Hardware Damaged SD reader - can boot some payloads

VashTS

Beat it, son
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My microSD reader is damaged, think it might be on the motherboard :( but i can get the card to read in HOS when booted without CFW.

I can load tegraexplorer and it sees the sd card fine.
I can load hekate and nyx but it warns me that its in 1-bit mode and likely is damaged, will not load any payloads but it does see them

any other payload results in cannot init sd card - argon, fusee, lockpick

i have a replacement sd reader coming but any reason or fix i can do to get it to boot into atmosphere?

i highly suspect its on the motherboard as the original connector was very finicky to cause system crashes and when i replaced it with an assumed working reader, it still didn't work. it also got extremely hot, like burn my fingers hot when i first connected it. i think i roasted like 3 64gb cards in the process :(

Reactions: mitcha

mitcha

مجاهد صنديد مقاتل عنيد
Trophies
XP
Country
Algeria
@mitcha We were just speaking about this too. I'm facing a similar issue to you as well
you wanna laugh ! i got 2 switch with same issue.
1- pin broken on the motherboard connector
2- damaged "i think" msd reader , a few minutes back the switch run's well , cuz my kids drop them a lot and that's why.

@VashTS i ordered an msd reader too , let see what when it come's.
and for your suspection , it's hard to tell , but for my case it's a drop issue.

VashTS

Beat it, son
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you wanna laugh ! i got 2 switch with same issue.
1- pin broken on the motherboard connector
2- damaged "i think" msd reader , a few minutes back the switch run's well , cuz my kids drop them a lot and that's why.

@VashTS i ordered an msd reader too , let see what when it come's.
and for your suspection , it's hard to tell , but for my case it's a drop issue.

i was able to create an emuMMC, so odd that the code allows for full read/write but not boot. i'd bet this is on the way the payloads launch

Matius

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

VashTS

Beat it, son
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks for the replies guys, i caved and sold it, done with headaches lol this is the 2nd damaged switch ive handled in 2 days, must be down on my luck :(

IxthusTiger

Cruddy's Buddy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Same problem here, but there's plenty of detailed images here on GBATemp on how to microsolder your sd reader directly to the pads on the mobo.

But I don't have the tools or the talent. Anyone in socal up to the task?

tyG0vUr.jpg

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I literally had this exact same issue. I ended up getting my Switch replaced, but the issue is the upper-right pin on the motherboard connector. Every time you remove and insert an SD card, it puts pressure on the ribbon cable, which in turn puts pressure on the socket.

Lesson for EVERYBODY - avoid inserting and removing the SD card as much as possible, use FTP, MTX or hekate's new USB feature. If you can, glue the SD reader down with epoxy to stop it moving.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/FdYTKAVSsXY?si=9E-2AU0JN-4hRZi3