Did Nintendo give birth to the Playstation?

CyberFish

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Zav said:
whiles nintendo and sony never got it together... Sony had multiple failed PSones before the one we came to know and love so Sony's experience leading up to PSone was there and it allowed for a competitive system with the N64 then when microsoft joined the fray they had more experience than you would think because of the gaming revolution that took place with windows 98... and now the xbox 360 although weaker than the PS3 is a better system and the wii is just for casual gaming

What do you mean never got it together?? You mean actually create something or not work together? The Playstation came from the work that Sony and Nintendo did while trying to create a SNES add on.

MissingNo._

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, Nintendo hated Sony for creating the PSX without them, so they made a new console: The N64. They noticed how slow PSX games' loading times are, so they made a console that had virtually no loading times, but this proccessed quite a bit of memory and power to execute, resulting in the bad (take Super Mario 64 for instance) 3-D models, high-priced sytem you could buy.

While it did have some fun games, overall it could not beat the PlayStation.

toguro_max

Trophies
Website
toguro_max.sites.uol.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
Whether Nintendo's dismiss of Sony was their worst decision or not, it sure created a whole new market for videogame systems.
Follow me: at te begining, there was Atari (oohhhh) and their rivals (Matel, Coleco...). Then Nintendo came with the Famicom (here comes a new challenger) and the industry were never the same again. Sega wanted to compete, and then they created the Master System and, later, the Mega Drive (Genesis). Then, Super Famicom came, and 32X appeared, and Super FX, and Mega CD (the ands are on purpose). To end it all, Sega made the Saturn.
Can't you see? For some years, the videogame market were ruled by Sega and Nintendo (I do not take in consideration Neo Geo). When the big N decided to drop the PSX with Sony, the latter entered in the market, changing the whole aspect of it.
My point is, Nintendo, with this decision, "created" the videogame market as it is today.
Ok, maybe I went a little too far, but that's my thoughts...

Just a side note, my thoughs on the videogame market were always like this:
Sega: Innovates the hardware, being the best for some time (for being the first).
Nintendo: Learns "from" Sega, impove some things and competes (also innovates some times).
Sony: See what everyone else create, and try to create something better.
Microsoft: I think it's taking the same steps as Sega at the beninning....

That's all.

Perseid

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You are correct in saying Sony and Nintendo attempted to co-develop a CD addon, but to say Nintendo "gave birth" to the Playstation is a bit silly. If you're going to say that Sony and Nintendo developed a system using optical discs and thus the Playstation was birthed by Nintendo because it uses optical discs I could also say the Gamecube was birthed by Sony because it uses optical discs and Sony and Nintendo developed a system using optical discs. But that would be silly of me.

antonkan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Well, Sony's PlayStation 3 is so popular in Japan. PlayStation 2 is now popular in world. So PlayStation franchises became a successful market in history.

Nintendo gave brith to the PlayStation? That's curious. The history of a PlayStation starts with Nintendo and Sony to develop SNES-CD. It was an add-on to the SNES, but it's unreleased. In 1994, Sony Computer Entertainment, a video game company that makes the PlayStation franchises, was formed. On December 1994, the original PlayStation (also known as PSX and PlayStation 1/PS1) was released in Japan. That's the history, eh?

toguro_max

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Brazil
The idea behid the "giving birth" do Playstation is, in my opinion, that if Nintendo had not broken up "relations" with Sony, then maybe, and only maybe, the Playstation we know today would not exist.
Back that time, the Playstation project was ignited a little bit from the anger Sony felt of Nintendo after the break up (of course Sony would enter the videogame market anyway).
What [BnC]Mitchell said is correct, Nintendo did disign the N64 to use cartidges becaus of the slow loading times. I used to read a lot of videogame magazines back that time, and I remember someone from Nintendo saying that "The faster loading of the cartidges will compensate the lesser amount of memory (read megabytes) to work (compared to the CD)".
Of course nobody will never, ever, admit any bit of this "conspiration theory"...

Just in time, this is what it's supposed to be it. Wheather it is true or not, it's up to you all.

