Consoles vs. Computer

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Gaming started on consoles [sans Arcade], and gaming will die on consoles. I've always preferred my FPS' with a controller over a mouse and keyboard any day of the week.

QUOTE said:
But try comparing the price of all console to one pc.

What? That's the dumbest fucking argument I've ever read. You're not supposed to compare them ALL to just ONE pc.

That's like me saying "Compare the price of ALL computers to one console".. not that fair is it?

Whatever, home consoles win. They're far superior, games are developed for them.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
pc
negative
expensive graphics cards that you have to upgrade EACH time a new game comes out (why do you think pc games are so cheap?)
stuck on desk chair, no confy sofa for you!
to play most recent games you need a very good computer which will cost even more money! + graphic card upgrade each time!
game installs before playing entering the serial no e.t.c extreme measures to install the game thanks to very high piracy on the pc.

posotive

cheat trainers for pc games you can cheat in any recent game you want with no penalties you can also hack and mod any part of the game, a good exsample of this is fallout 3/new vegas.
better graphics than console games and sharper (but at a price to your wallet)
hardware upgrade your pc with better custom case designs graphics cards and so on.
no firmware updates forced opon your system, you can upgrade when you want to upgrade.

console
negative
closed system so no hacking mods or game trainers high risk of bans from console manifacturers
if the console breaks down you have to get a new one with limited warrenty.
no hardware mods, cannot upgrade the graphics card (apart from remove and upgrade the hard drive)
less detail in graphics compared to pc games low resolutions
constant forced firmware updates removal of features vandalisim of your property bricks courption
lack of offline 2 player split screen seems to be a rare breed ths feature now.

posotive
every game you buy you will never need to upgrade the specs, just buy the game put the game disc in and play (excludes ps3 bc of game installs)
hdmi 1080p upscaling
confort of your very own sofa, not hunched up on a desk chair for long hours.
get to use controller pads which are included with the console, you don't have to buy seperatly (unless you need extra pads for multiplayer)
nice big hd screens to play your games on 50" and so on.

sorry for spelling, my spell checker is not working.

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
jalaneme said:
pc
negative
expensive graphics cards that you have to upgrade EACH time a new game comes out (why do you think pc games are so cheap?)
to play most recent games you need a very good computer which will cost even more money! + graphic card upgrade each time!
game installs before playing entering the serial no e.t.c extreme measures to install the game thanks to very high piracy on the pc.

posotive

cheat trainers for pc games you can cheat in any recent game you want with no penalties you can also hack and mod any part of the game, a good exsample of this is fallout 3/new vegas.
hardware upgrade your pc with better custom case designs graphics cards and so on.
no firmware updates forced opon your system, you can upgrade when you want to upgrade.

console
negative
closed system so no hacking mods or game trainers high risk of bans from console manifacturers
no hardware mods, cannot upgrade the graphics card (apart from remove and upgrade the hard drive)
constant forced firmware updates removal of features vandalisim of your property bricks courption

posotive
every game you buy you will never need to upgrade the specs, just buy the game put the game disc in and play (excludes ps3 bc of game installs)
hdmi 1080p upscaling
get to use controller pads which are included with the console, you don't have to buy seperatly (unless you need extra pads for multiplayer)

sorry for spelling, my spell checker is not working.
Great, 2 things to add though.
You can use the computer on a nice 50" TV and for Computers another negative, you can't do multiplayer without more than one computer.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
FireGrey said:
You can use the computer on a nice 50" TV and for Computers another negative, you can't do multiplayer without more than one computer.

so it's more or less like console gaming then, you need 2 ps3s to play multiplayer with 2 people in the same house.

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
jalaneme said:
FireGrey said:

so it's more or less like console gaming then, you need 2 ps3s to play multiplayer with 2 people in the same house.
No you just need 1 console and 2 controllers...

