Hacking Comparison of 3DS Flash Carts/Features - ON HIATUS (9/3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyogre123

Mexican Pride
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
lol I got all excited over a delay. Anyways, not complaining at all, I'm still not ready for multirom since my new MicroSD hasn't arrived yet :P

By the way, happy new year to every European, Asian and Australian/ New Zealander GBAtempers!

Skiller23

Trophies
XP
Country
Antigua and Barbuda
great news, i bought a GW and it was shipped yesterday, i hope it will arrive with the release of 2.0 FW

Huntereb

Trophies
Website
lewd.pics
XP
Country
United States
I forgot to tell everyone, but due to a mistake in shipping and such, I received a Gateway card free, along with my two R4i's (I got one of those free too because of a reseller mistake). I haven't used the Gateway yet, because I'm still using the R4, but if anyone needs any questions answered about it, I can throw some at you in the noob thread.

I'm saying this because of my obvious feelings toward the Gateway card, which I'm afraid won't change much just because I own it now.

bkifft

avowed Cuthwaldian
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
So then by this, our 3DS wouldn't need to be on the 4.1~.5 range of firmware?
No, the system firmware of the 3DS will still need to be between 4.1 and 4.5.

This update just annonces that the emunand which is kinda like a virtual machine (dear techsavy tempers, I'm well aware that it isn't. I'm just trying to get the message across, and I'd bet that most don't know about the kexec() system call or the good old QEMM quickboot (damn it I'm old) which would be way better analogies) that is running on the 3DS is updateable to 7.1.

All the "supports 7.1" claims on pages out in the wild are (as of now) just poorly and confusing worded.

Reactions: d.d.d.

Skyrider

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

This update just annonces that the emunand which is kinda like a virtual machine (dear techsavy tempers, I'm well aware that it isn't. I'm just trying to get the message across, and I'd bet that most don't know about the kexec() system call or the good old QEMM quickboot (damn it I'm old) which would be way better analogies) that is running on the 3DS is updateable to 7.1.

All the "supports 7.1" claims on pages out in the wild are (as of now) just poorly and confusing worded.

Ya, I've emailed them about 3/4 days ago if they could alter the words to prevent confusion but it appears they haven't mailed back to me.

d.d.d.

Trophies
XP
Country

So the 3DS flashcart still requires a 4.1~.5 FW but the cart can emulate up to 7.1 on an emuNAND... Okay. That makes sense. I guess I'll just hope that newer flashcarts will support newer FWs later on. Thanks for the clarification~

Skyrider

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
So the 3DS flashcart still requires a 4.1~.5 FW but the cart can emulate up to 7.1 on an emuNAND... Okay. That makes sense. I guess I'll just hope that newer flashcarts will support newer FWs later on. Thanks for the clarification~

It's not the newer flashcards that will probably support it, it's the exploit that was found between 4.1 and 4.5 that made the 3DS flashcards possible. Nintendo has fixed the exploit (above 4.5) so a new exploit has to be found in order for it to work on later versions, but that chance is very slim at the moment.

d.d.d.

Trophies
XP
Country
It's not the newer flashcards that will probably support it, it's the exploit that was found between 4.1 and 4.5 that made the 3DS flashcards possible. Nintendo has fixed the exploit (above 4.5) so a new exploit has to be found in order for it to work on later versions, but that chance is very slim at the moment.
So then unless someone finds a new exploit, or finds how to downgrade FW, I need to hunt for a used 3DS with a low FW... crap.

bkifft

avowed Cuthwaldian
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Reactions: d.d.d.

badbob001

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When the clone makers cloned the GW, why didn't they clone the circuits exactly the same and so they wouldn't currently have this supposed non-upgradability issue? Did someone at Clone Inc actually study the GW design and decide that certain connections are not needed to run the firmware and skipped the extra work? I usually thought that clone makers simply bribed the actual manufacturer factory to get access to the design plans or excess/flawed product runs. I would not be surprised if the clone cards are made the exact same factory!

Or maybe the clone makers cloned a prototype GW card that was purposefully lacking all the features, which is similar to the designs you see in patents. Or maybe GW pre-programmed something in one of the chips that can't be easily accessed and has yet to be accessed with the software released so far, and so the clone makers designed around what seemed like an unneeded feature.

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
When the clone makers cloned the GW, why didn't they clone the circuits exactly the same and so they wouldn't currently have this supposed non-upgradability issue? Did someone at Clone Inc actually study the GW design and decide that certain connections are not needed to run the firmware and skipped the extra work? I usually thought that clone makers simply bribed the actual manufacturer factory to get access to the design plans or excess/flawed product runs. I would not be surprised if the clone cards are made the exact same factory!

Or maybe the clone makers cloned a prototype GW card that was purposefully lacking all the features, which is similar to the designs you see in patents. Or maybe GW pre-programmed something in one of the chips that can't be easily accessed and has yet to be accessed with the software released so far, and so the clone makers designed around what seemed like an unneeded feature.
Or maybe they just took an old layout from themselves and decided that they won't update their firmware.

bkifft

avowed Cuthwaldian
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The

Or they simply pruned out every piece of circuitry which they deemed not absolutely necessary ("Oh look: this 40 cent microcontroller, these resistors for 5 cents and this led for 1 cent don't seem to serve any purpose, so lets nix them. Oh, and we can use a smaller/weaker main chip as it's not fully utilized, which costs 30 cent less. That's 76 cent less per unit!")

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guide now includes all features of each firmware update for each respective flash cart. I would like to thank Cyan for providing me this information with his helpful topic in the GBAtemp Wiki!

Reactions: PolyChrome
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    @SylverReZ that reminds me that my friend sells CRTs he gets cheap or free for hundreds of dollars. people are dumb
    +1
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    And is incredibly annoying.
    man I just washed my shoes and they look exactly the same as before I washed them :|
    luckily they didn't fall apart
    Some CRTs are very much worth the price
    i used to go out to the recycling center every couple weeks and look at the crts and other electronics people would drop off. Usually screens were broken or severely scratched from being tossed around. Did find a good one here and there, but never anything like a 1080i widescreen crt.
    Or a good contition 40" Sony Trini that weighs 300 lbs. lol
    Literally 300 lbs. lolol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I have a few of those boat anchors in my basement I tried giving away but no one wanted them, So anyone close to Columbus, Ohio area that wants them, (26", 2x 19") please come get, for free.
    Dont know anyone wants those smaller ones. Most are after larger sizes and the kinda top of the line models
    Motion handling and input lag on those things destroy plasmas, led, oled
    I had some really nice CRTs I should've kept
    now I have all lcd
    one in particular I regret getting rid of oh well :|
    the Sonys and stuff I don't care about
    and used LCD are hard to sell I can imagine.. not worth much
    @SylverReZ where do u lurk
  • a_username_that_isnt_cool @ a_username_that_isnt_cool:
    Is it piracy if it was released for free? Not in my opinion, but I also think it's not piracy if buying it isn't owning it, and it's not piracy if you can't buy it from the original creators anymore.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Free release can have loopholes where they still make money through ads
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    sigh
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @a_username_that_isnt_cool, could you change your username?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i guess not...
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    anybody here?
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: anybody here?