Hardware Controller Disconnecting At Certain Games?

Reaga

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd like to preface this with the fact that I'm aware this is likely my fault. But I'm unclear what I could have messed up and am looking for a narrow down of what may be happening.

The scenario:
I bought and installed the ExtremeRate LED panel for 2 of my 3 PS5 controllers, the midnight black model from the first batch of colored controllers. My wife's is the light blue one from later and it's stock, no modifications and never taken apart.

For those unfamiliar with the kit, it's an LED panel and replacement buttons that let me light up the controller by going over the regular panel, and hooking into it to intercept inputs to allow turning it on/off. It draws some power from the battery but a minimalistic amount and only when turned on.

The 2 black ones are having difficulty with 2 particular games: Stray, and the PS5 version of FF7R. I think it's the rumble in particular, as in Stray it would do it only when scratching things and in FF7 it always happens in the hectic parts of battle. This occurs on full battery.

The blue controller is fine and stands the test of both of these no problem.

The black ones are fine with every PS4 game I've played, and with Yakuza 7 at least. It was also fine for my entire run of Elden Ring.

When they turn off, they often take 2-3 attempts to reconnect. And sometimes, reconnecting doesn't go as planned and the controller will freeze with the light on and accept no input whatsoever. When this occurs, I can connect another controller and it's treated as Player 1 implying it didn't finish connecting, but the controller will still turn off when the PS5 does so it's still receiving some bluetooth signal.

Looking for a good place to get started on trying to fix this myself instead of buying new controllers.

Reaga

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've recently aso found out my black controllers are an older model with FCID ending in 1, which are known to be more susceptible to hardware issues such as drift and trigger issues. I'm wondering if that's related, but a new controller and panel is a lot to get for testing to see if that's the issue.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've recently aso found out my black controllers are an older model with FCID ending in 1, which are known to be more susceptible to hardware issues such as drift and trigger issues. I'm wondering if that's related, but a new controller and panel is a lot to get for testing to see if that's the issue.
I have an older white and an older red controller. they both are somewhat clumsy. the white controller is the one that came with the console. the newer models/colors are perfect. I don't know what it is about those early model controllers, but something does feel off with them. I mean the dualsense is the best controller I've held, fits the hands perfectly, but I immediately replaced the white controller when a new color was available.

Reaga

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For any who may have a similar issue, I have some updates:

Bought a new controller, still midnight black but the newer revision. It works, even after installing another kit.

Tested the faulty ones with the lighting mod on, as I had been kind of leaving it off for awhile. Lights stay on during disconnect, so I believe it's bluetooth and not power that's the issue.

One thing I noticed when taking it apart to get the more transparent buttons out for the new controller: There is a piece that is definitely loose. I can't find anything telling me what it is, but I think it's related.

It's a small metal rectangle with a little cube of foam or something stuck on the bottom, in the middle of the board. In the new controller it was staying on, in the old ones it is loose but fits into an alcove at the underside of the panel that goes above it.

If I'm right, I think vibration is disconnecting that and causing an issue. I could easily see this having just enough space to come off its spot when vibrating but little enough space to keep it oriented in the proper spot when the vibration settles back down.

I wonder if it's safe to use some sort of quick adhesive to keep that in place?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    MrNoobNub @ MrNoobNub: why is everyone so horny