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
jalaneme said:
pc
negative

posotive

-Not all PC games are cheap, on Steam maybe, but not all of them.
-Desk Chair? Shit man, it's not that hard to get an amazingly comfy chair. But even then, that's not a computers fault.
-You have to do game installs on consoles for a lot of games. Especially if you want to drastically eliminate loading times.

-Cheating and hacking is for pussies. I always considered that a negative.
-Custom Case designs? Like transparent casing? Yeah.. you can do that on consoles too.
-Not if a developer forces you to update you boot the game.
QUOTEconsole
negative

posotive
hdmi 1080p upscaling

-Again hacking and training is crap. If you can't play through the game right without using some trainers, you shouldn't have the game.
-No, it's called contacting the company, and they repair it. If your PC parts break down, you have to go out and get new ones.
-Why would you need to update your card when the games are developed for consoles?
-I'm confused about your forced firmware updates... that sentence doesn't even make sense.
-Dude.. there's no two player split screen on the PC :/ There's two player split screen on the home consoles.

-hdmi 1080p only if the game is designed to look that way. Some games don't go that high.
-Again, the computer chair, that's the buyers fault. I've sat in a lot of comfy computer chairs that are just like Lazy Boys.
-Get to use controller pads? Uh.. that's not a feature...
-You can use HDTV screens to play your computer games.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
FireGrey said:
jalaneme said:
FireGrey said:

nope, games that don't have offline split screen, you have to play via lan or online via your PSN ID, that is how me and my partner play multiplayer.

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
jalaneme said:
FireGrey said:
jalaneme said:
FireGrey said:

nope, games that don't have offline split screen, you have to play via lan or online via your PSN ID, that is how me and my partner play multiplayer.
WTF but most multiplayer games have multiplayer split screen.
It's not common to have no Split Screen and just LAN and Wi-fi.

BobTheJoeBob

The most optimistic person on the temp. :)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
jalaneme said:
FireGrey said:
jalaneme said:
FireGrey said:

Alot of games do have offline multiplayer screen. Like black ops for example.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
ShadowSoldier said:
pc
-Not all PC games are cheap, on Steam maybe, but not all of them.
regardless when i go into game uk stores pc games are always cheaper than console games, around £10 cheaper.
-Desk Chair? Shit man, it's not that hard to get an amazingly comfy chair. But even then, that's not a computers fault.
still you are still confined to the pc screen, it's not like you can put a sofa in front of a pc, can you?
-You have to do game installs on consoles for a lot of games. Especially if you want to drastically eliminate loading times.
yeah, i did mention that in my post, on top of that the xbox 360 has a option to install the whole game
-Cheating and hacking is for pussies. I always considered that a negative.
ok your opinion but when you can do mods like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZEmLckB9kw you won't have anything to say about the matter, besides this topic is not about who and who cannot cheat, it's about a debate of consoles vs pc!
-Custom Case designs? Like transparent casing? Yeah.. you can do that on consoles too.
to a degree yes, but pc mods are much more customisable, hell i have even seen a pc internal parts inside a fishbowl! (bioshock themed) have you seen anyone do that to a ps3 or xbox 360? didn't think so...
-Not if a developer forces you to update you boot the game.
yeah but because pcs are so highly customizable you can stop any updates and most updates on pc games you have to install them yourself anyways so they are not really forced are they?

console

-Again hacking and training is crap. If you can't play through the game right without using some trainers, you shouldn't have the game.
your personal opinion
-No, it's called contacting the company, and they repair it. If your PC parts break down, you have to go out and get new ones.
not when it comes to sony it doesn't, after a year sony basically say fuck off pay us to repair it or get it fixed yourself, on top of that in europe we only get a limited 1 year warranty with electrical goods which include consoles, the same would go for pc hardware aswell, it breaks you have to replace it yourself after 1 year.
-Why would you need to update your card when the games are developed for consoles?
erm, i was talking about pc games not console games
-I'm confused about your forced firmware updates... that sentence doesn't even make sense.
let me make it nice and simple for you to understand:
sony releases new firmware update, you are unable to go online unless you update, if you don't update the console you loose:

all psn games that you have rightly payed for on the psn store.
all recent ps3 games that have firmware updates on the disc you cannot play even if you have payed for them.
same for blu ray movies with firmware updates.
no online gaming either.
so if the firmware update is buggy as hell and bricks your console and you are forced to update what would you do? you would have no choice to update, nintendo do the same thing, microsoft do the same thing, this is called forced firmware update

