Coffee!

cubin'

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I've been getting into the good ol' coffee lately and bought myself one of these things:

MokaPot2.jpg

Moka Pot

My Italian uncle told me to get one of these and the coffee it makes is sooo much better than the instant stuff I used to drink.

It works like this -

250px-MokaCoffeePot_2006-07-14.png

Water is poured in the boiler (marked A in the diagram) and the funnel-shaped metal filter (B) is inserted. Finely ground coffee is added to the filter.
By placing the pot on a heat source, the water is brought close to boiling point creating steam in the boiler. A gasket ensures a tightly closed unit and allows for pressure to safely build up in the lower section, where a safety valve provides a necessary release in case this pressure would get too high (with clean filters, that should not happen).
The steam eventually reaches a high enough pressure to gradually force the surrounding boiling water up the funnel through the coffee powder and into the upper chamber Â, where the coffee is collected. When the lower chamber is almost empty, steam bubbles mix with the upstreaming water, producing a characteristic gurgling noise.
(wikipedia)

Do any of you guys like your coffee? I used to be happy with the instant stuff but after trying one out of a moka pot I could never go back to that. The coffee it brews is soo much stronger as well
ohmy.gif

What types of coffee are your favorites? Need some suggestions to try out.

Samutz

Trophies
Website
samutz.com
XP
Country
United States
I drink coffee at work if I need to stay awake, that's about it. But of course, it's normal office coffee.
I put 3 packets of splenda and a packet of creamer (usually mocha coffee-mate, but that's not always available).

This is my mug:
127180811v5_240x240_Front.jpg

S

scubersteve

I found some crazy african grounds from starbucks...
They seemed to taste okay.

But my favourite coffee by far has to be this crazy foreign stuff my sister brought back from argentina...
It was so yummy smelling.

EDIT:
I usually take my coffees no sugar, 1 cream

Szyslak

Nudibranch Lover
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I love coffee.
wub.gif

My favorite is a well-made cappuccino, but my every day drink is just normal drip-brewed coffee. Every once in a while I get out my French Press for a richer tasting brew.

cubin', what you're using looks similar to what I would consider a percolator, but probably produces coffee that is more like Espresso. I'm going to have to see if I can find one of those.

I drank coffee black for most of my life, but I've had to start adding some cream to help neutralize the acid. My stomach isn't what it used to be.

As for types of coffee, I'm a fan of Green Mountain, or there's this great little place where I live that roasts their own blends. I love the smell of that place.

On a side note, I heard that the best tasting coffee in the world comes from the beans that pass through the digestive system of the Indonesian palm civet (monkey / cat type animal). I tried it with my cat, but I can't say the coffee was all that great. The cat's been better too.

S

scubersteve

Szyslak said:
On a side note, I heard that the best tasting coffee in the world comes from the beans that pass through the digestive system of the Indonesian palm civet (monkey / cat type animal). I tried it with my cat, but I can't say the coffee was all that great. The cat's been better too.
Your cat drinks coffee?
That's probobly the most interesting thing I've heard all month.

Pici

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm the ultimate coffee drinker.
My parents used to give me coffee at the age of 5 or 6.
Since, coffee has no effect on me, but i really do like it.
I drink about 7 coffee a day, of all sorts, at the high school I drink 3 or 4 crappy 50 cent coffee but at home I drink good coffee.

A big cup of Nescafé in the morning and when i go back to home I use my own coffeemaker (it is in my bedroom eh)

This one :
593_z_1.jpg

All sorts are good, espicially the expresso. (the brand is Carte Noire)

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
I can't stand coffee and luckily I don't depend on it.
I used to have to wake up real early in the mornings all the time and I used to drink a bit of coffee to get keep myself awake (with about 500 spoons of sugar and a liter of milk) but nowadays I manage to stay up the one morning I do have to get up early.
However any other day doesn't start till 11 am for me
biggrin.gif

jpxdude

Trophies
Website
www.geekpower.co.uk
XP
Country
Szyslak said:
I love coffee.
wub.gif

My favorite is a well-made cappuccino, but my every day drink is just normal drip-brewed coffee. Every once in a while I get out my French Press for a richer tasting brew.

cubin', what you're using looks similar to what I would consider a percolator, but probably produces coffee that is more like Espresso. I'm going to have to see if I can find one of those.

I drank coffee black for most of my life, but I've had to start adding some cream to help neutralize the acid. My stomach isn't what it used to be.

As for types of coffee, I'm a fan of Green Mountain, or there's this great little place where I live that roasts their own blends. I love the smell of that place.

Tried the civet digested coffee, and it tastes like crap
tongue.gif

My favourite coffee is starbucks branded Kenya Bold, which tastes awesome out of an expresso machine. Nescafe instant is also good. I thought about growing coffee myself, but for even a few beans to develop, it takes at least 4 years
frown.gif

This thread has inspired me to make a cup of coffee now
lecture.gif

Little

I r Little
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have the exact same drinks machine as Pici.

I love my tassimo machine. The hot chocolate from it (suchards) is delicious. I love the kenco lattes. Only down sides are that the local supermarkets only do a tiny selection of the pods =(

My morning latte's are my biggest vice though =( Coffee is so bad for you, I wish I wasn't so addicted =( I need it to be awake though.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm...interesting stuff. You wouldn't think that the method would make much of a difference, but after working with tiny components to fix various machines, I believe it.

I wouldn't call myself a coffee expert, but I loves me some coffee -- good and strong -- that's why I'm willing to shell out for Starbuck's over-priced stuff once in a while as a treat. But something like this would be nice to have in the house. However, I doubt I'd use it regularly, simply because of the convenience of a regular drip maker.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Had to break down and turn on my AC today. 89 degrees in May. Bet August/September is gonna be...