Homebrew [DISCUSSION] New Super Ultimate Injector (NSUI)

HetchBug

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've installed some GBA games to my 3DS but I notice that when I use the Gameboy Advance banner that there's no footer with the game name. If I revert to the previous look (still in NSUI 28) then the footer will be there. Is there a way to fix this?

I've attached my NSUI settings as well in case, sorry if this has been answered before I can't seem to find it though.

Hey! Using Beta 28.

Anyone else have problems with the footer banner showing in the 3DS?
It won't show with the normal one (the one with the text) or with a custom one :/ The image size is the same and all

So I've spent a couple hours yesterday and today reading on this forum looking for information and/or answers but to no avail. I think it's a combination of not knowing enough and using the wrong search terms.

Ignoring the fact this port/demake (Steins;Gate) doesn't run, because it is not an official release the database cannot find the game information and as a result the virtual console footer is left blank. Is there a way to amend this by either editing the game info or the footer itself? I imagine I will run into this problem with ROM hacks and anything else of its kind.

I'm having the exact same issue! I'd really like to get it sorted because things are so close to looking perfect!

Regarding the footer banner not appearing:
It looks like all 4 of you above are having this same issue. Here are helpful posts in this same thread that have an unofficial solution to the problem. I think the issue is regarding the language settings for the banner image in the program. Check the last link for a better explanation.

It has been a while since the last post about the missing footer banner for GBA games, so I'm not sure whether this is still a thing or not.

Nevertheless, after repacking some of the cias, I recognized that the language of all banner models is set to USA_EN, therefore it won't appear on European systems at all. If the cia is manually repacked with adjusted models (e.g. EUR_GE for German) everything works fine. This can be achieved with tools like ba-GUI-nnertool (Can't hyperlink since I'm new. You'll find a GBATemp thread if you google it). For further instructions, relate to the HOW TO.pdf in the downloaded archive (last two pages). However, this process is tedious and takes a fair amount of time.

I'm aware that @Asdolo is pretty busy rn, however this might help to fix the issue in the near future.

Read this solution:
First of all: I'm quite a noob in gbatemp and I don't know if I'm making a mistake with this post, if someone has explained it before or better than me, but my intention is only to help. Be nice to me :)

Had a problem with GBA injections. The footer did not appear.

I understand (please, this is just an assumption, since my knowledge on the subject is quite limited and I don't want to take anything for granted) that I extract a CIA already created in the NSUI, the 13 banners contained in the folder "ExtractedBanner" from the CIA that correspond to a different language, are all in USA_EN. Some of you have no problem with your GBA footers made in NSUI because your console is USA, but many others have it in EUR and that means that they will never read any of the 13 footers.

caipora

cheese eating lactose intolerant
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I've installed a few CIAs, and some of them doesn't work... It says that the software is for New 3DS only. It happened with Super Mario World, Zombies Ate My Neighbours and EarthBound, pretty much only with SNES games, the GBA and Genesis ones worked just fine.
Any fix?

ertaboy356b

Trophies
XP
Country
I've installed a few CIAs, and some of them doesn't work... It says that the software is for New 3DS only. It happened with Super Mario World, Zombies Ate My Neighbours and EarthBound, pretty much only with SNES games, the GBA and Genesis ones worked just fine.
Any fix?
Don't inject on a VC.

Chenchi

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
There are a few different values that are used:

Ghosting:

0xC0:
Fire Emblem and the Sacred Stones, F-Zero: Maximum Velocity, Mario vs. Donkey Kong, The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
0x90: Kirby and the Amazing Mirror, Mario Kart: Super Circuit, Metroid Fusion, Wario Land 4, WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgame$
0x80: Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island

Those are the values directly in the code.bin. Lower values = more ghosting, which NSUI flips. So to convert a GBA VC ghosting value to NSUI's number, convert the value to decimal and subtract it from 255.

Well, in theory, but currently in NSUI everything is shifted, for example if you use the max 254 it sets 0x00 instead of 0x01. So right now you would instead subtract from 254.

So, to set the above ghosting values in current NSUI, the decimal values you would use are: 62, 110, 126 (respectively)
If this behavior is fixed, then the values will be: 63, 111, 127

Dark Filter:

"Strong dark filter":
Kirby and the Amazing Mirror, Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island
"Soft dark filter": Fire Emblem and the Sacred Stones, F-Zero: Maximum Velocity, Mario vs. Donkey Kong, Metroid Fusion, The Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap
"Middle dark filter" (not currently in NSUI): Mario Kart: Super Circuit, Wario Land 4, WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgame$
So 126 its 0xC0 right? sorry if its a dumb question im not good with english, im trying to apply this to F-zero GP Legend beacuse causes something on the screen like screen burn, generated by the track map in the left

DarkCloud82

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Okay, I think it's time for me to say something.

