Hacking CyanogenPSP - An Alternative Custom GUI for the PSP

Pacheko17

Controversial opinions guy.
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Well. I have some friends in Portugal, and sometimes they use words/expressions that we Brazilians don't, and vice versa...

In the end it's more a cultural matter, I think. (Although the Pacheko17 translation sounds like Brazilian Portuguese to me.)

Well, I have my second name because of the brazilian part of my familly, although I learned portuguese with a portuguese teacher.

Joel16

Ils ne passeront pas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A few questions
-Can you text from this? I see a texting app...
-Can this run android apps? (probs not i know)
-Is this basically just a launcher?

1. No you can't text. The thing is I had temporarily discontinued this project sometime around June, so I haven't touched the messaging app in a while. However that app is meant to send messages from PSP to PSP via adhoc only. Infrastructure would've been nice, but since this update I'm currently working on will be the last and final update, I'm not gonna bother paying for a server just for a few months. Another thing is, without a second hand PSP its quite hard to get some testing done, especially for something like this. I'll think about finishing this up, but right now I have other properties for this program.

2.Obviously not lol, this has absolutely nothing affiliated with the Android software. The apps however, are designed similarly to the ones found on Android but that's as close as you can get on a 32/64 MB RAM. (Remember only about 24 and 56 MB are available, since the rest are used for kernel stuff.)

3. Yeah this is basically just a launcher. Think of it like a completely redesigned XMB, which lets you do anything a PSP with CFW can do. It does however have its benefits, such as offering a file manager that allows you to open all sorts of files, play vatious sound files, and includes a stop watch and Android replicating misc. settings such as changing fonts, theme styles etc.

It may not seem like much, but honestly its quite a lot of work. If you had a look at my github respoitory you'd realize just how work had to go into this.

Last edited by Joel16,
Reactions: Hargrun

Joel16

Ils ne passeront pas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay so the language selection menu is pretty much complete:

There are still some more work to be done though. Some languages are overlapping, while some aren't. I can fix some of these strings in code, but there are some that will require shrinking from the original translator. I'll provide detailed information about those later. Because of these issues, I have decided to establish our translation project on transifex. https://www.transifex.com/cyanogenpsp/cyanogenpsp/
Users can now freely review the translation files, and make adjustments or updates if necessary. You can also request translations from there, but bear in mind I cannot guarantee there will be a translation for your language.

Once I can list all the languages, and where specifically they overlap, I'll let the translators know. After all that's done, I'll start uploading experimental builds. I'm pretty sure UMD is still broken, so if anyone wants to help out with that please let me know. I want to make sure the final build is as bug free as possible.

Joel16

Ils ne passeront pas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright guys, here's the first experimental build.

For Translators: there has been quite some overlapping issues. It would be nice if you can test the following build either directly on your PSP or PPSSPP to see where you can improve your translation. Some strings may appear to be put out of place even though they aren't overlapping anything. In such cases, I can fix this in code. Please co-operate and let me know if you can improve it, or indicate where I can fix any misplacement issues. It seems the app drawer should have 6 columns instead of 7, since this is where most of the overlapping occurs. If majority of you agree with this, I'll do just that. I hope to get rid of these issues in the next experimental build, thank you!

Also some characters, such as those in ploish aren't supported. It isn't the problem with the fonts, but a problem with intrafont's encoding. I dont know if this can be fixed.

Change-log:
Code:
Changelog 20151020

- Updated display.prx module
- Updated impose driver module. Volume controls can now be accessed
- Possible UMD fix.
- Cleaned up default configs.
- Added power management settings. (Power save, Balanced and Performance)
- Added volume controls. Press the vol+/vol- buttons to access.
- Allow volume controls to be accessed everywhere.
- Fixed power management settings which caused several issues.
- Massive code clean up and reorganization, also removed several unnecessary data.
- Restore CPU state after music has stopped playing.
- Settings menu does not allow CPU overclock/underclock when powersave mode is on.
- Added Polish translation - Thank you pawelosro!
- Added German translation - Thank you Dimistoteles!
- Updated French translation - Thanks Mahmoudos!
- Added Dutch translation - Thank you Arikuzo!
- Updated German translation - Thank you Ciapa!
- Added Spanish translation - Thank you Randomdude0!
- Added Portuguese translation - Thank you Gustavo Fraga Pacheco!
- Added Brazilian Portuguese translation - Thank you Hargrun!
- Fix up homebrew, POPS and ISO loading bug.
- Added language selection option under settings->display.
- Removed un-translated strings.
- Added Norwegian translation - Thank you Ridge!
- Fixed gallery return bug, after vewing an image.
- Fixed return screen glitch, in Music, Gallery and Game app.
- Fixed minor memeory leak in gallery app and settings.

