• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Covid-19 vaccine

Will you get the vaccine?

• Yes

Votes: 500 67.1%
  • No

Votes: 245 32.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RocaBOT

Yo best puppy (but automated 🙃)
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Easy, he did not. Valwinz is as usual putting words in others' mouths, and as usual it's not even close to the truth of what they said. But aside from that we're the mad ones of course

Most likely he did not even read my answer and the link I provided with the full story that says it's research material specific to the Defense department, or any other reliable source that explains clearly that it will never be forced on anyone and that this kind of tech, if it makes it at all to public use (which might never happen for all we know) would be completely opt-in.

Last edited by RocaBOT,

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Been a few weeks, have the anti-vac crowd presented any evidence yet?
I guess this meme fits well
giphy.gif

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I do practice what I preach personally, I havent engaged in any of these birthday parties or festivals or whatever. What Im arguing with here isnt that media is hypocritical, but the notion that the hypocrisy is specific to left wing media. The original post claimed that the media all hammered trump but gives a pass to left wing groups. Yet right wing media did the exact opposite, but they apparently get a pass?
I would really suggest not wasting your time on jimbo. He’s just going to make something up or grab from some fridge far-right source. Either way, there’s no winning against him because he’s not up for changing when presented with evidence or anything else

SyphenFreht

As above, so below
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So just the same junk that's been debunked?

You gonna quote where he said that?

Doubtful. Betcha his next post is another Twitter post someone else made.

I would really suggest not wasting your time on jimbo. He’s just going to make something up or grab from some fridge far-right source. Either way, there’s no winning against him because he’s not up for changing when presented with evidence or anything else

At least he's fun. More often than not anyway

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Doubtful. Betcha his next post is another Twitter post someone else made.

At least he's fun. More often than not anyway
I noticed for both. Thus far the anti-vax side of the argument has just been fallacies, lack of peer-reviewed evidence, shit spreading, misquoting, and quoting random Tweets. It's actually kind of sad how deeply they believe something that has no evidence, yet they are clinging so tightly to it.

Ibcap

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well jimbo at least responds, unlike a certain someone else in this thread who, when asked to backup their bullshit, just moves on to a new lie. If my choice is between those two ill take the one who can form complete thoughts, however misguided :P

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Well jimbo at least responds, unlike a certain someone else in this thread who, when asked to backup their bullshit, just moves on to a new lie. If my choice is between those two ill take the one who can form complete thoughts, however misguided :P
I guess that's fair and one way to look at the situation.

Reactions: RocaBOT and Ibcap

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
I noticed for both. Thus far the anti-vax side of the argument has just been fallacies, lack of peer-reviewed evidence, shit spreading, misquoting, and quoting random Tweets. It's actually kind of sad how deeply they believe something that has no evidence, yet they are clinging so tightly to it.
And don't forget, "do your research" is their go-to, which I actually find hilarious

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Apparently, anti-vaxxers are gathering outside smaller vaccination centres in my town and being aggressive and intimidating to people as they are going in to get vaccinated.

At this point it's mostly teens who are getting them so some of them are being scared off. So much for respecting other people and their choices.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
And don't forget, "do your research" is their go-to, which I actually find hilarious
It’s literally just like every single time
1690838C-2181-4372-9238-F6261D14D13E.jpeg
I just want actual sources to “do my own research”

Last edited by The Catboy,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
An interesting survey by Carnegie:

https://www.cmu.edu/dietrich/news/news-stories/2021/july/covid-hesitancy.html

Here are the parts that catch attention:
The largest decrease in hesitancy between January and May by education group was in those with a high school education or less. Hesitancy held constant in the most educated group (those with a PhD); by May PhD’s were the most hesitant group.
Those from counties with higher Trump support in the 2020 presidential election showed higher hesitancy, and the difference in hesitancy between areas with high and low Trump support grew over the period studied. “This finding really highlights the politicization of public health recommendations,” said King.

“What's concerning is there is a subset of the population that's got strong levels of hesitancy, as in refusal to take the vaccine, not potential concern about it, and the size of that group isn’t changing,” said Mejia.
Generally, COVID-19 vaccine hesitancy was higher among young (ages 18-24), non-Asian people, and less educated (≤ high school diploma) adults, and those with PhDs, with a history of a positive COVID-19 test, not worried about serious illness from COVID-19 and living in regions with greater support to Donald Trump in the 2020 election.
To translate from statistics to English, this turns the idea that people hesitant in regards to vaccinations *or* people who outright refuse to take them are "uneducated" upside down. It appears that the group that is hardest to convince is in fact the group with the highest educational success, PhD's. Sorted by education, their hesitancy is the highest. My guess, to paint with broad strokes, is that they're a group of people who think they're "too smart" to get sick - smarter than the experts. It's hubris. The people in the middle, with moderate educational attunement, are easily convinced.

In addition, large swathes of people refuse to take the vaccine on political grounds entirely. They're not concerned about the actual side effects, only the moderates are. You can't convince a person like that, it's a waste of time.

