Homebrew [Debate][Poll] Flashcards vs. 3DeSmume

Should we rely on DS flashcards to play our beloved DS classics, or should we move on to emulation?

• DS flashcards are cheap and very accurate, so let's not waste our time with emulation.

Votes: 109 19.6%
  • 3DeSmume will likely add extra features that hardware based playback cannot dream of. And it's FREE.

Votes: 99 17.8%
  • Why not both? 3DeSmume compliments, rather than competes against flashcards.

Votes: 261 47.0%
  • We should do neither. They're both piracy and DS games suck anyway.

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • I am a cat. I know not of what you humans speak.

Votes: 68 12.3%
  • Other. I'll explain in a thread reply.

Votes: 15 2.7%

• Total voters

Xandrid

Trophies
XP
Country
Nigeria
Yeah, at shit FPSes. GBA can barely be emulated well on O3DS.
No need to really imulated GBA, when we have VC injections, but I could be wrong

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Oh great, on hardware barely documented and you still need to emulate at least 2 CPUs on 1 CPU
Totally gonna be playable... by the time the NX is out!
Sure, that would be cool

Inorizushi

*yawn*
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The DS has an ARM7 and ARM9 CPU.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Rood, also that would be grammatically incorrect.
Ah I see where you're getting at now.

Well, the problem right now is that the DS emulator is still running off of pure interpretation. They're currently getting it working with dynarec but it's proving to be challenging right now to say the least.

Inorizushi

*yawn*
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now where were we again? What am I going to put in my GAPING cartridge slot when 3desmume is complete? Gate-Way? :rofl2:
Now I like the idea of having a DS emulator for the 3DS but I still agree that nothing can beat a flashcard at this point.

Months down the road, maybe we'll see a change

Also, quit bashing on @dankzegriefer just ignore if you need to, no need to spark things past this. People are entitled to their own opinion even though this is the internet and saying anything will end up making people flame.

Last edited by Inorizushi,
Reactions: Ryccardo

Xandrid

Trophies
XP
Country
Nigeria
Now I like the idea of having a DS emulator for the 3DS but I still agree that nothing can beat a flashcard at this point.

Months down the road, maybe we'll see a change

Also, quit bashing on @dankzegriefer just ignore if you need to, no need to spark things past this.
I pray it does, I'm so excited, I've been follow the development very closely and also your right

Last edited by Xandrid,

dpad_5678

Ape weak on own. Ape strong in unity.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OMG! stop your fuckin bitching that you guys aren't getting 99999fps on your O3DS's and buy a fucking flashcard.
Is it really worth it? Do you understand the alternative?? The $10-$20 alternative?

Ugh!

Reactions: dankzegriefer

Codename PUMA

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
For DS games, I'll probably continue using flashcard until it breaks so I can just plug it into any system and play, regardless of console mod or anything. There have been times with my DSTWO that my 3DS ran low on battery and there was no outlet nearby a comfortable place, so I just grabbed the DS Lite and continued. Same save data and all that.

I'm not one that cares a whole lot for features and stuff, though it's nice to see people do that. Save states are cool but there aren't a lot of DS games I would feel like I really need them for. Fast-forwarding would be the biggest bonus for me, mainly because I can be a pretty big RPG grinder.

Compatibility would be the biggest decider. Only DS iso so far that I haven't gotten to work properly on DSTWO was Kirby Mass Attack. Crashed entering the first level.

chaoskagami

G̷̘̫̍̈́̊̓̈l̴̙͔̞͠i̵̳͊ţ̸̙͇͒̓c̵̬̪̯̥̳͒͌̚h̵̹̭͛̒̊̽̚
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
I feel like a terrible person because I chose the 'I am a cat.' option.

To be serious though, it's nowhere near flashcart levels of usability but I think this can be improved. For being completely interpreted, it runs REALLY well. My real answer is 'For now flashcarts, but they'll be obsoleted eventually'.

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I feel like a terrible person because I chose the 'I am a cat.' option.

To be serious though, it's nowhere near flashcart levels of usability but I think this can be improved. For being completely interpreted, it runs REALLY well. My real answer is 'For now flashcarts, but they'll be obsoleted eventually'.
You think running ds games natively using it's own hardware will become obsolete because of emulating those same games on the same hardware that runs them natively? Sorry if that sounds confusing.

Last edited by cvskid,

chaoskagami

G̷̘̫̍̈́̊̓̈l̴̙͔̞͠i̵̳͊ţ̸̙͇͒̓c̵̬̪̯̥̳͒͌̚h̵̹̭͛̒̊̽̚
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
You think running ds games natively using it's own hardware will become obsolete because of emulating those same games on the same hardware that runs them natively? Sorry if that sounds confusing.

Emulators are technically superior to actual hardware in most cases. Save states, rewinding, possible WPA2 support, debugging, etc.

The technically superior option out of Emulator and Flashcart is actually the third that remains unmentioned - hacked TWL FIRM. That of course is way higher on the difficulty scale.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: irdk :unsure: +1