Screenshots:
Volume Control:
KQlHIN8.png

Memory Management:
17jnUZg.png

Power Management Settings:
rYkJ5Id.png

Power Save Mode:
OYPcPkA.png

Language Selection:
Ez8zNiE.png

Download:

CyanogenPSP 5.3 Experimental Build 1.zip

Last edited by Joel16,

Randomdude0

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Testing on my PSP in spanish...

-Tried to back out from "theme > style" got a crash and it seems it wont launch again. (Had to erase the Cyanogen folder and put the original again)
-The {Opciones de Desarrollador} string ({Developer Options}) slightly overlaps over the {About} option, it could be changed with {Ajustes de Desarrollo}
-The {Presiona Triangulo para desactivarlo o podria causar que la aplicación se detenga} string is too long, you could use {Desactivar con Triangulo o podrá causar un error de aplicación} instead as it has 'kinda' the same length as the original string ("Press triangle to disable or it may cause the program to crash").
-The {Navegador} (Browser) string is too long, try using {Internet}. Or change the App Drawer.
-The {Pantalla de bloqueo} (Lockscreen) string is misaligned. You can use {Bloquear} or adjust it.

Can't find or see any other issues. Hope everything works perfectly on the next experimental!

Reactions: Joel16

Joel16

Ils ne passeront pas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Testing on my PSP in spanish...

-Tried to back out from "theme > style" got a crash and it seems it wont launch again. (Had to erase the Cyanogen folder and put the original again)
-The {Opciones de Desarrollador} string ({Developer Options}) slightly overlaps over the {About} option, it could be changed with {Ajustes de Desarrollo}
-The {Presiona Triangulo para desactivarlo o podria causar que la aplicación se detenga} string is too long, you could use {Desactivar con Triangulo o podrá causar un error de aplicación} instead as it has 'kinda' the same length as the original string ("Press triangle to disable or it may cause the program to crash").
-The {Navegador} (Browser) string is too long, try using {Internet}. Or change the App Drawer.
-The {Pantalla de bloqueo} (Lockscreen) string is misaligned. You can use {Bloquear} or adjust it.

Can't find or see any other issues. Hope everything works perfectly on the next experimental!

Thank you for your bug reports!

1. Its funny I never had that issue with theme > styles, but I finally figured out how you produced that issue. I'm guessing you pressed the ".." in theme > styles. That doesn't take you back to settings, you must press circle to return. Since you pressed ".." it sets that as the default theme directory, which in the ends breaks up the path for all the assets, causing it to crash repeatedly. If you delete themes.txt in CyanogenPSP/system/settings/themes.txt, it will reset it back to default. I'll try to get this fixed in the next build.

2. Thanks I'll use Ajustes de Desarrollo!

3. I'll use that as well. I might be able to use \n to prevent the text from going off screen, so it shouldn't be much of a problem.

4. I'll try to see how it goes with the app drawer, cause almost all the languages apart from English is overlapping.

5. Thanks! I'll use Bloquear instead.

You can expect all these issues to be fixed in the next build. Also I'll need to bringup the language selection menu, before start up so that users can read the welcome message and set up everything in their own language. Thanks again for your reports.

Last edited by Joel16,
Reactions: pawelosro

pawelosro

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Hi!
For problem with Polish characters you can replace them with normal characters (ą->a; ć->c; ś->s and so on)and it will still be readable and understandable for Poles. At least until you find out how to make them display correctly. I can also make some changes in translation to use less Polish specific characters where possible, tell me what you think about it. Testing your last build I've found a bug when you drag nofication bar down you have to hold analog down a second longer for words Wi-Fi, Balanced , Lockscreen to go down. Also when I click Check for updates it craches. I am using a fat(PSP1004) with 6.60 ME-2.3.

Edit:
I edited translation on transifex so it now dont include Polish characters.

Last edited by pawelosro,
Reactions: Joel16

Joel16

Ils ne passeront pas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi!
For problem with Polish characters you can replace them with normal characters (ą->a; ć->c; ś->s and so on)and it will still be readable and understandable for Poles. At least until you find out how to make them display correctly. I can also make some changes in translation to use less Polish specific characters where possible, tell me what you think about it. Testing your last build I've found a bug when you drag nofication bar down you have to hold analog down a second longer for words Wi-Fi, Balanced , Lockscreen to go down. Also when I click Check for updates it craches. I am using a fat(PSP1004) with 6.60 ME-2.3.

Edit:
I edited translation on transifex so it now dont include Polish characters.

Hey! thanks for your reports. I have updated the translation. By the way, that notification bar delay thing is coded in that way. It's not really a bug, but thanks for pointing it out. I will try to make the strings flow along with the quick settings in the next build. About the check for updates option, it sadly doesn't work on PSP 1000's. It's the same issue with the browser, it just doesn't work for some reason. It seems to be some sort of memory allocation issue, and without a PSP 1000 for testing, I wasn't able to come up with a solution.

