Homebrew CTRX - PS1 Emulator

machinamentum

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah ok. Another question: How can you determine if a specific area of ram is executable or not?

Also, how do you get instructions into the icache?

(Was kinda wanting to experiment around with this myself :P)
If your instructions are in a memory page never visited by the CPU, then the CPU will automatically move what sections of your instructions it thinks will need to be run into the icache. Since this isn't trivial, it's far easier to tell the CPU that the icache needs to be entirely invalidated so that it is forced to move new instructions from main memory into the cache. However, according to the ARM documentation, accessing the control register function that invalidates the cache lines is restricted to "privilege modes", however, this is the same method being used by ninjhax1 to flush the caches. I'm not entirely sure yet if ninhax2 is doing anything different to invalidate the cache.

I'm not sure how to determine which pages are executable yet.

Last edited by machinamentum,

pat277

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I didn't think it was possible... but now I can finally play PaRapper the Rapper and an adequate Tony hawk game on 3ds. Yay for 3DS homebrew development! :yay:

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
A few points on controls:
  • firstly, this is fairly premature to be discussing controls: there may never be a time when a game which requires the additional inputs a PSX pad has vs. the 3DS even runs on CTRX, so there are any number of things blocking games from running well to contend with before the controls become a major concern, and if/when buttons do become a concern, they'll be the easiest thing out of everything else that has been dealt with up to that point.
  • secondly, a vast number of games will run fine without needing the use of every single button on a PSX pad, e.g. most games released before the DualShock was introduced and even then, most games which made no use of the second analog stick or shoulder buttons or used them only for camera controls or something else not strictly necessary for play should be fine. Even if some games can't be played because of control limitations ... so what? There's no need for an all-or-nothing approach, if some games can't be played for either emulation or control reasons, then too bad, those games can't be played. Check a hypothetical future compatibility list.
  • thirdly, in enumerating the 3DS buttons everyone is leaving out something quite relevant: all 3DS models have a touch-screen, it's sub-optimal but there's plenty of room for any missing analogs or buttons and even button combinations to be just dumped onto the touch screen if it comes to that. Especially for turn-based games, there's no urgent need for easily accessible buttons for e.g. fleeing a battle. Nobody is saying this would work well for all games and game types, the point is just that there's plenty of solutions as far as controls to the point where there's not much reason to have a great deal of concern about input on the 3DS.

AtlasFontaine

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
  • firstly, this is fairly premature to be discussing controls: there may never be a time when a game which requires the additional inputs a PSX pad has vs. the 3DS even runs on CTRX, so there are any number of things blocking games from running well to contend with before the controls become a major concern, and if/when buttons do become a concern, they'll be the easiest thing out of everything else that has been dealt with up to that point.
  • secondly, a vast number of games will run fine without needing the use of every single button on a PSX pad, e.g. most games released before the DualShock was introduced and even then, most games which made no use of the second analog stick or shoulder buttons or used them only for camera controls or something else not strictly necessary for play should be fine. Even if some games can't be played because of control limitations ... so what? There's no need for an all-or-nothing approach, if some games can't be played for either emulation or control reasons, then too bad, those games can't be played. Check a hypothetical future compatibility list.
  • thirdly, in enumerating the 3DS buttons everyone is leaving out something quite relevant: all 3DS models have a touch-screen, it's sub-optimal but there's plenty of room for any missing analogs or buttons and even button combinations to be just dumped onto the touch screen if it comes to that. Especially for turn-based games, there's no urgent need for easily accessible buttons for e.g. fleeing a battle. Nobody is saying this would work well for all games and game types, the point is just that there's plenty of solutions as far as controls to the point where there's not much reason to have a great deal of concern about input on the 3DS.

fucking this.

Zephiroph

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
There aren't really that many PS1 games that NEED the analogue sticks...I can think of two that NEED them.

Still can't see it happening at a decent speed but teampleb do you have to be such a relentless wet blanket about everything?

teampleb

BAH! DED! X_X
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To bad it's not multi-touch. If you had the L2/R2/2nd analog on the touch screen you'd only be able to use one at a time. Can we just stop this and just agree you'd need a Circle Pad Pro? They're not even expensive.

There aren't really that many PS1 games that NEED the analogue sticks...I can think of two that NEED them.

Still can't see it happening at a decent speed but teampleb do you have to be such a relentless wet blanket about everything?
Nice insults. Doesn't change the fact that games did make use of them.

Last edited by teampleb,

xdarkmario

Philosopher
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PS1 on 3ds!?
Sequence_03.gif

Reactions: Phanton

machinamentum

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
v0.2-alpha now available. Fixes an interpreter bug. Adds 8bit and 16bit texture support. Now faster than ever before (like really fast!)! Bundled with this release is nextvolume's Mandelbrot generator (currently doesn't entirely work in CTRX).

Get it here.

EDIT: ninjhax2 seems to break some of the rendering code in Caelina. Weird bug to say the least.

Last edited by machinamentum,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Crazy people actually spend $50 on that stuff
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Towelie runs my farm, he's awesome.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Polly is still around from what I've heard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @SylverReZ, is Pollys alt I knew it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea I see him every once whi!e , incognito
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, I'm not him. Keep looking.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Still don't know why he left unless someone really hurt his feelings
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't know why people get so emotional online just get over it ffs
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He was the ass of gbatemp, everyone knocked on him, I honestly felt bad, even though I was guilty myself, but he egged it all on himself,
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    But he still here, but under dif name, he pm me sometimes still even.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's like they think we'll be in their bed pissing on it the next day
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I feel like gbatemp should make t-shirts or memorabilia to remember the lost ones. I bet the Polly shirts would sell out quick.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah that could actually bring lawsuits
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Tempsuits
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    PollySuits
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Your correct, Somebody would be guilty and there would be riots, then they storm the gbatemp capitol,
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Online or not there are still certain rights that judges would have no issue handing out a warrant over
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just look at Kim dotcom
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Honestly I'm scared to, from you, but ok, lemme turn on vpn, virtual machine, private browser first
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Remember that Alexa robot I gifted you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    And that laptop Webcam you never tapped up
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That robot is here somewhere, I hear it moving around at night, but I haven't seen it for months.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Oh that laptop I give to ancientboi, so you been watching him for months, and he's been watching you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh good more than enough material for the fbi
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn its 5 in morn, I gotta Go wake your mum and send her to work. Check ya later.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Damn its 5 in morn, I gotta Go wake your mum and send her to work. Check ya later.