-Dude.. there's no two player split screen on the PC :/ There's two player split screen on the home consoles.
again i was talking about consoles! and yes i know pc games don't have split screens either
-hdmi 1080p only if the game is designed to look that way. Some games don't go that high.
if the game and your tv supports it, you will get 1080p, regardless if the game or whatever media is not supposed to look that way it will be upscaled anyway, you haven't seen the ps2 HD remakes on the ps3 have you?
-Again, the computer chair, that's the buyers fault. I've sat in a lot of comfy computer chairs that are just like Lazy Boys.
see other answer related to this.
-Get to use controller pads? Uh.. that's not a feature...
yeah it is when it's included in the box, how many times have you brought a pc and there is not controller in the box? i rest my case.
-You can use HDTV screens to play your computer games.
no shit Sherlock!

answers in bold!

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
BobTheJoeBob said:
jalaneme said:
FireGrey said:
jalaneme said:
FireGrey said:

Anyway consoles such as nintendo always have split screen if they have multiplayer, or both players on one screen like Brawl.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
FireGrey said:
Anyway consoles such as nintendo always have split screen if they have multiplayer, or both players on one screen like Brawl.

yeah i didn't include wii games, wii games ALWAYS have split screen multiplayer that's why it's the best console for multiplayer fun, it's only the HD consoles that don't have this option is a lot of games, a real shame really.

BobTheJoeBob

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
jalaneme said:
BobTheJoeBob said:

nope, not in this day and age, this a very rare feature, it's all online multiplayer now! research it on google and then come back and answer me.

Wait. Are you saying black ops doesn't have splitscreen? Or are you just talking about in general?

QUOTE(unnkown95 @ Dec 23 2010, 02:45 PM)
a pc will always be superior
Nice statement. Care to back it up?

unnkown95

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i mean with a pc not only can it be used for gaming but of course it can be used for everything else. Of course you can run linux on a ps3 but it is not even in comparison to a pc. The ps3 and xbox 360 have like 6 core proccessrors which are great for gaming but for running linux or someother os on it they will suck , a pc's proccessor can be used for everything. I mean if you take a sony ps3 vs. a pc with an i3 proccessor in it there is no way the ps3 can stand a chance.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
jalaneme said:
regardless when i go into game uk stores pc games are always cheaper than console games, around £10 cheaper.
-I'm not customed to UK stores, here in Canada, it's different.
still you are still confined to the pc screen, it's not like you can put a sofa in front of a pc, can you?
- http://officechairparts.net/wp-content/upl...ather-chair.jpg
You sit on that, and tell me that it's still a negative. That chair is one of the best things I have ever sat on, a lot better than A LOT of sofa's.
ok your opinion but when you can do mods like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZEmLckB9kw you won't have anything to say about the matter, besides this topic is not about who and who cannot cheat, it's about a debate of consoles vs pc!
-Thought you were referring to hacking the game to get further into it, so you can skip parts.
to a degree yes, but pc mods are much more customisable, hell i have even seen a pc internal parts inside a fishbowl! (bioshock themed) have you seen anyone do that to a ps3 or xbox 360? didn't think so...
-Why the fuck would you WANT to do that?

console

not when it comes to sony it doesn't, after a year sony basically say fuck off pay us to repair it or get it fixed yourself, on top of that in europe we only get a limited 1 year warranty with electrical goods which include consoles, the same would go for pc hardware aswell, it breaks you have to replace it yourself after 1 year.
-Again, different here in Canada, didn't know it was different per region.

