Hacking [Discussion] Smash WiiU Modding and Help Center

FlappyFalco

Guessing I should be thankful
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
model hacking for brawl even without animations still worked fine. You could have shrek over Wario just fine as long as the rigging was fine.

I know that, I mean we have Alph over Olimar in the base game with the same animations (as far as I know), I meant that giving characters completely new moves would be impossible.

SETHsational

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey I backed up my old mods before i got the new patch dump, and them i put them back in sm4shexplorer, the only problem is none of the old costume model swaps will transfer into sm4shexplorer because they are packed files. Is there anything i can do or do i have to start from scratch and re-replace all the alts?

FlappyFalco

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Hey I backed up my old mods before i got the new patch dump, and them i put them back in sm4shexplorer, the only problem is none of the old costume model swaps will transfer into sm4shexplorer because they are packed files. Is there anything i can do or do i have to start from scratch and re-replace all the alts?

You can place them in with your dump of SM4SH, the one with dt00 that SM4SH Explorer pulls from, they should then be unpacked and show up in SM4SH Explorer, you can then right click on them and hit extract to get the files back.

Reactions: SETHsational

vaanrose

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, absolutely. The things people did in the Brawl days was absolutely amazing. My only concern would be that there aren't enough people who have an interest in modding SM4SH Wii U, especially now that the Wii U is at its "end" as far as Nintendo, and indeed the general public are concerned. But then again, the game is far easier than Brawl to mod, and people are more experienced this time, so I guess it evens out. Best case scenario, the NX is a success, SM4SH is rereleased on the console with the same file formats as Wii U, and an exploit is found on a current firmware which Nintendo doesn't patch for a few months. The would be a Godsend for the modding scene IMO.

However, another problem is animations. Right now I could add a second slot on the CSS for Fox, rename it Wolf, change his default colour, the colour of his Landmaster, change his weight and speed, as well as the damage and knockback his attacks would deal, but unless we have custom models and animations, new characters are a no go.

EDIT: Aayyy, we have the same post count. :D

I was one of the people in the Brawl days. I don't expect a new console to hurt the modding scene. A new Smash game, maybe, even an updated port might, but old games get modded all the time. I won't rest until Cranky Kong is playable in Smash 4 Wii U.

Reactions: FlappyFalco

FlappyFalco

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
I was one of the people in the Brawl days. I don't expect a new console to hurt the modding scene. A new Smash game, maybe, even an updated port might, but old games get modded all the time. I won't rest until Cranky Kong is playable in Smash 4 Wii U.

That's very true, and really, more than 1/10th of what the Wii has sold is still nothing to scoff at. I think the press really exaggerated how poor the Wii U's sales are, when in actuality it isn't too far behind the Xbox One and has probably made Nintendo money, especially when you consider Amiibos, which the console introduced.

Also, here's a sales chart for the Smash Bros series, to put things into perspective:

sales.PNG

Smash 4 Wii U has sold better than I thought it had, greater than the population of New Zealand, to put it into perspective. If the modding community keeps going along at the rate it has, we should be good.

Last edited by FlappyFalco,

Blazingflare

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pretty simple. Copied the same info as the DLC entries so it will be on the same page (likely lines 4 or 5 does this). Then changed the ID to something else. Lines 0, 10, and 20 all seem to share the same ID, but still unsure. The slots are controlled with lines 6-9.

The way I ordered them is starting from the DLC, being 126 for lines 6-7 and 127 for 8-9,

i added 2 for both values.

So adding another stage would be

128 and 129. Like

33yJqER.png

Keep adding these values by 2 per stage and it should order properly. I have n idea how to add entries but you can add quite a lot of stages with the existing entries.

Sorry if this sounds confusing. Likely it is the same way mastakio did custom characters although i wish he shared how he actually changed what the slots CSP was and how the character shows up.
I explained how to do everything that Mastakio did to get more slots on the CSS. From changing the series icon for individual slots to changing the cosmetic IDs.
Name 0 is the Cosmetics ID
Name 4 is the Character Series Icon
7 is of course the amount of costumes
no clue what 8 is for
9 makes the slot not show up on the CSS if it's set to 1
Setting name 9 on all three mii fighter slots to 1 will break the mii slots in general until you revert it.
everything else is just random flags that don't serve any immediately obvious purpose.

