).

EDIT: Nevermind, the topic I was talking about is right below this one in the topic list and it has different, not-so-up-close pics.

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
http://e3.nintendo.com/iwata-asks/#/?v=iwataasks_konno_3DS

disappointments
1) gloss top playing surface (so is the outside)
2) big and square power button (much better to have less surface area if it's going to live there). DSi's power button has never accidentally been pressed with me; it takes too much force to be pressed and has little surface area, which is good. Why is it there versus being on the side? To make easy resets to the menu, I reckon. This seems worse being bigger and square, too (ugly).
3) 3D slider is painted silver; tacky.
4) START, SELECT and HOME buttons are under a 'membrane' which could fail with use years into the future. Real buttons without a gloss membrane over them would be preferable.
5) around the hinge, those squared-off edges are so ugly in my opinion.

The unit in general is still too square and doesn't look like a comfort improvement whatsoever in what they have now. I look at the the original Game Boy Advance as good ergonomics for the hand.
Nintendo's industrial designer(s) today still don't get it. Ergonomics mean something and the infatuation with gimmicks (painted silver, gloss) needs to go.

positives
1) wireless finally has its own physical switch (would be nice to see brightness get one too, like PSP). This is much better and more convenient than the software switch in the DSi and no switch with the DS Lite.
2) analogue controller is in a higher position than PSP. I think this indicates a lot of new games with increasing importance on the use of this, but a sort-of-awkward positioning of the directional pad down below for those games that use it. Might take some getting used to. You win some, you lose some.
3) 3D camera and gyro / motion sensor should be very interesting for a whole new generation of games

Definitely will wait for a hardware refresh, 'cause I can't see myself wanting to own this unit enough due to a severe case of ugly (perhaps design is a little too important than it should be, but this is not my bag, looks-wise or comfort-wise).

B

ball2012003

OP
I hope that FPS still use the touch screen as the second analog stick.
That way the controls will be similar to PC controls.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
I see so many people complain about the position of the headphone jack. I like it where it is. I actually think the position for the headphone jack on the Lite is horrible. it gets in the way.

Ferrariman

Hip-Flop and cRap
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
dudeonline said:
I see so many people complain about the position of the headphone jack. I like it where it is. I actually think the position for the headphone jack on the Lite is horrible. it gets in the way.
The Truth.

Seriously you guys how are you going to hit the power button by accident? You'd have to be palming the thing

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This thing is the most sleek, sexy, and glossy handheld I've seen from Nintendo.

I think I would like to marry it and have little 3DS lites with it.

dudeonline said:

I agree. My hands are large and always manage to rest right on the thing. I always feel like it's gonna snap off inside of it (giggity).

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
CannonFoddr said:
Personally - I think I'd prefer the 'push button' volume controls of the DSi rather than the 'slider volume' & don't really like the 'flat' Select/Start' buttons (unless there's a positive 'click' feel when pushing)

As for the headphone socket - I think that's actually in a GOOD place
If this is still the E3 version, then as I recall those buttons weren't yet functional and were just design, so they may be different in the final release version.

homer-drool.jpg

QUOTE(ball2012003 @ Aug 19 2010, 12:26 AM) I hope that FPS still use the touch screen as the second analog stick.
That way the controls will be similar to PC controls.
I don't, I'm left-handed.

trans am

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It's almost perfect but it really needs some ironing, lots of kinks there, the hinge looks plain bad for a 2010 device, they could at least round that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: im back