CNN's "Hardcore" Gamer Reviews 3DS

jak66

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
ahh....can't wait to see the shitstorm if yahtzee reviews the 3DS when it arrives down under (especially if it's any worse than this review).

Note: Yes, I know it's unlikely, but still, I have fun reading all the comments to these type of threads.

kylehaas

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not mad that he's not a nintendo fanboy.
What makes me angry is that he (and others) call him hardcore, while he himself admits that he grew up on Halo.
What the crap!?
Halo was never hardcore in the great scheme of things; what about kids that grew up playing Half Life 1 mods and Quake at LAN parties!?
Was Jedi Knight 1 (in a LAN game with 30+ players) not hardcore!? Seriously, this retard knows nothing about being a hardcore gamer.

I'd gladly kick his ass at any true hardcore game.

Gullwing

homo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oooh!! Shhhh everyone!!! He grew up on HALO!!! He is HARDCORE!!! *Sarcasm*
Serioulsy, is he like... 1O? Because Halo was made 10 years ago... He really must be retarded

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
How did this guy get a job at CNN exactly? Here's what GayGamer said:

CNN is a respected source for regular news, but I'm starting to think that they're not as reliable with their tech beat. JP Mangalindan from Fortune gives us his review of Nintendo's new 3DS handheld here, but unfortunately, he's a little... off on a few facts, which makes his opinion, well... less-than-useful.

The first thing that cracked me up was when he described himself as a hardcore gamer who "grew up on Halo." Really? Well, we're so glad that a handheld gaming device finally has graphics good enough for you, even if it's no PlayStation 3, as you note. Those of us who grew up with Atari 2600 or even NESes remember when playing a green-tinted Tetris in the palm of your hand was amazing.

I also enjoyed when he describes the AR Games as "part real world, part... make believe, I guess." Yeah. I guess part of them aren't real.

He calls out the price tag as being $50 more than the Wii, which is true. But to then also say that the iPhone and iPod Touch are technically cheaper and do more? Well, of course they do. One's a phone and both can run a multitude of apps. But they're not dedicated gaming systems with these kind of graphics, and they're certainly not in 3D!

I will grant him the poor battery life. But why does he insist on comparing the 3D to the iPhone and iPod Touch? Saying that the 3DS only does one thing is also way off. It can also play music and movies — 3D movies, even — and as soon as Nintendo gets that eStore up and running, just wait and see how many little downloadable games show up. And the style being retro? It's pretty much the same as the standard DS, which came out just seven years ago. Is seven years retro now?

But clearly, this guy is not aware of the existence of the DS, because he complains about how the 3DS takes cartridges, "something we haven't seen since the last Game Boy." Game Boy? Are you being serious right now? And I guess he isn't aware that the eStore is coming because he claims you can't download games and grassroots developers can't develop for it. Mr. Mangalindan, I'd like to introduce you to a little something we call DSiWare. Look it up.

But maybe my favorite part is when he says "to add insult to injury, perhaps, it also uses a stylus. Something we haven't seen since Palm devices in the early 2000s." Seriously? The various incarnations of the DS have sold almost 150 million units worldwide, and every single one of them came with a stylus.

Wow. Just... wow. You have to laugh. Because the alternative is too sad to consider./QUOTE]

Those were my favorite parts
smile.gif

Canonbeat234

Redeemed Temper
Trophies
XP
Country
He's right you know, being a halo fan makes you feel proud to have played Halo while you were a child. So he doesn't know what a Gameboy is, nor a Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, or Nintendo DS.

CNN is mediocre when it comes to reviewing games in general, just stick to there political and world events.

Edit: As most Tempers know, I'm not a hardcore gamer. I do play games but not too much to the point I play them on a regular basis. Mostly I watch youtube of people playing videogames. I have yet to see walkthroughs/playthroughs of Donkey Kong Country: Returns, Sonic Colors, and Epic Mickey. I just seen Scott Pilgrim vs The World gameplay on BrainscratchComm and I didn't know that game came out last year.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CNN is basically the middle of the spectrum of the 24 hour big news networks in the US. There's the left-handed MSNBC and the right-handed Fox. They're basically mostly unbiased news but have kinda become a joke because they often times spend a lot of time on flashy effects. I mean, during the '08 elections, they had fucking holograms. Fucking. Holograms. Plus there's just a lot of silly stuff on there.