This makes perfect sense to me - people who have achieved success in the realm of education tend to consider themselves the smartest person in the room regardless of qualifications in a given subject matter. More broadly, people tend to tow the party line, so they'll obviously show dissent if the issue continues to be politicised. Nothing new under the sun for the observant among us, but it confirms suspicions with some numbers.

Reactions: SyphenFreht

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

To translate from statistics to English, this turns the idea that people hesitant in regards to vaccinations *or* people who outright refuse to take them are "uneducated" upside down. It appears that the group that is hardest to convince is in fact the group with the highest educational success, PhD's. Sorted by education, their hesitancy is the highest. My guess, to paint with broad strokes, is that they're a group of people who think they're "too smart" to get sick - smarter than the experts. It's hubris. The people in the middle, with moderate educational attunement, are easily convinced.

In addition, large swathes of people refuse to take the vaccine on political grounds entirely. They're not concerned about the actual side effects, only the moderates are. You can't convince a person like that, it's a waste of time.

This makes perfect sense to me - people who have achieved success in the realm of education tend to consider themselves the smartest person in the room regardless of qualifications in a given subject matter. More broadly, people tend to tow the party line, so they'll obviously show dissent if the issue continues to be politicised. Nothing new under the sun for the observant among us, but it confirms suspicions with some numbers.
The moral of this story is that having higher education doesn’t prevent someone from having dangerous opinions or the best understanding of the topic they are against. Which makes sense, if you look at someone like Ben Shapiro, you find someone who is extremely intelligent but still talks out his ass about topics he has no understanding of. Having higher education does not always mean being the most knowledgeable person in the room.

I want to add that a lot of people doing this are clearly trying to find ways to control the conversation. The scientific method requires shows evidence with claims, something anti-vaxxors are adverse to doing. Instead they move the burden of proof onto you to “do your own research.” Whenever pressed, they just say the same anti-science nonsense about how they aren’t required to do the research for you or something obviously wrong. If you do actually research and show evidence against their claims, they get mad about how “you didn’t do the right research” and continue the cycle. It’s a conversation controlling technique just used to make sure they never actually have to show anything because they moved that burden onto you and then continued to move the goalpost.

Last edited by The Catboy,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The moral of this story is that having higher education doesn’t prevent someone from having dangerous opinions or the best understanding of the topic they are against. Which makes sense, if you look at someone like Ben Shapiro, you find someone who is extremely intelligent but still talks out his ass about topics he has no understanding of. Having higher education does not always mean being the most knowledgeable person in the room.
Having a different opinion on sociopolitical issues than you do does not equate to being wrong, or lacking understanding.

placebo_yue

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
If it works, I don't need it because other people will take it, be immune and not transmit the virus to me.
vaccine helps iwth the symptoms, but it doesn't stop spread.
If you research a little (no, im not saying i know more than doctors by any means) you'll see that the curves for contagion didn't really diminish much with the vaccines all over the world. But the deaths did, drastically.
So there's that. Vaccinated people will get the virus and pass it to you, they'll just have a slight fever, you might die.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the

What's concerning is the group that is not worried about side effects but they just refuse to take it.

Even if they see the vaccine as benificial. It seems like that group is more concerned about not being told what to do. And rebels just for the sake of rebelling. They want to prove they can stand their ground and not be forced into anything to show their individual independence or whatever. Even if not taking it is stupid in the long run. Probably believe gov should not force people to do things like take the vaccine by law.

They should figure out why this group refuses.

I remember I saw a video on Jubulie The got a bunch of college educated people take an IQ test and they all rate each others intellegence. Highly educated people do tend to over estimate their intellegence based on educational attainment.

Last edited by SG854,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
What's concerning is the group that is not worried about side effects but they just refuse to take it.

Even if they see the vaccine as benificial. It seems like that group is more concerned about not being told what to do. And rebels just for the sake of rebelling. They want to prove they can stand their ground and not be forced into anything to show their individual independence or whatever. Even if not takimlng it is stupid in the long run. Probably believe gov should not force people to do things like take the vaccine by law.

They should figure out why this group refuses.

I remember I saw a video on Jubulie The got a bunch of college educated people take an IQ test and they all rate each others intellegence. Highly educated people do tend to over estimate their intellegence based on educational attainment.
Well, people keep telling them that if they don't take it, they're immoral rubes. That's a good reason to rebel, if shortsighted and silly.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Well, people keep telling them that if they don't take it, they're immoral rubes. That's a good reason to rebel, if shortsighted and silly.
It's all about proving to everyone else you can't be told what to do. And to not let the other person gloat or have an ego.

Vaccine supporters have an ego. And people rebelling don't want them to say told you so or have this big smugness about it. People have an natural inclination to rebel agaisnt that.

But it's stupid because its shortsighted. What matters more is in the long run whats the smarter choice and not the battle of ego's. Rebelling only works if their is a benifit. Like a slave rebelling against his slave master. Rebelling is stupid if its a negative to you or the people around you. There is stupid ways of rebelling and smart ways of rebelling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/qv96JYhfAuA?si=_PN4PTWfj5BWI9wk