Hardware Custom New 3ds XL modding help

MegaKyurem

WAAALUIGI
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I'm trying to replace the whole bottom shell to a different color because there were a few stripped screws that I have to replace. I've taken all of the boards and even the screen out and I want to know if I will have to replace the screens when I move them over. I was pretty cautious with the bottom screen so AFAIK that should still work, but will I have to replace the top screen if I open that? I've heard with the new2dsxl it's pretty much guaranteed to break if you try to take it apart, but since they are (obviously) different models from completely different years I want. I wanted to replace the entire bottom shell (only the bottom shells) but I don't want to if I risk breaking the screen since I'd have to take apart the top to get at the hinges. Here's a picture of what I'm talking about:

Attachments

• 20180224_003220592_iOS.jpg
    20180224_003220592_iOS.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 736

MegaKyurem

WAAALUIGI
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
its hard to read what your saying, but it looks like your doing a partial shell swap. Just reassemble it the new shell. I dont see your problem. Check the iFixit guide.

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Nintendo+3DS+XL+2015+Teardown/36346
Sorry if I worded that badly I'm just really tired rn. When I looked at a few videos one said that taking apart the top part of the new 2ds xl would likely break the screen. Since they're both new versions I was worried that might be true for a new 3ds also. Might be bad searching since I only checked youtube but I didn't see that iFixit guide. Thanks :D.

MrCatFace

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Sorry if I worded that badly I'm just really tired rn. When I looked at a few videos one said that taking apart the top part of the new 2ds xl would likely break the screen. Since they're both new versions I was worried that might be true for a new 3ds also. Might be bad searching since I only checked youtube but I didn't see that iFixit guide. Thanks :D.

I would love to see how it turns out! Good luck!

MegaKyurem

WAAALUIGI
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

You can follow this video, but you need to be good at disassembling and reassembling to be successful at this.

I haven't done any full systems yet, only small things like controllers, but so far I'm pretty confident that I haven't messed up. Hopefully it stays that way xD.
I would love to see how it turns out! Good luck!
Thanks :D I'll post my results tomorrow once I finish it up.

MegaKyurem

WAAALUIGI
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How do I get the hinges to separate? The guide and videos show it but I don't really see what they're doing well enough to be able to replicate what they're doing.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @realtimesave, Sup