Code 37: Installing Drivers

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was remotely fixing my sisters computer and it had tons of viruses, tdl rootkits, malwares... When we restarted the computer, the internet and keyboard didn't work. So I decided to drive all the way there, and a bunch of her devices (such as processor, network adapters) are giving code 37.

The operating system is Windows Vista,

I have done the sfc /scannow and fixed corrupted files, I have tried reinstalling the drivers and it keeps failing with code 37.

I have been doing this for almost all day and I cannot invest anymore time in this. On the rare offchance, I hope someone who has ran into this problem help me with this situation?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
From what I'm reading SFC doesn't even work off of hashes, it literally checks for changes while running, and replaces from the cache (a folder in the system directory) when a change is unauthorized... so it's possible the infection fucked up the backup copies as well.

If it were me, I'd do a "repair install" (in-place upgrade to the existing version from within windows) to make sure the system is set straight (and this will re-do the hardware abstraction layer anyways).

Reactions: 1 person

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unfortunately they don't have a CD and I didn't bring any backup CD's with me. Man this sucks, She lives a little over 40 miles away...

It was working before I scanned their computer, I wish I can just restore it and just leave her with the viruses.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Midget Monday is best