Homebrew Concerns about Update 11.8.0-41

juccatan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With the latest 3DS update coming out, I was wondering what kind of actions we can take for the people who have accidentally updated thinking it was safe.

With the news that Nintendo has added a new security patch that was previously used on the switch, what are some things we can do to prevent getting banned when using freeshop downloaded copies of games or CFW?

Additionally if 11.8 is an update that can't be migrated to, is there a method of downgrading to a lower firmware on 11.8?

Is there even hope for people who are on 11.8 or does this seem like the end of the line?

WaluigiMan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The patch only applys when INSTALLING a game (in sleep mode) not while you play it, So you are fine using the games you allready downloaded but you should stop downloading from the freeshop.
You can downgrade to 11.7 if you got a nand backup of 11.7
You can still use FBI to install cias or Villian3ds
So 11.8 is fine just avoid the Freeshop and dont use cheats online

Reactions: juccatan

juccatan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The patch only applys when INSTALLING a game (in sleep mode) not while you play it, So you are fine using the games you allready downloaded but you should stop downloading from the freeshop.
Thank you, that clears up many of my concerns, I thought that the patch was that when you played a game, or started to load up a game that isn't legit, it sends information to Nintendo saying it isn't a legit copy of the game, and you'll end up getting banned.

Reactions: WaluigiMan

Bondgirl85

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Can you still go to a website and download from there via QR code?

mike a

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I never play online, so should I just stay on 11.7 and still use freeshop, or what else is a good alternative.

mike a

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean I kinda care lol.. Cuz i have never ever even tried it, but it's not too important. Basically I use Wi-Fi from coffee shops etc, and can't play online like a normal person. But I have a question; if I had a friends friend code, could I play online that way?

And a have a few bucks on eshop still lol can I use that?

WaluigiMan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I mean I kinda care lol.. Cuz i have never ever even tried it, but it's not too important. Basically I use Wi-Fi from coffee shops etc, and can't play online like a normal person. But I have a question; if I had a friends friend code, could I play online that way?

And a have a few bucks on eshop still lol can I use that?

well only till nintendo forces you to update for online play even with friends but when you are on 11.8 just make sure to not use freeshop and you should be good to go

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it is best to get the game off somewhere else than Freeshop due to the way 11.8 network installation manager work, it sends an encrypted copy of app ticket on the system to nintendo server.

V-Temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it is best to get the game off somewhere else than Freeshop due to the way 11.8 network installation manager work, it sends an encrypted copy of app ticket on the system to nintendo server.

The auth isn't yet being enforced, hence why villain3DS works, as 11.7 is still valid and Nintendo is not yet enforcing sending the encrypted auth but when it is forced, even PC downloaders will cease to function as they would not have the ticket. The whole turn over will happen when Nintendo does maintenance on their servers because they're going to be enforcing this on both 3DS and Switch.

Switch is what brought it about as people began trying to do freeshop on Switch under the threat of superbans. They're going to move all/most of the CDN behind valid purchase authentication.

Reactions: Hayato213

mike a

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The auth isn't yet being enforced, hence why villain3DS works, as 11.7 is still valid and Nintendo is not yet enforcing sending the encrypted auth but when it is forced, even PC downloaders will cease to function as they would not have the ticket. The whole turn over will happen when Nintendo does maintenance on their servers because they're going to be enforcing this on both 3DS and Switch.

Switch is what brought it about as people began trying to do freeshop on Switch under the threat of superbans. They're going to move all/most of the CDN behind valid purchase authentication.

So are you saying that in 2 weeks freeshop won't work anymore

V-Temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So are you saying that in 2 weeks freeshop won't work anymore

It will happen whenever Nintendo puts the aauth infront of the CDN and starts enforcing it. Firmware has the tools to do it now.

They can definitely track it now, though, because now they expect calls to download. FreeShop will send bad calls, so it's obvious what's going on.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    bassviolet @ bassviolet: America ya~