let me make it nice and simple for you to understand:
sony releases new firmware update, you are unable to go online unless you update, if you don't update the console you loose:

all psn games that you have rightly payed for on the psn store.
all recent ps3 games that have firmware updates on the disc you cannot play even if you have payed for them.
same for blu ray movies with firmware updates.
no online gaming either.
so if the firmware update is buggy as hell and bricks your console and you are forced to update what would you do? you would have no choice to update, nintendo do the same thing, microsoft do the same thing, this is called forced firmware update

-K.

again i was talking about consoles! and yes i know pc games don't have split screens either
-I'm saying you pointed out that consoles don't have split screen, yet you didn't put that as a negative for a pc. Also, A LOT of games have split screen... you should try some.

if the game and your tv supports it, you will get 1080p, regardless if the game or whatever media is not supposed to look that way it will be upscaled anyway, you haven't seen the ps2 HD remakes on the ps3 have you?
-They're made in 1080p that's why. If a game isn't designed for it, no matter what you do, you're not going to get 1080p with that game.

yeah it is when it's included in the box, how many times have you brought a pc and there is not controller in the box? i rest my case.
-Because majority of everything is controlled with a keyboard and mouse....

no shit Sherlock!
Then you should have added it for a PC pro as well. Just like how I can use a PC monitor as my console video output...

BobTheJoeBob

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
unnkown95 said:
i mean with a pc not only can it be used for gaming but of course it can be used for everything else. Of course you can run linux on a ps3 but it is not even in comparison to a pc. The ps3 and xbox 360 have like 6 core proccessrors which are great for gaming but for running linux or someother os on it they will suck , a pc's proccessor can be used for everything. I mean if you take a sony ps3 vs. a pc with an i3 proccessor in it there is no way the ps3 can stand a chance.
We're talking about for gaming. Anything else the platform can do is irrelevant.

DeviousTom

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@jalaneme
I'm pretty sure the main reason for the PC price difference is that for console games, creators need to pay fees to Microsoft or Sony, but for a PC there are no such fees. As for constantly buying video cards, if you buy a mid-high end card, it should last you 3 years just fine (priced from around $200-$350). Just my opinion, but I think paying $200-$400 every 3 years to upgrade my PC isn't really that bad, since I'll be playing the games I want and like to play at a display that is significantly higher than that of a console, and my computer will be ready to stomp through any other intense software, besides gaming. In the end though I don't think I can say one is better than the other... I've been using a PC for gaming all my life and I LIKE it better, but there are plenty of people who don't touch PCs and just play on console and they're perfectly happy and thats just fine as well.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • light27 @ light27:
    wait what? oh
  • light27 @ light27:
    my bad
  • light27 @ light27:
    happy birthday
  • light27 @ light27:
    OIP.19q3E5NK_Mdn0K35CZWrWQHaJ4
    for you bro
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @light27, it's actually tommorrow but thx
  • light27 @ light27:
    oh it’s the least I could do
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, stop stealing my phrases
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    why
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, it's not funny
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    ok
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wut?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's not funny
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    So two cannibals where eating a clown and one says to the other. Hey does this taste funny to you?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What do you call a slow car? Retired
    +1
    Did you hear about the police car that someone stole the wheels off of? The police are working tirelessly to find the thieves.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A firefighter got arrested for assault his main claim was what I was told he was on fire
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What do you call a hooker with a runny nose? Full
    +1
    What do you tell a woman with two black eyes? Nothing you already told her twice!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Diddy also works
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A scientist heard the word batman so he put a naked lady in a cage with a bat
    Chuck Norris won a staring contest, with the sun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A vampires favorite thing to do is moon you
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What's the difference between an airplane, and Ken's mom? Not everyone has been in an airplane.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: What's the difference between an airplane, and Ken's mom? Not everyone has been in an airplane.