Hardware Could someone help me figure out a way to McGuyver two monitors together from my laptop?

Nerdtendo

Your friendly neighborhood idiot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've got an interesting setup and am trying to be as cheap as possible. I have my main monitor, an Acer XV272U with 2 HDMI Ports and a DisplayPort. I have recently acquired a portable monitor with 2 Usb C ports which I believe are DisplayPort and a mini-HDMI. My laptop has one HDMI out, 3 USB 3.0, and one usb-c that is incapable of DisplayPort. With all of that relevant I/O, what is the most inexpensive way to use both monitors at once? I have a ton of random cables laying around, but I haven't figured out a solid way to connect them both. I'm thinking it might be possible to convert a USB port to HDMI, but I don't know enough about computers to know if that would actually work. Thanks in advance.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
I have seen, but not tried, relatively cheap USB video adapters. Although I wouldn’t expect much from these e.g. games.

Not to be confused with USB-C alt-mode.

So it may be hypothetically possible to use the HDMI port and a USB adapter together to allow for the two external displays.

edit:

Should ask, what do you plan on doing? E.g. mirroring, extended desktop, games, word, etc?

Last edited by tech3475,
Reactions: Nerdtendo

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you can extend the desktop with windows + p as well as send all images to the second monitor or just the first monitor, it's your choice.

Reactions: Nerdtendo

Nerdtendo

Your friendly neighborhood idiot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have seen, but not tried, relatively cheap USB video adapters. Although I wouldn’t expect much from these e.g. games.

Not to be confused with USB-C alt-mode.

So it may be hypothetically possible to use the HDMI port and a USB adapter together to allow for the two external displays.

edit:

Should ask, what do you plan on doing? E.g. mirroring, extended desktop, games, word, etc?
It'll mostly be office work or discord on the monitor I'm trying to setup right now so the quality isn't really an issue. I went ahead and bought a usb c-mini hdmi converter so we'll see what happens with that

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your laptop only have one display output HDMI, so you would need a monitor that allow you to power and display output via usb port.

Last edited by Hayato213,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/shdHKa4iBbE?si=Vnb_FMMV54y2aarW lol Mario give me cancer