Deadly Premonition 2: A Blessing in Disguise PC port first impressions

gbatemp_first_imp_deadly_premonition_2_banner.jpg

This first impressions piece is mainly focused on the performance of the PC port of Deadly Premonition 2: A Blessing in Disguise, rather than critiquing the game itself. If you'd like to know more about the game, you can read our review from its launch back in 2020.

For the record, the game was played on a PC with an AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor, an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 Super, and this nvme SSD.

The Deadly Premonition series has a long history of technical issues. Initially released on the Xbox 360, the original game is mostly fine, if not for some weird problems with controls. The Director’s Cut version of that game, however, had a troubled PlayStation 3 version, with further control issues and a poor framerate. The PC version was even worse, lacking any of the options expected in a PC port, suffering from poor performance and being very finicky with its setup, eventually requiring a mod from Durante to save it. Deadly Premonition Origins, its port to the Nintendo Switch, should have been an opportunity to clean things up, but again, it struggled with its performance and the Switch made the already-dated visuals even worse.

Deadly Premonition 2: A Blessing in Disguise got it the worst, however. Releasing as a Switch exclusive, it fell victim hard to the limitations of that hardware, and was plagued by a nauseating framerate and horrifically long load times. This video from Digital Foundry shows off how bad things were at release, with an average framerate of 15fps (going as low as 2fps) during open-world segments and load times over a minute long. Though things have been improved with a few patches, they're still far from ideal.

The release of a PC port should be the perfect opportunity to fix things and provide the definitive Deadly Premonition 2 experience; but, given how bad the PC port of the original was, things could get even worse. And, frankly, while things don’t get worse, the new PC port is more reminiscent of the original’s PC port than you might think.

DP2 1.1.jpg

DP2 1.2.jpgDP2 1.3.jpg

Let’s start with the biggest problem the original release had: low framerates and high loading times. Loading times are significantly better, but maybe still a little bit longer than people would expect. When entering a large area, like the main town of Le Carré, it typically took about ten seconds to load, and smaller areas took about three or four seconds. Longer than similar games, for sure, but much more manageable and playable than the Switch version.

Another big problem with the original was that the framerate would often drop to zero during loading screens, leading to confusion over whether or not the game had frozen or crashed entirely. While there are some stutters and dips during the loading screens (the lowest I saw went all the way down to 7fps), I’m happy to report that these were the only framerate drops I experienced during my time with this version of the game. At all other times - skateboarding, combat, minigames, exploring Le Carré - the game maintained a solid 60 frames per second.

DP2 2.1.jpg

DP2 2.2.jpgDP2 2.3.jpg

But fear not, Deadly Premonition loyalists! This game is still a technical mess. There were times where I fell through the floor for a moment, your skateboard has a bizarre habit of bouncing up off of nothing, lips would desync from dialogue, and character models would clip through objects during cutscenes. Even things that I thought were caused by the framerate issues when I played on the Switch, like the awkward timing on the skateboarding minigame, I’ve now realized are just baked into the game. Truthfully, these things don’t bother me, as they feel more in tune with the low budget charm of the series. It’s perfectly playable now, which is about as much as you can ever expect from a Deadly Premonition game.

Speaking of which, don’t expect any in-depth customization options. There are absolutely no video options, not even something as simple as being able to toggle between fullscreen and windowed view (you can still do it with alt+enter, of course, but no in-game menu option exists), let alone more complex things like different resolutions or framerate targets. There also appears to be no .ini within the game files that you can edit manually to force specific settings. This appears to be a relatively straightforward port of the Switch version, with the exact same customization options. In fact, you can’t even play with a keyboard - only a controller is supported. Not only that, but the buttons are oriented to match the Switch’s button layout rather than an Xbox controller, so the B button is always used to advance menus and dialogue, rather than A like in every other game to use an Xbox controller. Funnily enough, upon loading the game, you get a warning to not turn off your “console” while the game is auto-saving.

DP2 3.1.jpg

DP2 3.2.jpgDP2 3.3.jpg

The PC port of Deadly Premonition 2: A Blessing in Disguise is about as barebones as you can get away with, but, honestly, it’s perfectly serviceable. The Switch release was unplayable at launch and merely unpleasant to play after several patches. And it’s a shame, because there was a lot to love about Deadly Premonition 2 that was hidden under all those technical problems. The PC port isn’t as robust as most would want, but it’ll finally let people enjoy a game that’s too unique to have been overshadowed by some bad numbers.

relauby

Idiot Child
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I wonder if they still kept the anti trans dialogue that made this somewhat controversial when it came out
There were some awkward edits made to the Switch version through patches and given how barebones the rest of the port is I doubt it got changed. I didn't quite make it to that part yet but I think I will tonight and I was planning on giving an update when I get to it.

