Misc Debunking the banwave claims that seemed to be going around

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 24,963
  • Replies 174

Did you get banned today or a few days ago on a public or private see?

• My public seed got banned

Votes: 16 44.4%
  • My private seed got banned

Votes: 20 55.6%

• Total voters

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
Can't you fake http://conntest.nintendowifi.net ? After all, it's just a plain HTML page served over HTTP.

Probably, but most people probably won't go to the trouble.

Same combo on three consoles, not a single one banned.

Have you played USUM on the 1.2 update recently? Because the main thread I am seeing over at reddit is that most people who were banned were playing USUM, perhaps they added some cfw checks to the 1.2 update?

bjaxx87

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Nope, the server is your computer. Nintendo does not have any access to that connection. That is the ENTIRE point of FTP.
You should read this:
  • From the information that we've gathered from some people that have used a packet sniffer such as WireShark, the following data is sent to Nintendo's online gaming servers as soon as the 3DS connects to the internet:
    • Amount of time spent online (timer stops when either the system is disconnected from the internet, or connection drops out, then starts the timer again in a new session when it reconnects to the internet).
    • The game being played and amount of time spent on it during that session.
    • The console's unique hexadecimal ID used in the LocalFriendCodeSeedB, along with it's RSA-signed signature.
    • The console's serial number in which is broadcasted from the SoC and is hard coded in the SoC.
    • Friend Code generated on the Nintendo 3DS system, if one has been generated.
    • Internet connection status (either online or offline).
    • The Nintendo Network ID, if there is one linked to it.
    • Even if the sending of SpotPass Information is switched off, or even hiding your currently playing games. It does not prevent the system from sending currently playing information to Nintendo's online gaming servers, it only hides it from your friends in your friend list (like being invisible on the forum, while mods and admins can still see you). Why? Because even people without a Friend Code on their system have been getting banned too!
  • The following data is NOT sent to Nintendo's online gaming servers:
    • The data from the Nintendo 3DS's Activity Log. Oddly enough, while Nintendo does explicitly state that they collect Activity Log data, they're actually referring to their own server's Activity Log, which always tracks every console's online activity, and keeps a record of them that is stored forever. And is only collected in increments of data through a timer and a currently playing list.
    • Games or apps that have not been played, regardless if they're legitimate or not. You only get tracked when you're online and using that game or app.
    • Using games or apps while offline. Even though it is stored on the 3DS console's Activity Log, that data is NOT sent to Nintendo's online gaming servers.
    • Custom Firmware. Though we can't rule out the possibility of them releasing a 3DS update in the future that adds such function to collect MD5 hashes of files and FIRM data and send them to Nintendo online gaming servers (which would also be updated in a maintenance).
So any app that is running while wi-fi is on will get reported to Nintendo - it doesn't matter if it connects to Nintendo's gaming servers. You shouldn't even use "offline-only" homebrew titles while wi-fi is on.

Personally I keep using homebrew titles, but I always keep wi-fi off when I do it. So yeah, obviously no freeshop for me, but there's Wii U USB helper which lets you download 3DS titles on your PC.

SkittleDash

Head Nurse
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
what is this thing about seed? i've never heard about it...

It's what makes your Online gameplay on your 3DS tick. Once it's banned, the seed is nothing more than a waste of a few bytes. People post their seeds so others can regain online functions. But normally some jackass will purposefully get them banned because they have nothing better to do.

My 3DS is fine. Still have online access. I just hope it says that way... x.x

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It's what makes your Online gameplay on your 3DS tick. Once it's banned, the seed is nothing more than a waste of a few bytes. People post their seeds so others can regain online functions. But normally some jackass will purposefully get them banned because they have nothing better to do.

My 3DS is fine. Still have online access. I just hope it says that way... x.x
oh, thx, never expected that we could bypass ninty's online check in that way!

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Welp, thinking about it, it COULD be version 1.2 of USUM somehow. I simply updated it, without running the game even once since then, so it could be something during the installation process. Weirdly enough, when I tried to install the update via eshop, there was an error both times I tried (looked like a generic one though) and ended up installing the update via FreeShop, weird although it's very likely...

Zinvyre

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
From what people are saying on thread at r/3dshacks; the ban is for anyone who pirated/ripped USUM then used the official eshop to update to 1.2 is banned

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
From what people are saying on thread at r/3dshacks; the ban is for anyone who pirated/ripped USUM then used the official eshop to update to 1.2 is banned
Could be the case, although for me, I uninstalled USUM ages ago (about a month and a half) since I found a used cartridge for just 10€...

Golbez194

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used precaution stuff...like spotpass and not show game playing.

Was playin UPS but mostly offline,tried go to internet from game...and got message that console is banned.

I thought its just coz i didnt update game to 1.2...did that,still nothing.Still e shop is working,just no multilayer functions in games.

Is it possible to un ban console? Or how was it happened in a first place?
I guess nin can detect cfw with some new way now.

DrkBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Iirc i updated ultra moon a few months ago, I didn't realize there was a new update, I might to update until I finish oras in order to finish moon in order to start ultra moon

Mikemk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just adding another data point here. Was not banned, private seed, do not have tthat installed.

Though, it's worrying now if N can detect cfw from installing new titles, hopefully a luma update can patch that out.

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what about tikdevil with an unlinked (meaning no NNID) since it's downloaded through eshop?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

if this is the case nintenblow won our little war

Y0shII

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica
My 3ds was banned and previously I changed the seed for a public one and it worked for some time, however after last ban I did not change it for a new one (I do not play any online games). After checking this news I tried to use a new seed and it worked, but I noticed that I did not have any LocalFriendCodeSeed_B file on my 3ds, only the A file. It is weird because I tried like two different seeds before and the file was present. Lucky for me my 3ds is still working fine.

SirNapkin1334

Renound Aritst
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As far as I know, none of my 6 private seeds have been banned. I'll double-check though.

My 3ds was banned and previously I changed the seed for a public one and it worked for some time, however after last ban I did not change it for a new one (I do not play any online games). After checking this news I tried to use a new seed and it worked, but I noticed that I did not have any LocalFriendCodeSeed_B file on my 3ds, only the A file. It is weird because I tried like two different seeds before and the file was present. Lucky for me my 3ds is still working fine.
I have a similar bug, my o3DSXL has a SecureInfo_C instead of A. If I rename it to A, it ignores it and assumes that it has no SecureInfo file and the OS refuses to load.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ StealthD0g99: I think we as a society should take the Cave Johnson approach to scientific studies