DARKSHIDARA

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the truth is yes but many of you "new gamers" may not know or are sony fanboys to accept it
but yes nintendo indeed gave birth to the once called "super nintendo playstation" hence the name "playstation" and the similarities with the snes pad and the original ps1 controller

DARKSHIDARA

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SEANVOL
there is a big mistake in that article it didnt became an immediate success the games that made the playstation sell where namco's ridge racer and (at that time squaresoft) final fantasy seven in 1997
(on a side note ff7 sold well but many of the people that bought it took it back because it was an rpg and the name final fantasy was only known by those that played them before on the snes)

MissingNo._

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some people also think the PlayStation controller is built off of the SNES controller, just two more shoulder buttons, and two different designs have two analog sticks and the other one, while also having two analog sticks, also contained a rumble feature. Go figure.

Another fact to support this is that both Start and Select buttons are made of a soft material, and the shoulder buttons are called L and R, but are numbered for each one. Go figure again.

MissingNo._

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bninja1v said:
even though it's kind of confusing but i agree that Nintendo gave birth to the PSX.

They didn't exactly give birth to the PlayStation, they set off a chain reaction that ended up having SONY give birth to the Playstation.

legendofphil

Phil no Densetsu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
[BnC said:
Mitchell]
Bninja1v said:
even though it's kind of confusing but i agree that Nintendo gave birth to the PSX.

They didn't exactly give birth to the PlayStation, they set off a chain reaction that ended up having SONY give birth to the Playstation.

Whilst Nintendo didn't figuratively give birth to the Playstation they did conceive its existince.

In a similar way that Nintendo forced the Xbox to exist.
MS wanted a part of the home console market and tried to buy out Nintendo (for those that can't see the plot, Nintendo turned them down).
After this event MS set about designing the Xbox around what they know, hence the modified Windows 2000 Kernel built on x86 architecture.

toguro_max

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Brazil
[BnC said:
Mitchell]
Some people also think the PlayStation controller is built off of the SNES controller, just two more shoulder buttons, and two different designs have two analog sticks and the other one, while also having two analog sticks, also contained a rumble feature. Go figure.

Another fact to support this is that both Start and Select buttons are made of a soft material, and the shoulder buttons are called L and R, but are numbered for each one. Go figure again.

You know, this is a somewhat common misconception of "new" gamers... The original Playstation controllers did not have two analog sticks... In fact, it did not even have one! This is the first Playstation controller.
Only on a side note, take a look at these prototype playstation controllers and see for yourself...
Also, even though it might not be that accurate, take a look at this...

In time, if this amount / kinf of links are not allowed, please say so and I'll remove'em.

daknight

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The reason they cut the ties with Sony was over royalty control. Appearntly when they sign the papers they didn't notice that any game made for the add-on will give royalties to Sony (more than to Nintendo). Royalties for games being Nintendo's most important asset was a big NO, so they found a loophole to escape and this of course made Sony mad that they said they HAD to take Nintendo down.

Maybe for those now it might had been a 'bad' move, but in Nintendo's eye it never was since they manage to keep control of royalties, which was most important to them...and they still made lots of money anyway.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We can hug and make up which part of your body would you like kissed sir
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just wanna spoon and...no I'm not falling for your tricks anymore, I've moved on.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yes I know about your deep love you have for @SylverReZ but I was your first
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That could've been polly thinking about it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its not your baby, no matter how much you what it to be, we were separated at that time.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    We sound like Mexican soap operas
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I miss polly, he took alot shit but was fun messing with him
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's why I don't get too involved in the forums I don't want my name all over the damn place but I do feel like I had a doing in the Leo and Luke love battle lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I think the cross gen console thing has killed playing cod, bf, pubg on consoles. Cheaters on pc has made them horrible to play on consoles.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's why they dump millions into security now I remember getting all my cod shit unlocked in one match was fun
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    An option to just play with console players may reduce latency even
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Aaawww (points finger)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Wut
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea they should separate to each, (I know already you gonna say dats rasist)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No like if you're on Xbox like a toggle switch that says Xbox players only
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    True, should be choice if you want cross play
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I plan on going back to ultimate with all the new shit coming that'll just be free on ultimate
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wut? PS ain't tickling your balls no more?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No I can just afford both ;O
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I hear ya. You got a dope handheld coming soon, that should at least tingle those dingles.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably look like ass with Gamepass on it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Crazy, I remember posing for that one, towelie was messed up in that shoot.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Must have edited him in post, he looks fine there.
    Veho @ Veho: Here, on the other hand...