To add new slots to the CSS (to make giga bowser and co playable or whatever)
Take any dummy slot in the param file and copy all of any regular fighter's name values over to it then change the cosmetic ID and character ID to whatever you want.
If you want that slot to show up after the DLC characters, you will have to change name 10 to 1 in ui_character_db.bin as well as add and modify data in the dlc_param_f.bin found inside the eshop folder under param.
When you add a slot, for some reason the picture on the Mii CSS icon will change to Mario, but otherwise it works fine. There's probably a fix, but I haven't found it yet.

I'm also looking into getting multiple soundbanks working properly for the same character in a match and might be onto something. I'll report back if I find anything.
Adding to it. Names 21-36 and 37-52 set whether costume slots 1-16 load a specific different file. I didn't have the time to figure out exactly what, but I believe one has to do with the name that shows over the character portrait. I still can't figure out what 17-20 do since changing them has no immediate effect.

Your description for what to edit for additional stages is a bit confusing, you might want to reword it or figure the stage db out a little more.
Either way, stages are on my list of things to document. I know for a fact that there are a number of unused/normally inaccessible stages in the game.
I'll probably hold off documenting assist trophy and item IDs to start on stages.

Last edited by Blazingflare,

Smashfan_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm having a little bit of trouble with dumping Smash 4. Everytime I tap on the DDDKernel bookmark, my Wii U opens up the video player and freezes. Both Xampp and Apache are running. Also, I allowed Xampp and the titledumper through my firewall, so that isn't the problem. I double-checked to make sure my IPv4 address is right, and it is. Is there anything else that could be wrong? I've tried asking this on reddit too, but haven't gotten any helpful replies.

Last edited by Smashfan_,

VGIII

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a quick or detailed tutorial that anyone knows of that shows exactly how to edit the hair for Palutena/Lucina/Corrin? I know it's all the same process, just can't figure out how to do it. I'm having trouble texture modding Rosalina. There's a tint of the original color the dress was whenever I texture mod her, and I get the feeling that material editing it would solve the problem. I already followed the readme from the material editor posted on gbatemp, but only got super lost once I opened the .csv file in a hex editor. Any help would be appreciated, gamebanana and the discord server are absolutely no help at all.

vaanrose

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a quick or detailed tutorial that anyone knows of that shows exactly how to edit the hair for Palutena/Lucina/Corrin? I know it's all the same process, just can't figure out how to do it. I'm having trouble texture modding Rosalina. There's a tint of the original color the dress was whenever I texture mod her, and I get the feeling that material editing it would solve the problem. I already followed the readme from the material editor posted on gbatemp, but only got super lost once I opened the .csv file in a hex editor. Any help would be appreciated, gamebanana and the discord server are absolutely no help at all.

Regarding your second question, most characters have baked in specular lighting on their models. It's important to take that into consideration when altering the texture. For example, on my shiny Charizard mod, making it off of Charizard's default orange skin gave him an orange sheen, so instead I made him off his white alt, as the white sheen better fit the black skin.

Editing the material would fix it, but as you've found, that stuff is complicated at the moment. So for now, if you import your textures onto color neutral palettes, whites and blacks, or the color that's closest to what you're making, you'll get better results.

VGIII

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Regarding your second question, most characters have baked in specular lighting on their models. It's important to take that into consideration when altering the texture. For example, on my shiny Charizard mod, making it off of Charizard's default orange skin gave him an orange sheen, so instead I made him off his white alt, as the white sheen better fit the black skin.

Editing the material would fix it, but as you've found, that stuff is complicated at the moment. So for now, if you import your textures onto color neutral palettes, whites and blacks, or the color that's closest to what you're making, you'll get better results.
Seems like going off of other models is my best option at the moment. Main issue is that some of my mods have parts that should be completely black, but thanks to the "tint", that's not really possibly espeically with Rosa, when all of her textures have a tint to them. For example if I use the Black/Gold as a base, then the dress is completely fine, but the accent's are tinted gold, so I moved with the stock has a back, but now everything has a tint of light blue. Guess I'll just keep shooting in the dark until something hits. Thanks though! Also I never got around that alternate slot issue I was having earlier, but it's whatevs. Main reason I wanted it so much is because I wanted my amiibo to match the texture I modded in, and their skins are built into the game, etc etc. hopefully you get the jist :P

Phanton

GBAtemp's Nui lover
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Somewhere, I have seen a Purple Shulk alt.
I have checked smashmods.com but it isn't from there it seems, do you guys know anything about it?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/FdYTKAVSsXY?si=9E-2AU0JN-4hRZi3