• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Covid-19 vaccine

Will you get the vaccine?

• Yes

Votes: 500 67.1%
  • No

Votes: 245 32.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

NyaakoXD

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Damn, this Nin19 guy sure doesn't understand that masks aren't supposed to be 100% effective, but it's used to slow down the spread of the virus (and other viruses/diseases/etc.). Which is actually doing its job in places where many people wore masks have less trouble as compared to other places where many don't. Same goes for taking the vaccines and not taking one.

Wearing a mask adds another layer of protection to slow down the spread as much as possible. Again, same goes for the vaccines. The more layer of protections you have against the virus, the better the chances to not get infected by it or spreading it to other people. And even if you do get infected, vaccines can at least help lessen the worst effects of the virus so most folks don't end up in ER and having tubes in their mouths and throats because they can't breathe properly and other issues.

Last edited by NyaakoXD,

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From video:

NEEDLESS TO SAY AS THE POLITICAL HOT BUTTON BEYOND ANYTHING I'VE EVER SEEN IN PUBLIC HEALTH.

AND YET AT THE SAME TIME I THINK WE'VE ALL DONE A DISSERVICE TO THE PUBLIC.

WHEN YOU ACTUALLY LOOK AT FACE CLOTH COVERINGS, THOSE CLOTH PIECES OF HANG OVER YOUR FACE.

THEY ACTUALLY ONLY HAVE VERY LIMITED IMPACT IN REDUCING THE AMOUNT OF VIRUS THAT YOU INHALE IN OR EXHALE OUT.

AND IN FACT IN STUDIES THAT HAVE BEEN DONE SHOW THAT IF AN INDIVIDUAL MIGHT GET INFECTED WITHIN 15 MINUTES IN A ROOM, BY TIME AND CONCENTRATION OF THE VIRUS IN THE ROOM.

ADD A FACE CLOTH COVERING YOU ONLY GET ABOUT FIVE MORE MINUTES OF PROTECTION.

I'VE BEEN REALLY DISAPPOINTED WITH MY COLLEAGUES IN PUBLIC HEALTH FOR NOT BEING MORE CLEAR ABOUT WHAT CAN MASKING DO OR NOT DO.

Thank you for proving yourself wrong and posting things that agree with what everyone else has been trying to tell you. Can we put this discussion to bed now? Can you log back in to whatever your normal account is?

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research believes other medical professionals are doing us a disservice by over extending the benefits to these masks.

Which likely has lead to people getting Covid 19 when they were under the impression they had a safety net.

Not sure why you can't get that concept.

II even posted simple examples to illustrate how surgeons masks can't block it but N95 can.

He even comments that the same room you would get it in 15 minutes would take 25 hours with a properly worn N95 mask.

If you can't get how ineffective surgeons masks/cloth masks are, can't help you.
Whooaaaaa, easy there bucko, let's put those goalposts down before anyone gets hurt!

Everything you said in that last post is not at all what you were initially arguing!

jimbo13

Terry Crews #1 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even if masks stopped Cancer, Aids, Covid and made me shit bars of gold I wouldn't wear one until the nonsense hypocrisy stops. Tyranny and bourgeois behavior out of the political class and the mob mentality is and will continue to be more dangerous than Covid.

Last edited by jimbo13,

Valwinz

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
vaccine effectiveness falling fast.

Reactions: SG854

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Effectiveness is unchanged for the primary strain of COVID-19 that Moderna/Pfizer were tested against. J&J was still in the testing phase when the Delta variant was discovered, so it was tested against that and found to be 60% effective at preventing infection. Anybody who's been paying any attention at all knew that Moderna/Pfizer would have similar effectiveness.

What's far more important than preventing infection, however, is preventing serious illness, and all three of these vaccines are 90%+ effective in that category; even against Delta. Thus the reason 98% of new hospitalizations/serious cases of COVID come from the unvaccinated.

Last edited by Xzi,

jimbo13

Terry Crews #1 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I have to give Obama credit for not being a hypocrite apparently he did wear a mask at his birthday party.
235818324_252344273378955_2709567303264864217_n.jpg

djpannda

GBAtemp's Pannda
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

seany1990

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Even if masks stopped Cancer, Aids, Covid and made me shit bars of gold I wouldn't wear one until the nonsense hypocrisy stops. Tyranny and bourgeois behavior out of the political class and the mob mentality is and will continue to be more dangerous than Covid.

