Hardware Confirmed: 3DS can operate in DSi mode

campbell00

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
According to a post on SIliconera.com, the upcoming Pokemon games utilize a live video chat feature:

"If you play Pokémon Black & White on a Nintendo DSi or 3DS, you’ll have access to something you don’t on the DS Lite — video chat, using the inbuilt camera(s), both locally and over Wi-Fi"

Unless the games can detect differences between the 3DS and the DSi (Why would it need to?), this confirms that any Dsi software will be playable with the 3DS.

On a semi-unrelated note, this probably isn't good news to pirates....

http://www.siliconera.com/2010/07/12/pokem...ure-video-chat/

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It was always obvious the 3DS would work in DSi mode, why wouldn't it?

More interest to some people (not me) is that's it's suggesting Black & White will have a video mode on the DSi.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's like they've jumped up since having PictoChat that was only for local wireless.
mellow.gif

Remember that video about PictoChat when they were worried about people finding children through it?
rofl.gif

specht

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Diamond/Pearl/Platinum/Heart Gold/Soul Silver all have voice chat over Wi-Fi, this is just the next logical step. (still no idea where the video would show up...)

I assume since it's fully backward compatible, I'd expect the 3DS to run in DSi mode... And there's no questioning that it'll play the DSiWare titles as well.

indask8

New Member Forever
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I guess this video chat feature will be only availlable via friend code...

Or else, it's gonna end up like chatroulette.
laugh.gif

*Wild ekans appear*

*ekans use wank*

*It's super effective*

shamiko_

~
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
oh, this is interesting, though i only have a ds lite atm but im gonna get a 3DS when it comes out soon
but i not gonna get pokemeon (i don't play it anyway
nyanya.gif
)
im sure mkds2 will have this feature

Nepeta

:33
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Thoob said:
LOL, not sure video chat is too good an idea for a Pokemon game. So I'm guessing the 3DS now has 3 modes: 3DS mode, DSi mode and DS mode.

Why would they put DS mode if they can already play DS games AND DSi games with DSi mode, using higher processing abilities etc. etc.? DS will die soon. (original)

dhjohn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Brian10122 said:
Thoob said:
LOL, not sure video chat is too good an idea for a Pokemon game. So I'm guessing the 3DS now has 3 modes: 3DS mode, DSi mode and DS mode.

Why would they put DS mode if they can already play DS games AND DSi games with DSi mode, using higher processing abilities etc. etc.? DS will die soon. (original)

Because DSi mode doesn't play DS games. DS games are ran in DS mode on the DSi. Also, not running a game with the specs it was made for for can cause strange problems to occur when devs develop a game highly dependent on how fast the system is (DS mode on the DSi underclocks the processor to DS speeds).

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm just speculating, but I figure that shortly after the 3DS launch, they will switch from DS/DSi development, to DSi/3DS development. Actually they probably already have stopped any NEW development projects for the regular DS, there are likely just remnant games CURRENTLY in development still left coming for the regular DS platform. But after that, it will be bye-bye to the regular DS. Especially if the 3DS sells as well as they expect it to. It only stands to reason that they would not actively support 3 handheld platforms at the same time. Could be why that Prof. Layton game got bumped to an earlier release date. This may just be the last year for new DSlite games, except for stragglers that took longer than anticipated to develop....if they don't bump them up to DSi games or just scrap them instead.

mangaTom

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
So in other words,some jap titles may not be released in other countries and the fast early release of the localized versions of well known titles such as prof layton and ghost trick,and probably also golden sun right? So that explains it.Well based only Rayder's statement. :sleep:Though I still don't know about Pokemon Black/White,well it would be good if we can play it 3ds.

NumberXIIIEdwin

Jack In! MegaMan, Execute!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
as long as i get my 3d pokemon im happy... does anyone even use video chat anymore??? i wanted black for the new pokemon and the improved graphics and the high link im going to play this one forever
gba.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9w_UTPpHjg