- Since I started a new job two years ago (plus the college 5 years ago) I had less time to work on personal projects, so I slowly stopped working on NSUI. Another reason is that now I don't use Windows anymore as my primary system, so developing a Windows Application is not that easy. I still have my Windows machine, but I just don't use it anymore. Instead, I usually use a macbook I also use for work and study.

- When I was actively working on NSUI I had a lot of help of a friend from here (@Wacko22). He helped me a lot with debugging, testing, and coming up with new ideas for the app. He may also written some code, I don't remember. We used to talk almost every day in Discord, but he gradually stopped logging in and I can't contact him anymore. I can't blame him, he probably got tired.

- I always wanted to finish NSUI once for all, but every time I open the project I always see that the source code of the application is a mess. I started the project when I had way less knowledgement of programming than now (lot of duplicate code, bad habits, etc). So every time I see it I think "Hey, I should start the project from scratch with a good base".

- I also wanted it to be cross platform, so linux and mac users could use NSUI without problems. The issue here is the User Interface. It's hard for me to develop a cross platform application with a user interface. This year I started a command line version of NSUI, but the essence of the app is the UI and the idea is that the app should be easy to use for an user. So, what's the best way to develop an application with a UI for me? The answer is: Develop it in/for Windows with Visual Studio. But then I have the same problem as before (not being cross platform). So, either I have to really research a way to make cross-platforms desktop applications (with an easy way to build binaries for all platforms) or I have to sacrifice the cross-plaform thing, which I wouldn't like to. Also it would be amazing if I can develop it directly in my macbook.

Maybe you can help me here about what to do.

- Source code? I just can't make it public. At least not the version of NSUI you all know. If someone wants to know the injection processes feel free to ask me. If I ever start a new cross platform version of NSUI (with some help maybe) I will definitely make it open source, but right now I can't upload the current code for all. I just don't want it to be visible by Ninty.

- I enter every day to GBATemp, Twitter and the 3dshacks subreddit, so you can contact me there. Please insist if I don't answer you.

- I have a debug build of Beta 28, but I don't really know if it's stable. It could be broken, but I don't remember. In any case I could upload it and maybe you can test it. It should have all the changes specified here:

Well, that's the current situation of me and NSUI. Now in my country we are having quarantine since march (and who knows when it will finish), so I'm at home 24/7. Maybe with some help I can keep working on this, either with the old NSUI or with a new version. I will check this thread from now.

PD: Sorry for my bad english.

Hi! I'm new on forum but I always used NSUI and I'm a developer. Can you show me the injection process? If you interested I can help you to develop an multiplatform version (I'm a Linux user and I love free software).

I'm Python / C# / Angular developer but I was studying Flutter/Dart and I believe this technologies it's a great platform to do this work.

Please contact me.

Sorry about my bad english!

Mr_Start

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hello, i may be uninformed about it if was you that made the Beta 28 of the NSUI, i've discovered a glitch where if you change the sounds (changing that mario world coin sound) of the SNES VC, it makes the cia renders nothing on the homemenu, not even the sound, nor the banner, nothing.

ppivotiiii

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hello, i may be uninformed about it if was you that made the Beta 28 of the NSUI, i've discovered a glitch where if you change the sounds (changing that mario world coin sound) of the SNES VC, it makes the cia renders nothing on the homemenu, not even the sound, nor the banner, nothing.
Make sure the sound you used is a 16bit WAV file and shorter than 3s.

Mr_Start

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Make sure the sound you used is a 16bit WAV file and shorter than 3s.
Yes i export it on 16bit PCM in wav format, but when i export the cia and download on the 3ds, it just simply shows the game icon but without the snes console banner and sound, even when pressing A to the game it loads perfectly fine, i don't know what really happened, does that happens with you too on the beta 28?

ppivotiiii

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yes i export it on 16bit PCM in wav format, but when i export the cia and download on the 3ds, it just simply shows the game icon but without the snes console banner and sound, even when pressing A to the game it loads perfectly fine, i don't know what really happened, does that happens with you too on the beta 28?
I haven‘t tried SNES on 28, but no banner/sound showing usually happens if the sound is longer than 2.99s.

Mr_Start

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I haven‘t tried SNES on 28, but no banner/sound showing usually happens if the sound is longer than 2.99s.
Weird, later i'll take a look and i'll inform what happened
Post automatically merged:

Added a sound wav 18 bit of 2.95s, still nothing on the banner neither the sound, but if i remove the sound it gets back from normal (Selected the bomberman 2 snes on the bottm right)

2023-03-06_17-34-38.534_top.png

2023-03-06_17-34-38.534_bot.png

Last edited by Mr_Start,

MasterFox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello all,
I have both twilight menu ++ with my rom of pokemon gold for gbc and a .cia file created from the same rom using super ultimate injector (beta28). When playing the game in .cia format every time you enter a battle there is one frame where both the trainer and their pokemon's sprites are displaced creating a flicker effect in every battle. This does not happen in twilight menu++. I would really like for the .cia version to work cause every other game i have installed is in that format. Any ideas

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: "pine unf apple" doesn't count! Lol