Save these epic quotes for when you give Granny's eulogy

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
  1. Decreased efficacy would be all the more reason for as many people to get vaccinated as soon as possible. The more people who are vaccinated, the less the virus is circulating. The less the virus is circulating, the less people will be exposed to the virus.
  2. Decreased efficacy would also show the importance of getting vaccinated and stopping the spread of the virus because it would show the risk associated with allowing new variants to pop up. New variants can be more infectious, more deadly, less effected by the vaccines.
  3. There is a lot of uncertainty about the efficacy of the vaccines against the delta variant, and it's a bold (and unsubstantiated) statement to say "the mRNA vaccines are definitely less than 80% effective against the delta variant." One of the problems is you're going to see higher rates of infection among the vaccinated when there are larger numbers of unvaccinated people in the area spreading the disease, and you're going to see lower rates of infection among the vaccinated when there are lower numbers of unvaccinated people in the area spreading the disease. Hypothetically, in an area with a lot of unvaccinated people and high transmission, there could be a cap on how many unvaccinated people get infected (i.e. the highest number of them who could be infected get infected), while the number of vaccinated people who get infected increases. This would skew the vaccine efficacy rate in the less effective (and incorrect) direction. These variables and others, like the natural immunity some in the unvaccinated population might have by contracting and spreading the virus in an reckless manner, need to be controlled for when ascertaining the true efficacy of the vaccines against the delta variant.
  4. In more controlled studies, the mRNA vaccines (specifically two doses of Pfizer) seem to offer about 80% efficacy against asymptomatic and symptomatic infections caused by the delta variant. They seem to offer about 96% efficacy against hospitalization caused by the delta variant. These are some of the best numbers we have from controlled studies.

Last edited by Lacius,

jimbo13

Terry Crews #1 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Save these epic quotes for when you give Granny's eulogy

My grandmother is 93 and was one of the first credentialed Nurse practitioners in the country she is married to a retired division head of infectious medicine at UC Davis California he's 98. Neither one are getting the vaccine, they have told all of our family not to get it and they snicker about people wearing masks with over 50 years of practice each.

They are doing just fine and will continue to do so.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even if masks stopped Cancer, Aids, Covid
That would be incredibly reckless and immoral of you if you had the power to significantly reduce the risk of yourself and others contracting these diseases (pretending cancer was infectious) but willfully did nothing to reduce the spread. You would have blood on your hands, but after our numerous conversations about the moral imperative associated with COVID-19 vaccination, I am not surprised. You care more about not getting vaccinated and not wearing masks than you do about your life and the lives of those around you.

I wouldn't wear one until the nonsense hypocrisy stops.
The hypothetical hypocrisy of some people is irrelevant to whether or not what that person is advocating should be done. For example, if a person who recommends wearing seatbelts doesn't themself wear a seatbelt, that doesn't mean you shouldn't wear a seatbelt.

Tyranny and bourgeois behavior out of the political class and the mob mentality is and will continue to be more dangerous than Covid.
COVID-19 is verifiably more dangerous than COVID-19 mitigations. I'd also like you to explain how COVID-19 mitigations are "tyrannical."

My grandmother is 93 and was one of the first credentialed Nurse practitioners in the country she is married to a retired division head of infectious medicine at UC Davis California he's 98. Neither one are getting the vaccine
If they aren't getting vaccinated, that's all the more reason for as many people as possible around them to get vaccinated. There are cases of people in similar situations who are getting vaccinated in secret so they can protect their family members without being shamed by them, and I think that's fine. What matters is they get vaccinated.

If you care about the health of your grandparents, the data is clear that you should get vaccinated.

Neither one are getting the vaccine, they have told all of our family not to get it and they snicker about people wearing masks with over 50 years of practice each.
We can care about people, and we can consider people worth protecting, even if they're stupid.

They are doing just fine and will continue to do so.
I hope they continue to be fine, but you don't know anymore than I do that this will be the case. I hope for their sake they live in the middle of nowhere and don't interact with a lot of people indoors. I also hope that the people who do interact with them are vaccinated, even if it's a secret. Even better, I hope they're secretly vaccinated.

jimbo13

Terry Crews #1 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We can care about people, and we can consider people worth protecting, even if they're stupid.