Reactions: stanleyopar2000

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I played the 1st game, seriously it's unbelieable that someone with serious mental problem still go around armed as detective instead being locked up inside an asylum.

if trans people live among others in this unfair world should accept other people's opinions, good or evil as it is.
Since people always make prejudice about trans in one way or another.

Last edited by leon315,

eriol33

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
instant bought it. the writing of the first game is really good. even if I don't beat it, I will just watch it on youtube, but I want to support Swery, he's one of those game designers who are still brave enough to experiment things.

Last edited by eriol33,
Reactions: relauby

Ralkila

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not hating but this game has to be the best troll shit people call a hidden gem. It rivals Arceus in my book.

ChibiMofo

Elon Musk is my dog
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
"Not hating, but this game is troll shit." LMAO! Okay then. Hate all you want but have you ever played it, or the first?
I don't play games that suck because I watch reviews first. And by all reasonable accounts, this game and it's predecessor sucks big time.

alt_Human

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've never heard that song before in my life, but it sucks becasue someone else told me it does. In fact, it's reasonable to say that ALL of their music sucks. Anyone who says that like that song, or the bands last one, is lying. They BOTH suck. Someone told me so.

Didn't ask you, but okay then. You're more than free to not like whatever your heart desires. But I'd have personally missed out on a LOT of things I ended up loving, had I gone by someone elses feelings. Also, you did buy a Wii Balance Board. PLENTY of AAA games on that thing, right? LMAO! You should remember what you've told people in the past before tellling little white lies. ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_that_support_Wii_Balance_Board

Last edited by alt_Human,

anhminh

Pirate since 2010
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
You talk like all Switch game are low frame rate and high loading time.

I mean sure, most Switch game are low frame rate and long loading time, include some of first party game. And it also true that some of them look very terrible graphic wise, lack content and full of bugs. And yeah, Switch is only as strong as mid-range smartphone so it may because of hardware limitation as well. But my point is, all of this is not true for all Nintendo Switch game.

Ralkila

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"Not hating, but this game is troll shit." LMAO! Okay then. Hate all you want but have you ever played it, or the first?
Are you serious? playing the damn thing is the part where all goes to shit. The trailers of the first one and the lack of "survivals" and "horror" in the console made many people to try it and then to rethink their choice. This shit still seems like a Wii game.

• Haha
Reactions: alt_Human

alt_Human

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you serious? playing the damn thing is the part where all goes to shit. The trailers of the first one and the lack of "survivals" and "horror" in the console made many people to try it and then to rethink their choice. This shit still seems like a Wii game.

If you're not a fan of something like Twin Peaks, the game wasn't really meant for you. Ever heard of a cult classic? Go play CoD or whatever else floats your boat. They're obviously not AAA games but myself and plenty of others enjoy them a great deal. And "shit still seems like a Wii game"?Are you talking gameplay? Graphics? Honestly, there are tons of great games on the Wii. It's fine that you don't like these games (if you've even played them), but they are by no means bad games because you or anyone else feels so. Their awkwardness and low-budget is a huge part of their charm.

Ralkila

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're not a fan of something like Twin Peaks, the game wasn't really meant for you. Ever heard of a cult classic? Go play CoD or whatever else floats your boat. They're obviously not AAA games but myself and plenty of others enjoy them a great deal. And "shit still seems like a Wii game"?Are you talking gameplay? Graphics? Honestly, there are tons of great games on the Wii. It's fine that you don't like these games (if you've even played them), but they are by no means bad games because you or anyone else feels so. Their awkwardness and low-budget is a huge part of their charm.
You call this a cult classic? you're way more brain washed than the other guy... Seems like a wii game in even more ways than you could tell specially in the physics engine, it has movement values even reaching the NDS engines.

alt_Human

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You call this a cult classic? you're way more brain washed than the other guy... Seems like a wii game in even more ways than you could tell specially in the physics engine, it has movement values even reaching the NDS engines.

You're apparently clueless as to what a cult classic is becasue both of these games are. And comparing to a Wii game is somehow supposed to make them bad? Sorry you only ever played M & M Kart Racing and Balls of Fury, but there are plenty of great Wii games. I supposed next you're going to tell me that any modern game with 16 bit graphics sucks becasue "Shit still seems like an SNES game"?

You are more then welcome to think they suck. Liking or not liking the games is subjective. You are also more than welcome to think they aren't cult classics. However, that's NOT a subjective matter. You're flat out wrong on that one. You can certainly feel otherwise, but you're still factually wrong.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BigOnYa https://youtu.be/BKLXOGhXrj4?si=4kXpeyCfxwL_k3qC