Anyway's here's the next experimental build. You can either update manually, or straight through your PSP via settings->about->updates->check for updates. If you're not sure how it works, refer to this video.

Change-log v5.3 20151023:
Code:
- Fixed a minor memory leak in settings menu.
- Fixed theme, fonts, icon packs and language selection bug when user
tries to return to previous menu by using '..'
- App Drawer: Now uses 6 columns instead of 7. This gets rid of a lot of overlapping issues.
- Get rid of imported kernel functions for handling modules. We don't need a kernel module for this.
- There is now a new language selection screen during first boot.
- Cleaned up and revamped power menu.
- Use bin files for file handling.
- Fixed CPU state values when overclocking/underlocking.
- Added Romanian translation - Thank you imhotep4!
- Added Italian translation - Thank you nerdvana89!
- Updated Polish translation - Thank you pawelosro!
- Cleaned up quick settings and volume bar layout.

Screenshots:
CyanogenPSP language selection Screen upon startup
DL0jKyg.png

Old app drawer layout
2heF7Sl.png

New app drawer layout
TFuz2NF.png

Revamped Power Menu
Z3PyWOe.png

Videos:

Download:

CyanogenPSP v5.3 [Experimental] Build 2

Last edited by Joel16,

Joel16

Ils ne passeront pas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The latest experimental build (2) introduced a critical bug that took me a while to counteract. This bug introduced a problem that would freeze/crash when changing themes, icon packs or wallpapers in random cases. It was hard to debug since nothing was wrong with the functions I used or anything, but it was the way I had used them. Also I was out vacating in Barbados, so didn't bother looking into this for over 2 weeks haha. Too bad the vacation was filled with rainy days instead :rolleyes: LOL.
Anyways the 3rd experimental build will fix this, and it might just be the last experimental build before the final release since we are approaching the end of the year.

By the way, I have opened up a new webpage that includes a databse of icon packs. Now we can have them all bundled in one place rather than linking to them each time. (PS ignore my HTML skills - I'm well aware of how awful it is :) ) Also if you're viewing this on mobile, please use landscape view because for some reason the images are badly scaled on portrait.

Here's 2 screenshots displaying 2 separate the icon packs:

psp5.png

psp4.png

Last edited by Joel16,

Joel16

Ils ne passeront pas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
he don't flash my psp 3000? in others words... don't have a brick risc?
I'd suggest waiting a couple more days for the next experimental build. The current one has some issues, but yeah there isn't any brick risk. It doesn't mess with flash anywhere apart from the Recovery Menu. Even though there is a model check so that only hackables can use these options, as long as you don't mess with these options you should be fine.

Last edited by Joel16,
Reactions: marcussacana

Joel16

Ils ne passeront pas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CyanogenPSP v5.3 Experimental Build 3 [20151116] is now available. I must say this is now surely the most stable version, and will probably be the last experimental build before the final release by the end of this year. If you do encounter any issues, please let me know before the final release!

Changelog:
Code:
Changelog 20151116

- Fixed a critical issue with loading wallpapers, themes and icon packs.
- Added progressive animation to volume and brightness slider.
- Added Russian and Ukrainian translation - Thank you Raithwall!
- Now uses PSP_CTRL_NOTE to take screenshots instead of R + Triangle.
- Recovery Menu now has a reboot to XMB option.
- Allow only images to be opened when changing wallpapers. This fixes issues when trying to load other files in the wallpaper section.
- Fixed showImage(); return misplacement.
- App Drawer backdrop image can now be themed.
- Fixed return issues after exiting image preview.

NQ6o4EZ.png

RED CyanogenPSP theme v1.1 using KR 54 Icon Pack - by King Rollo and SF_Arch_Rival font.​

Progressive brightness slider animation
ZowHy9G.gif

Progressive volume bar animation
P0Pb5RB.gif

Download:

CyanogenPSP v5.3 Build 3
RED CyanogenPSP theme v1.1
CyanogenPSP Icon Packs
Download ttf2pgf converter (simply move the ttf font in the same folder as the makefonts.bat file is, and click on makefonts)

Note to translators:

This is probably going to be the last experimental build before the final release. Please test this build to make sure your translation is on point. If there are any overlapping issues or grammatical errors, it will not be fixed later on after the final build.

Last edited by Joel16,
Reactions: Hargrun

Joel16

Ils ne passeront pas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's 2 new videos that showcases some new stuff for the final build:

Font Sizes are now available:

Many changes in the theme manager shows just how much more extensive they can be:

You can expect the release somewhere in the first couple days of December. I hope all the translators have reviewed their translation. I'll also try to get a credits section implemented in about screen, which will list all the translators' and contributors' names.

Reactions: nxwing

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Yep most here in Ohio say pop. Oh oh yea I mean North Korea