Hacking Devolution - Public Release

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I already posted few weeks ago an idea which could work for WiiU, using the same Wii->WiiU transfer methods used by Nintendo.
As only the Wii can rip and verify the GameCube disc, both WiiU and Wii is required.

1- devo launch on WiiU and write a console-dvv (cvv? I'll call it like that for this post) (based on WiiU consoleID)
2- users use their own Wii + an updated Devolution which verifies the games and uses the WiiU-created cvv as base to create the resulted game's dvv which will work only on the corresponding WiiU.

You can't share the dvv or cvv, they are both tied to the HDD and to the Wii/WiiU you used and proves you own the retail game.

Edit:
The problem is that drives with cvv can be sent to someone who has the games and will verify them on Wii for you, then send the HDD with dvv files back to you. It's not 100% piracy proof.
But I guess, it's like going to a friend or family and borrowing a retail game you don't own yourself. Devolution can't detect if you bought it or not.

GameFreakDude

More gorgeous than any Hollywood star!
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I just tried running Devolution on the Wii U but of course I forgot about the screen that needs you to press a couple buttons on the GC controller to actually start the game up. If that were recompiled to automatically load "sd:\games\Super Mario Sunshine.iso", I could see if this would actually work.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
I just tried running Devolution on the Wii U but of course I forgot about the screen that needs you to press a couple buttons on the GC controller to actually start the game up. If that were recompiled to automatically load "sd:\games\Super Mario Sunshine.iso", I could see if this would actually work.
You can actually use the WiiMote with the latest version OR just take the loader.bin from the gc_devo_src.zip download and have your backup launcher run Devolution for you. (Of course the real trick will still be verifying your disk and THEN controlling it in game ... but at least you have a USB mouse option for the latter and MAYBE a mini-CD adapter for the former.)

GameFreakDude

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ah, so the Wiimote is working now. Well, the straight Wii > Wii U transfer idea doesn't look like it works, just got a black screen. Time for plan B. Which would ideally be Cyan's idea.

Wow, Devolution makes the Wii U's disc drive go nuts if there's no disc in there when it's running.

Edit: that was scary - the Wii U stopped outputting any video signal the next time it ran the vWii, but the second time I tried it worked fine.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
When you say the drive goes nuts do you mean you hear the drive motor go nuts or the drive light flashes? If it's the drive flashing it's supposed to do that to tell you to insert a disk for verification ... and then there are different numbers of flashes that indicate different messages like verification failed or other errors.

And Cyan's idea is something that COULD be added to a later version to help verification. It's not something that might work with the current version of Devolution.

GameFreakDude

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I mean the drive whirrs like crazy. The light doesn't flash at all. Maybe it's trying to flash the light but it makes the drive move around instead ??

ss4rob

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What IOS hacks are required for Devolution to run? While USB Loader works with my Wii games just fine, I am unable to load any GameCube games - when I push A, it immediately goes black and reboots to the HBC, no blueflashing slot or anything. I tried putting the MD5 verified ISO on my SD card to rule out a bad hard drive, still no dice. Finally, I tried to run SysCheck but it crashes - so something must be up with my Wii itself - here is what was logged before the crash:
=========================
sysCheck v1.6.2 by Erik Spyder

Region: NTSC-U
The system menu v481 is running under IOS61 (rev 5662)
Hollywood v0x11
Console ID: 67513928
Boot2 v2
Found 104 titles
Found 29 IOS on this console
Found 8 IOS Stubs on this console
=========================
So I'm guess I have an old IOS that needs to be updated or missing an IOS completely - what is needed to Devolution to run? Thanks!

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ehem, to quote myself from WiiHacks...

Nintendo Maniac 64;695619 said:
Devolution needs absolutely NO IOS hacks, but I think it does require IOS58 - at least this is for the sample loader.

Also note that Devolution does not work with modchips.

Speaking of the sample loader, you should try using that first since, like I said, it does not require installing anything at all. Just put it in the Apps folder on your USB drive/SD card and put your GameCube ISOs in "games" on the root of your USB/SD card, and you're good to go.

ss4rob

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For the benefit of anyone who may stumble here...
ss4rob said:
And like magic, installing IOS58 did the trick - my GameCube game played perfectly. I did not reinstall HBC, so it is still running on IOS61 - I wasn't sure of the advantages of switching. For giggles, I tried duplicating this on the vWii - it seemed to get stuck at the verification process as the disc drive was acting wacky - oh well, not that I could control it anyway, heh. Thanks for the direction, easy peasy! :)

MassiveRican

GBATemp's Unofficial Vigilante
Trophies
XP
Country
hi everybody! thanks to tueidj for his great work...
my only problem is the obligation to get an original game disc for a onetime load of the isos.
i am living in cameroon an i can't buy anything on internet and can't even be deliver...my only original game disc is "The Wind Waker" and i really like to be part of the PSO experience.
Is there any chance that this limitation will be remove? please...
Hey bud, u can play PSO with DIOS-MIOS, just without the "O" part. No online, just offline gameplay.

EzekielRage

Hero of the Void
Trophies
Website
www.void-comics.com
XP
Country
Australia
Sadly I can't afford a WiiU at the moment but as soo as I have one I will test various methods of getting Devolution to work. I will even test the silly "put GC disc into big disc adapter" idea because i have such an adapter somewhere. But this might take some time and perhaps by then there is an official WiiU version out already^^

MassiveRican

Trophies
XP
Country
thank for the answers
Dios Mios seems to have many unfixed audio streaming issues....BUt i will try
Yes unlike Devolution, there is no support for Audio Streaming games. Luckily PSO is not one of those games. If u need help setting up PSO to play with DM, please come by the DM thread ;)

MassiveRican

Trophies
XP
Country
Yes, he's been working on it a long time actually lol, and now that he spends next to no time developing DM audio streaming seems further and further away. Although I am optimistic and hopeful that he will make it happen someday.

@etheboss I'm surprised u don't think it's possible. We've pretty much always thought "so and so" is impossible, not gonna happen, blasé blasé. In the end were almost always proved wrong one way or another. Tueidj and Crediar are both examples of making the impossible, possible! I hope they continue that trend :)

Etheboss

Official LULWUT supporter
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Oh man :glare: , @maxternal, it was meant ironical...but maybe creadiar will succeed eventually..
But don't compare it to Devolution, that loader does it waaay different...also it has less mem limitations...so much extra stuff can be coded in like keyboard / wifi / wiimote support..

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Oh man :glare: , @MassiveRican, it was meant ironical...but maybe creadiar will succeed eventually..
But don't compare it to Devolution, that loader does it waaay different...also it has less mem limitations...so much extra stuff can be coded in like keyboard / wifi / wiimote support..
fixed that for you there.

Anyway, now that I've been drawn into this conversation ...
Now that you mention it, I wonder if USB Keyboard and mouse support would be possible in DM(L) (thinking of space). I would assume the driver for that would be a WHOLE lot smaller than WiFi or Bluetooth. If not DM, DML should have more space available then it's USB counterpart.

Reactions: Etheboss

Duncan Idaho

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Ok a simple question, can i use devolution on my wii to make a dump or whatever it wants and then transfer it to my uncle's wii? We own a legit copy of twiligth princess, Wind Waker and OOT +MQ, however our GC is dead, very very dead, my wii can play GC games, however his cannot, since it's of 2010 or later, can he use my devolution "settings" to play on his GC or this simply means devolution will only work for users of wii's of 2005 or earlier?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    T @ Texasauras: IS ANYONE ON TWITCH.COM TWITCH.COM/THESUSHIDRAGON