I'd rather stick with dedicated video game sites for 3DS information and reviews.

D

Deleted User

Guild McCommunist said:
CNN is basically the middle of the spectrum of the 24 hour big news networks in the US. There's the left-handed MSNBC and the right-handed Fox. They're basically mostly unbiased news but have kinda become a joke because they often times spend a lot of time on flashy effects. I mean, during the '08 elections, they had fucking holograms. Fucking. Holograms. Plus there's just a lot of silly stuff on there.

I'd rather stick with dedicated video game sites for 3DS information and reviews.
http://kotaku.com
Agreed.

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This guy makes his review seem like a parody of a bad reviewer. That was terrible. Reviewers should not be saying things like this. He obviously has no idea of the hand held gaming world. But CNN had to be in the latest major news so they just stuffed this guy in front of the camera and said "talk about this and compare it to i products! 3,2,1, go."

ZeD

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
What a crap review!
He was talking like the DS/Lite/i were never made! He always refered it to "like a gameboy device!"

What a prick!
IPhone is good but the 3DS is brilliant!

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
L-Lawliet said:
Saw this before. It's hilarious when he says that he "grew up on Halo"
Which means he lost all credibility instantly. Sorry but growing up on casual shit like that proves people know nothing of video games. I grew up on the original Super Mario Bros, Pong and Sonic the Hedgehog, guess I am the casual /sarcasm

People fail to understand what hardcore gamers are, hardcore players have been playing for a long long time, not 8 years. CNN is a joke too, so you shouldn't expect anything less from them. It would be even more laughable if it were Fox doing it though, cause they are worse then CNN.

Whoever let this retard on TV and let him spout a bunch of ignorant bullshit should have their eyes pulled out and skull fucked. I have seen better intelligence from The Onion's news stories which are all just a joke then this crap. If this moron is trying to be serious, he is the worst troll ever.

Donixs

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was enraged when I saw this.

I can't believe someone would ever let him talk in front of a camera.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Me and wifey was deciding on our next vacation, so I hung up a map on the wall, and give her a dart and said, wherever you hit, we will go. She threw the dart and it missed the map completely and fell into a trash can below on floor. So I said "ok Florida it is."
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @ZeroT21 ohhh a pot cake?
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Gimme some of dat
    +4
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    oh yeah i don't use weed,in my baking or in general
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    besides isn't it usually gummies or brownies?
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    So, make a "New Trend"
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i just said i don't use weed
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You can add it in anything really, you can even make a butter/oil with it, then use that oil in anything
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    besides i'm literally a minor and neurodivergent, so telling me to make a cake with cannabis is traumatizing me, ur cancelled buddy /s/srs
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    (nah jk i'm just parodying those "i'm literally a minor and neurodivergent" mfs on twitter)
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Michigan has legal rec, so you only have few more years, is it 18 or 21 up there? 21 here in Ohio.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    prob 21, idk tho
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Guess I'll go with plan B and make a Rum Vanilla flavored ice cream
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That sounds damn good.
    Nah. Tequila maybe
    That, or Old No. 7
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm ashamed to ask, but what is old no 7?
    Jack Daniels
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Oh yea, duh
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I still have some old no 7, bout to mix with some coke, and get "California Sober".
    +2
    lol, I finally got you to Enjoy a Coc Tail :tpi::rofl2::tpi:
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @ZeroT21 oh i bet some rum raisin ice cream is so good

i don't drink, but some rum ice cream might be good
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Rum pecan ice cream is the bomb. Never had rum raisin, but bet be good. My homemade ice cream machine started rust inside so I pitched it, but gotta get a new one, miss making my own ice cream, esp with booze.
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    But have you ever made ice cream on weed... Lol
    +2
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: But have you ever made ice cream on weed... Lol +2