The stupid act would be disregard the advice of trained medical professionals, one with an expertise in infectious disease and nearly a 100 years between the two of them who I know care about my welfare and do as a malicious government full of liars wants.

Number one cause of death in history is Governments.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The stupid act would be disregard the advice of trained medical professionals
Then I suggest you stop disregarding the advice of the overwhelming number of relevant medical professionals, rather than focusing on two science-deniers you have an emotional bias towards.

who I know care about my welfare
People can allegedly (and actually) care about one's welfare while acting against that interest.

jimbo13

Terry Crews #1 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then I suggest you stop disregarding the advice of the overwhelming number of relevant medical professionals, rather than focusing on two science-deniers you have an emotional bias towards.

The majority is rarely right about anything, they are generally the ones torching the person who said the earth is round. No shortage of credible researchers and Doctors saying don't take it, the only criticism that is generally made of them was they stated the obvious. Experimental vaccines with no long term history of usage are not safe.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The majority is rarely right about anything, they are generally the ones torching the person who said the earth is round.
I hope the irony isn't lost on you that the overwhelming number of relevant professionals, as well as the overwhelming number if people in general, presently acknowledge the Earth is round.

Those who claimed the Earth was round embraced science, and those who refused to believe the Earth was round rejected science. That's the part that matters.

No shortage of credible researchers and Doctors saying don't take it
Relative to how many credible medical professionals highly recommend the vaccine, yes, there is indeed a shortage of credible researchers and doctors who don't recommend the vaccine.

the only criticism that is generally made of them was they stated the obvious.
The criticism is anti-vax and anti-mask rhetoric is unsubstantiated and anti-science drivel. Those who are anti-vaccine, for example, have yet to substantiate the claims they're making, and many of their claims have been debunked.

Saying the only criticism is they're "stating the obvious" is outright nonsense.

Experimental vaccines with no long term history of usage are not safe.
The COVID-19 vaccines have been more than demonstrated to be safe and effective. Full FDA approval of the vaccines is also imminent.

Last edited by Lacius,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Let's not forget that the current concern about vaccine efficacy against Delta is primarily caused by one Indian study which based its results on a vaccine that's not even approved for use in the U.S. - it's a slapstick Russian jab called Sputnik V that had lower efficacy compared to the American and European ones from the get-go, let alone now.

jimbo13

Terry Crews #1 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope the irony isn't lost on you that the overwhelming number of relevant professionals, as well as the overwhelming number if people in general, presently acknowledge the Earth is round.

Those who claimed the Earth was round embraced science, and those who refused to believe the Earth was round rejected science.

Relative to how many credible medical professionals highly recommend the vaccine, yes, there is indeed a shortage of credible researchers and doctors who don't recommend the vaccine.

The criticism is anti-vax and anti-mask rhetoric is unsubstantiated and anti-science drivel. Claims made by those who are anti-vaccine, for example, have yet to substantiate the claims they're making, and many of their claims have been debunked.

Saying the only criticism is they're "stating the obvious" is outright nonsense.

The COVID-19 vaccines have been more than demonstrated to be safe and effective. Full FDA approval of the vaccines is also imminent.

The FDA claims Marijuana is as dangerous as Heroin and sends SWAT teams to raid the Amish for selling natural cow milk, they have no credibility. Properly prescribed approved FDA drugs kill over 100K a year.

Your yellow sources don't sway anyone who is capable of independent thought, Institutional censorship is rampant. Just this week we have a duly elected senator whose a second generation doctor reading a peer reviewed paper being memory holed for doing so.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The FDA claims Marijuana is as dangerous as Heroin and sends SWAT teams to raid the Amish for selling natural cow milk, they have no credibility. Properly prescribed approved FDA drugs kill over 100K a year.

Your yellow sources don't sway anyone who is capable of independent thought, Institutional censorship is rampant. Just this week we have a duly elected senator whose a second generation doctor reading a peer reviewed paper being memory holed for doing so.
I'm only interested in what the science says. You should be too.

Also, are you arguing for the legalization of marijuana? How progressive of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol